Captain Cardinal Build

Got some more painted this weekend and was able to assemble almost all of the upper pieces.  I am going to need to figure out how to keep this scratching easily.  I will take Glen up on the advice of putting the foam pieces under the yoke to abs so it does not scratch so easily.  Since these are fiberglass, it does not give as much.  If this keeps happening, I might need to go with the ABS yoke and abs.

I am ordering the boots and gloves for Giovanni.

Cape will be from Geeky Pink, once I get clarification on the border (silver or no border).

Biceps will be next, I have some rework to do on the seams first (need the etch in the lines better and fix my overlap issue).

oHI96J2.jpg

IiRJBJN.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
Any progress on this build?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. Had to take a short break but I’m back at it. I’ll post pictures this week. All armor should be painted by then.

• Like 2

Got more done.  Still have to finish 1 bicep, TD, paint the belt pieces, and other misc pieces.  Just about have enough money to order the cape.  As for the boots and gloves, I might just have to paint them for now.  I am having trouble finding someone who can get this done to the color I need and timely.

GcLw9VS.jpg

SgDVqTw.jpg

ni28Stf.jpg

9homV4H.jpg

TMtJFFH.jpg

Vu6Jwu5.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, NitroSpartacus said:

For a 501st costume it has the TLJ teeth but  this character is TFA era only so it couldn't be used for an approved costume.

• 1 month later...

Any more updates? Have you heard any direction on where the red should be on the gloves? The action figure just has red on the top and side of the first finger and thumb where as FOTK has the palm included. Also, did you ever get direction on the cape?

On 11/22/2020 at 12:50 AM, Sly11 said:

For a 501st costume it has the TLJ teeth but  this character is TFA era only so it couldn't be used for an approved costume.

Technically, Lucasfilm says otherwise through their toys (which we have made CRL's dedicated to toys before). Another thing to note is while the rest of the armor on the book cover shows it's TFA, we are never shown the helmet. 

Captain Cardinal Joins Hasbro's Star Wars Black Series ...

Also keep in mind that the EA game Battlefront II utilizes TLJ troopers in their cutscenes that takes place BEFORE TFA, thereby making TLJ TK's canon before TFA

Edited by Parquette

Here are my thoughts on the helmet. Per the book, Captain Cardinal existed prior to Phasma. Phasma’s original helmet what TFA. His helmet was nothing but a red version of the TFA TKs. Picture in the book is TFA...therefore helmet is TFA. He was dead...presumably, by the time TLJ came about.

Any more updates? Have you heard any direction on where the red should be on the gloves? The action figure just has red on the top and side of the first finger and thumb where as FOTK has the palm included. Also, did you ever get direction on the cape?

Got direction on the cape. Can now just afford to get it. As for the gloves and boots, I am just going to have to paint them...cannot match the paint very well and it is cost prohibitive.

2 hours ago, Parquette said:

Technically, Lucasfilm says otherwise through their toys (which we have made CRL's dedicated to toys before). Another thing to note is while the rest of the armor on the book cover shows it's TFA, we are never shown the helmet. 

Captain Cardinal Joins Hasbro's Star Wars Black Series ...

Also keep in mind that the EA game Battlefront II utilizes TLJ troopers in their cutscenes that takes place BEFORE TFA, thereby making TLJ TK's canon before TFA

LMO's have stated it needs to be TFA. Also Toys are only used as a basic reference, this character has a book that places it in a time frame. Who knows what the next LMO's will want or change, it seems to change yearly so at this stage this costume is being built based on discussions had and the book detail and original images.

The black series Cardinal toy is a lazy effort to simply use the latest molds they had of the standard trooper simply done in red plastic, but it is interesting that they produced the galaxies edge Black series helmet as TLJ

LMO's have stated it needs to be TFA. Also Toys are only used as a basic reference, this character has a book that places it in a time frame. Who knows what the next LMO's will want or change, it seems to change yearly so at this stage this costume is being built based on discussions had and the book detail and original images.
The black series Cardinal toy is a lazy effort to simply use the latest molds they had of the standard trooper simply done in red plastic, but it is interesting that they produced the galaxies edge Black series helmet as TLJ

I guess I better get this thing finished and approved.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sly11 said:

What about the Battlefront II reference? As lazy as it is to use a TLJ model instead of a TFA, that means that because it's officially in the TFA timeframe, that the TLJ buckets are part of that era. And respectfully, we were never given a reference of Captain Cardinal's helmet in the official novel artwork. 

2 hours ago, Parquette said:

What about the Battlefront II reference? As lazy as it is to use a TLJ model instead of a TFA, that means that because it's officially in the TFA timeframe, that the TLJ buckets are part of that era. And respectfully, we were never given a reference of Captain Cardinal's helmet in the official novel artwork. 

We know from the era of Phasma and Captain Cardinal that it was TFA, just because a toy supplier makes a figure or helmet a certain way does not make it right ;) From memory (and mine is bad) I'm pretty sure it mentions Cardinal is like other Stormtroopers but red and also has a cape in the book.

TLJ style buckets where not officially seen until The Last Jedi, anything prior to that would be TFA style and Cardinal is long gone by then, is a civvies in the Batuu story line. Even Galaxy's Edge is wrong, there are Stormtroopers on display wearing TLJ helmets BUT the Stormtroopers walking around are wearing TFA, who knows why, they probably don't even realize it.

This also happens with game versions, there are differences between what we see in a game opposed to realistic armor so some things will be allowed for approval and higher levels, just because an artist has drawn a character a certain way does not make it correct, we know how it SHOULD look. 

At the end of the day the LMO's make the call, they know the era the character comes from and they know what is wrong with the figure, I would suggest taking it up with them as they make the decision AND they don't always agree with other LMO's lmo@501st.com  Mountain trooper is one that in the past was never going to become a costume BUT the last LMO's decided to make it so even thought there is no screen reference, LMO's and what they allow can change significantly from year to year, who knows they may even let a Dark Rey be a costume in the future but for now that one is a BIG NO.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I am back on this now.  The armor I had received from MIMIC was too rigid and cracked....of course after I painted it red.  I have new armor coming from KB and will be able to complete once I receive.

I will still need the cape, red boots, and red gloves....as well as the helmet confirmed (TFA or TLJ).  I stand by TFA since that falls in the timeline of the book and he originated prior to Phasma joining the First Order.

• Like 2

On 5/28/2021 at 1:57 AM, CrookKnight said:

I am back on this now.  The armor I had received from MIMIC was too rigid and cracked....of course after I painted it red.  I have new armor coming from KB and will be able to complete once I receive.

I will still need the cape, red boots, and red gloves....as well as the helmet confirmed (TFA or TLJ).  I stand by TFA since that falls in the timeline of the book and he originated prior to Phasma joining the First Order.

Glad to hear you are back into this build Shawn.

The LMO's will be visiting our forums in the near future to chime in on a few CRL threads so i hope they can take a look at your progress here as well.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 8:57 AM, CrookKnight said:

Looking forward to seeing this finished Shawn :duim: