Revvek’s FOTK build [KB 2020]

Revvek

40 minutes ago, Guest Boramere said:

Blasters? Other Builds to make it easy for others to find/learn from. Only snippets here. 

Yeah... that’s what I was thinking. 
need to figure out the proper place(s) to do 2 different F-11D and an SE-44C

Edited by Revvek

6 hours ago, Revvek said:

Hmmm Question....

Should I include my several blaster builds here as well? Or make other build logs for those... hmmmm

It's nice to have separate build threads for weapons as some don't always look in armor build threads ;) 

7 hours ago, Revvek said:

Finally an update, the long weekend gave me time to get started learning how to trim and refine parts. 

Here is the first completed part

Ready for paint. 

I am 90% sure I will paint everything at the moment, since so many parts will require it. 

Just make sure you go over all the edges with some fine wet and dry sandpaper and get them nice and smooth or they can catch on things like the undersuit and gaskets.

Also scuff all of the armor with sandpaper before applying paint

18 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

It's nice to have separate build threads for weapons as some don't always look in armor build threads ;) 

Where would be the proper place to start 2 or 3 blaster build logs?

5 hours ago, Revvek said:

Where would be the proper place to start 2 or 3 blaster build logs?

First Order Battle Groups now houses everything except 3D files for FOTK's check out the Armory section

• Like 2

Time to work on a few more smaller parts to get used to working ABS!

the Knee Plates

59kG5mo.jpg

after trimming things to the lines I drew around the sides I go in and sand everything up nice and smooth.

mVeAQv1.jpg

these both seem to have a bit of a twist to them that I may need to try and remove with some heat...

there are also a few minor bumps and dimples to remove on the left side of this first one, and I may try to give a hint more return on the top edge on that side as well.

ezhNqo7.jpg

scary! first time learning to use just enough heat to get the minor adjustments I need on parts that will be kind of hard to replace easily! (unless I find a 3D printed version, but that wouldn't match the KB set?)

• 2 weeks later...

not a lot of progress this week... I need to learn how to use heat to reform things without destroying them!

I was playing with my heat gun to try and remove some of the twist in these and nearly destroyed one when one particular area got to hot and started to shrink or sag or something...  but I was able to minimize it... perhaps my heathen is to hot and focused...  

I need gloves good for working with hot things as well!

I think I'm done with these for now.  what to work on next.

Dib2R3Z.jpg

It does take some practice using heat on abs, it can go from slightly heated to molten mess very quickly. I use a heat gun but I've had a lot of practice and pretty confident using it, many use the hot water bath method. When possible I try to have a plug/piece of wood behind areas I am trying to modify, it helps keep it nice and straight, if you get in trouble having wood on both sides can help any bumps or lumps

• Like 1

I have decided, I will work on the Spats next. they are still small, but they are also my first needing to be glued in places. 

here they are before trimming.

fOwhhYU.jpg

I need to decide what glue I want to use. it seems like the Greeblie will be good with e6000, but what to use for putting together the ABS portions... hmm

On areas that don't move I used JB weld, but on areas that can flex E6000 is a lot more forgiving. There is another member who encountered small spats and is adding shims 

after inspecting the greebly parts, I discovered, they are covered in bubble pits. many of those areas would be difficult to rebuild...

84DlzQP.jpg

I then remembered I had discussed a more accurate greebly with Jon Watson a few months back. 

I asked him about them again and now I can print some!

one down for testing and sizing.

YnDaNx5.jpg

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, mikidymac said:

Where did you get the greeble files? I would rather print some that try to refinish my KB ones.

I found one on Thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4005186 also the picatinny rail https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4025519

1 hour ago, mikidymac said:

Where did you get the greeble files? I would rather print some that try to refinish my KB ones.

Jon Watson sent the file to me.  He is in the FOTK FB group and on here. (I don't know his forum name)

he makes that really nice Backpack kit.

Edited by Revvek
added a helpful note

2 hours ago, Revvek said:

Jon Watson sent the file to me.  He is in the FOTK FB group and on here. (I don't know his forum name)

he makes that really nice Backpack kit.

KB's FOTK group?

I started to trim my first Spat. 

here a re a few process photos. 

first I use the big snips to take major extra portions off where possible. 

7dmkKsh.jpg

then I used an xacto to cut some score lines close to where I planned to trim to. 

8tOBq32.jpg

used some smaller snips to cut a few places to help remove some more.

VprnnUX.jpg

then some pliers to bend and break off the extra.  

(don't put the score line to close to your final size, give it some space)

FnUPwZU.jpg

it's ready for sanding.

lxFFHcq.jpg

I used a Dremel drum sander again for any finish bulk clean up, before final hand sanding. 

KMAbeN3.jpg

Edited by Revvek

I need to sort out if I'm going to keep the tab I left on one side or remove it...

there is a rather high ledge difference between the sides.

zsmJqDp.jpg

I was thinking maybe I will use this side for Velcro and it may be thick enough to level things out.

sNwzeR5.jpg

lines up 

k5U6Bdq.jpg

Edited by Revvek

Shame KB hasn't updated the clip recess alignments, I know it's pretty common. Coming along nicely

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Revvek said:

I can't just post someone's FB profile or such, without his permission.  no not the KB group

And I would never ask you to , good man :duim:

15 hours ago, Sly11 said:

And I would never ask you to , good man :duim:

I got this link to share for Jon.

First Order Snowtrooper Build Group

and he suggested using FB Messenger to contact him.

Jon Watson

he also does runs of a nice trooper backpack when there is enough interest.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Revvek said:

I got this link to share for Jon.

First Order Snowtrooper Build Group

and he suggested using FB Messenger to contact him.

Jon Watson

he also does runs of a nice trooper backpack when there is enough interest.

His Snowy back packs are absolutely beautiful, his workmanship is top notch.