Captain Cardinal Build

I am not sure where to post this, but I am starting a Captain Cardinal Build, since the Black Series figure is coming out in September.  Since the current pictures do not show his boots or blaster, the new figure will make it possible to complete the build and hopefully get a CRL approved.

At this time, i have a KB Props TFA almost complete (personal kit).  I am going to modify it and use an Anovos TFA Helmet.  I have on that has some finish issues, so it will be a prime candidate for repainting.  I will only be able to take this so far, until i get my hands on a figure, but there are things I can start on and post some of the reference photos and book excerpts that contribute to the details of the armor.

wosm8Ds.jpg

• Like 3

REFERENCE PHOTOS:

Not sure if this is the correct version of the photo from the book, so if it not, let me know.  I did see some that appeared to be altered.

0AQqgMU.jpg

Online pictures of Black Series Figure (will be replaced with ones I take once i get a figure...)  The quality of the picture is not good enough for me to zoom in and see the detail.

tMZ39O2.jpg

f0SEYmQ.jpg

FIMYnYw.jpg

xJCOP5n.jpg

dkWkeiU.jpg

1 hour ago, Nomad834 said:

Has this build been approved because I too want to make a Captain Cardinal build and I want it to get approved even though He has not had a movie moment that can be verified as screen accurate.

Our detachment leader posted this a few days ago on the Captain Cardinal Black Series Figure thread here https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/49693-captain-cardinal-black-series/

"I have spoken with the LMO's (legion membership liaison's) and they are ok with this to go ahead.

There are a few things they would like to see in your thread with regards to research.

1. TFA helmet is what the LMO's are leaning towards as this is a TFA era character that was gone before TLJ (yeah I know Hasbro used the TLJ helmet, but it's a conversation you and I can have)

2. They would like to see research from cross-referencing as cardinal has a description in the book and now the action figure that should take care of any parts that are different from the standard Storm troopers."

• Like 1

HELMET:

I am using the Anovos Standard TFA Helmet.  The one in the pictures below is one that I already have.  It is a great candidate for painting since I have a few finish issues on it.

pIraTDb.jpg

s31GSLT.jpg

fcUYfoC.jpg

OQUqfOR.jpg

5bXTbzj.jpg

I am planning on using the following paint, unless people are aware of a better option.  I did paint a helmet for someone many years ago and it looked really good.

RPK1uOL.jpg

This was from a previous paint job using the above paint.  This is NOT the helmet I will be using.  Pictures were taken in 2017 and not the final of the helmet.  This in ONLY to get feedback on the proposed paint.

CsLW1GL.jpg

AW0bwT9.jpg

Comparison of Figure / Book Jacket back cover...Colors are difficult due to quality of pictures.  I am definately going to need a better one of the figure and another of the back of the book (if anyone has access to it).

I7Yle2v.jpg0EX0seo.jpg

Edited by CrookKnight
Adding reference helmet pictures
  • Like 1

It certainly looks red lol.

I think best practice will be to always have a reference images next to it for a colour comparison sake.

The images from the past will again differ from the Black series figure as well, so it's going to be a choice of which is closer to which.

Once you settle on the red, it may also pay to look for the closest PMS colour code to make it easier if you want pressure packs mixed to the same colour.

2 hours ago, Sly11 said:

It certainly looks red lol.

I think best practice will be to always have a reference images next to it for a colour comparison sake.

The images from the past will again differ from the Black series figure as well, so it's going to be a choice of which is closer to which.

Once you settle on the red, it may also pay to look for the closes PMS colour code to make it easier if you want pressure packs mixed to the same colour.

I added additional photos above.  I think the Cardinal Red is going to be the way to go.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Secured the action figure.  Cost me an arm and a leg, but i should get it in September.

Also, anyone know where I can source a really good blaster and sidearm for this?  I have 3D printed ones for my FOTK, but I would like something more sturdy and durable that I could paint.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CrookKnight said:

Secured the action figure.  Cost me an arm and a leg, but i should get it in September.

Also, anyone know where I can source a really good blaster and sidearm for this?  I have 3D printed ones for my FOTK, but I would like something more sturdy and durable that I could paint.

The one printed in resin is awesome and has hardly any sanding needed. Feels very sturdy and uses the fifth horseman files (so they are super accurate). I have a build thread where I am adding electronics to it. 

• Like 1

I ordered a case of what I that was Cardinal Red and ended up getting some purple paint.  That sucks...I wasted $50 on that paint.  I have new paint coming, but in the meantime, I have prepared the helmet.

First i taped up the areas I did not want to paint red.  This was a fun thing to do :(...

Vuob1rj.jpg

uTCjZPG.jpg

vQUnjmz.jpg

PcRU0RA.jpg

Once taped, I sanded down and added 2 coats of gray primer.

K0N8URH.jpg

tDCLEHC.jpg

jhZlw3I.jpg

3oJ0vrX.jpg

Now just waiting on the spray paint to come in.

• Like 1

Here are some reference posts about whats been done and talked about before. I know you were part of the conversation on one thread. Let me know if there is anything I can help with. If this CRL gets approved, I'm going to build this when my armor comes in. 

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/42833-new-characternew-crl/

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/45930-tfa-captain-cardinal/?tab=comments#comment-631811

Finished the helmet (with some minor detail work left).  Below are the photos showing the painting and the removal of the tape.

WDVFMFk.jpg

9hGCGcO.jpg

XdEkhuu.jpg

WDYLjfs.jpg

Finished Helmet:

i1loyFb.jpg

TsXwDOa.jpg

Ht9qNHs.jpg

SRkcgJF.jpg

Next I will begin the chest armor, yoke and backpiece.

• Like 6

I don't want to hijack Shawn's awesome build thread with my escapade today so I'll post a link to it instead...

Here are the photos I took after I managed to distract my kids so I can take them. If anyone needs anything clearer, closer up, etc. etc. Just shoot me a message. Enjoy and hope these help get the CRL done!

IMG_7823.JPG

IMG_7825.JPG

IMG_7826.JPG

IMG_7827.JPG

IMG_7828.JPG

IMG_7829.JPG

IMG_7830.JPG

IMG_7831.JPG

IMG_7832.JPG

IMG_7833.JPG

IMG_7834.JPG

IMG_7835.JPG

IMG_7836.JPG

IMG_7837.JPG

IMG_7838.JPG

IMG_7839.JPG

Edited by NitroSpartacus

Moving this thread over to the new Captain Cardinal section https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/228-captain-cardinal-build-threads/

• Like 1