Need Help with Thighs

BigJasoni

Good afternoon everyone!
I posted most of this to my garrison forum as well, but wanted to throw it out to the broader community since I think there's a few people out here with 3D printing experience. When I originally started traveling down "TK road" I decided that I was going to 3d print some ROTK armor. So far, everything has worked out great; maybe a few snags and reprints, but overall, very good. However, I'm having a hard time with my thigh armor. Though I'm 6' tall, I've realized that my thighs are shorter than average and the more I trim, the more nervous I get that they're not right. Also, it's worth noting that no matter what material I use (3D print, vacuum formed, etc...) I have knee problems and I've got to keep the armor off the sides of my joints.
I built the thigh in the pictures, and have been hacking at it for a few days, but before I finalize my model and build another, can I get some advise from the community? Is it too short? I had to remove about 7cm at the bottom because it was hanging below my knees. It fits comfortably now and I realize the sniper plate will cover my knee, so I feel it's good per the ROTK CRL pics, but I really need some feedback. Also, please ignore my shirt in the picture. I've ordered an undersuit from the Darkside Closet which will serve me well for this and future (non 3d-print) builds.
Thanks a bunch,
Jason

image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg

It's a bit hard to tell without other pieces of the armor on, thighs do come up quite a way, here is a comparison

-------------

You may very well have to go wider on the thighs to allow them to come upwards, trimming 7cm off you have lost a lot of material. I would suggest trying with the ab/cod section on and see how much gap you have between that and the thighs.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

15 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

It's a bit hard to tell without other pieces of the armor on, thighs do come up quite a way

Thanks for the reply! Along with the CRL, these pics and 11B30B4's phenomenal thread at https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/44463-11b30b4’s-rotk-build/ are what I've been using as my references. Please see the below pics of me all 'blue taped' up and let me know what you think (the thigh may have slid down a little bit in the second pic since it's not connected). My concern is how high I have this above my knee, but from the pics it appears to be about right. Thanks a lot for the assistance,

Thigh_Cod__Ab_Belt(1).jpg.d207a763be2aa1fe8c990a213ea1a7a8.jpgThigh_Cod_Ab_Belt.jpeg.5cd4bd94600a3420181af222941abc7a.jpeg

Ok. Here's two more pictures to show the gaps. I put my legs together as shown in the CRL pic. Also, it looks like the posterior armor slid up a little while I was moving around. If you guys can advise, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Front2.jpg.a98534c7d7de02a32fcacc27e59f1a15.jpgSide2.jpg.382af997f83559453b2c9cf92264437d.jpg

Edited by BigJasoni
Added text

You do have a large amount of black showing between the thighs and cod, although some is showing under the belt, ultimately it will be the decision of your GML (garrison membership liaison) who will be looking after your approval, I have seen others approved with low thighs but if you compare to some screen references they have little to no black showing.

46175-1532336916.jpg

REX5AA.jpg

On 8/7/2020 at 6:05 AM, gmrhodes13 said:
It's a bit hard to tell without other pieces of the armor on, thighs do come up quite a way, here is a comparison

------------

You may very well have to go wider on the thighs to allow them to come upwards, trimming 7cm off you have lost a lot of material. I would suggest trying with the ab/cod section on and see how much gap you have between that and the thighs.

Is that a Rogue One TK? As the boots are FOTK boots...

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

1 hour ago, Tarragon said:

Is that a Rogue One TK? As the boots are FOTK boots...

Rogue One use FOTK boots, from the CRL

641px-TK_R1_boots.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

You do have a large amount of black showing between the thighs and cod, although some is showing under the belt, ultimately it will be the decision of your GML (garrison membership liaison) who will be looking after your approval, I have seen others approved with low thighs but if you compare to some screen references they have little to no black showing.

Thanks again for the assistance. I did hike the cod up a bit when I taped it, plus I think not having my drop-boxes is kind of throwing off the visual. I think I'll actually do my strapping and hit the community up again. On the plus side, I haven't heard anything negative about the lower portion above my knee. I can fix the upper gap, but the knee portion was going to send me to the doctor if I didn't get it up high enough.

Question about the cod, specifically about strapping. I've seen several posts about strapping and there almost always appears to be a strap connecting the cod to the posterior. The CRL pics show a snap down in the nether region, but doesn't mention anything about it. However, in the movie, the stormtrooper's cods appear to be swinging free, i.e. no strap. Please see the attached pics and let me know. I know that the second pic is a deathtrooper, but it illustrates my point.
Thanks!

IMG_1853.jpg

IMG_1852.jpg

I believe the CRL will be getting an update soon, that being said more reference material has become available since that CRL was made, the model may have added the snap and elastic as that's what OTTK's have and would be functional to keep the cod and butt together BUT we see plenty of images from R1 and the Mandalorian with the cod flapping in the breeze, ideally the CRL model and some images should be updated.