Cadet #2025 (Stephanie) Build thread!

Hello everyone! Today is BBB day for me!!!!! Im so excited I have a million questions and dont even know where to start! I would appreciate and starting off advice or any advice really. I ordered a ANH kit from Daves Dark side Depot. Thank you in advance!!

03f17bb61a22afb79ce3654fb1795cb8.jpg

Stephanie Felton Cadet #2025

• Like 4

Happy days, nothing like BBB photos, looking forward to seeing your build, remember research is the key and measure twice and cut once, good luck 

• Like 1

So this is my first of a million questions I have right now, I want to go straight for centurion approval and for that I need “green bubble eyes” and the ones that come with my kit are flat can I use these or do I need to get different ones?

Stephanie Felton Cadet #2025

Hi Stephanie! So excited for you and your BBB day! I remember the feeling when I had mine.

As for the lens, if you’re going for a Hero build and need bubbles lenses, the flat lens material will not work as-is. I’ve been building a Stunt myself, but I’m sure somebody will come around with more information on how to get bubble lenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firstly are you building a Stunt or Hero version, CRL's here:

https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_anh_stunt 

https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_anh_hero

For stunt you don't need bubble lenses: Lenses are flat material, green in color, sufficiently dark enough to obscure the costumer's eyes.

Here is a spreadsheet of the differences

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10tEVteIreh6AHMogW010cuH_Bf8TBfU6/view

Some bubble lens sellers in this thread https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/44782-bubble-lenses/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TKSpartan said:

Hi, Here  you can find a quick guide on each Stormtrooper Ep 4,5,6

Cheers  :salute:

It's ANH Ep4,  just waiting to see if its Stunt or Hero version 

• Like 1

Have a look at the datasheet I posted there are differences between hero and stunt. lots of Hero pieces are different, lenses, ears, screws, holster ;)

• Like 1

Hey everyone so l had a question about types of paint for the details on the helmet, I have a bunch of this paint left over from another project I was doing recently (I have it in black for the helmet details) and wanted to know if this would be any good or if there is another paint that is recommended. Thank you!

1dba7ed685ddd068bf5f75f8ecbccd97.jpg

Stephanie Cadet #2025

Hi Stephanie!  The kind of paint you have there is acrylic, which may adhere to your helmet (and ab buttons) at first, but unfortunately it will simply not last, and will flake/rub off very quickly.  Water based paints simply do not bond to plastic the way enamel (oil based) paints do, so it's better to go with enamel from the start.  (Trust me on this one).

You can pick up small containers of enamel paint at any hobby/craft store, and I also suggest purchasing some quality brushes to apply it with, not those cheap "throw away" ones you find at discount stores.  Bad brushes = bad results.  I would also recommend picking up some mineral spirits to clean the brushes with (thoroughly) after each use.

This is your build thread, so please feel free to ask ALL the questions you have... we are here to help every step of the way!  Posting photos will be very helpful, especially when you come across an issue that you need assistance with.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

Hi Stephanie!  The kind of paint you have there is acrylic, which may adhere to your helmet (and ab buttons) at first, but unfortunately it will simply not last, and will flake/rub off very quickly.  Water based paints simply do not bond to plastic the way enamel (oil based) paints do, so it's better to go with enamel from the start.  (Trust me on this one).

You can pick up small containers of enamel paint at any hobby/craft store, and I also suggest purchasing some quality brushes to apply it with, not those cheap "throw away" ones you find at discount stores.  Bad brushes = bad results.  I would also recommend picking up some mineral spirits to clean the brushes with (thoroughly) after each use.

This is your build thread, so please feel free to ask ALL the questions you have... we are here to help every step of the way!  Posting photos will be very helpful, especially when you come across an issue that you need assistance with.

I picked up a bottle of Model Master Semi-gloss black for my helmet details only to realize that after I had started painting, it was the acrylic. It looks good now, but your comment has me concerned. Should I remove it and redo the vocoder in enamel or wait and address it if I have issues later? I guess my concern is paint chipping off during a troop and looking sub-optimal.

I have found acrylic comes off plastic quite easily, I use it for weathering on some projects as it's easy to rub off, using enamel based paint will make sure it lasts

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Firedog said:

I picked up a bottle of Model Master Semi-gloss black for my helmet details only to realize that after I had started painting, it was the acrylic. It looks good now, but your comment has me concerned. Should I remove it and redo the vocoder in enamel or wait and address it if I have issues later? I guess my concern is paint chipping off during a troop and looking sub-optimal.

The Testors Model Masters line comes in both acrylic and enamel, but unfortunately has a limited number of colors so I would go with their regular line of model paints.

To remove the acrylic paint I suggest Goo-Gone or a similar citrus based product, NOT acetone or the like.

Satin Black:  Testors # 1747 for vocoder, trap/ tear/ear bar outlines/stripe(s), TD screw heads.

Gloss white   for all rivet heads (excluding cod rivet).  (Hint:  Sand the heads down first for better adhesion).  ;)

I believe Dave supplies the decals** for the traps and tube stripes, but if you decide to paint them go with:

Gray:  Testors # 1138  for trap/tear drop/ear bar background, ANH frown and ab-buttons.

French Blue:  Testors # 2715  ForTube stripes/ab buttons.

**Decals are acceptable for all levels.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

The Testors Model Masters line comes in both acrylic and enamel, but unfortunately has a limited number of colors so I would go with their regular line of model paints.

To remove the acrylic paint I suggest Goo-Gone or a similar citrus based product, NOT acetone or the like.

Satin Black:  Testors # 1747 for vocoder, trap/ tear/ear bar outlines/stripe(s), TD screw heads.

Gloss white   for all rivet heads (excluding cod rivet).  (Hint:  Sand the heads down first for better adhesion).  ;)

I believe Dave supplies the decals** for the traps and tube stripes, but if you decide to paint them go with:

Gray:  Testors # 1138  for trap/tear drop/ear bar background, ANH frown and ab-buttons.

French Blue:  Testors # 2715  ForTube stripes/ab buttons.

**Decals are acceptable for all levels.

After I painted my traps and tears, they looked pretty decent. I was going to hand paint everything, but when I got to the point of trying to paint the lines on the traps, I quickly realized my hands weren't steady enough, so those decals Dave provided started looking better and better. Needless to say, I removed the paint and took the easy route. The decals he provides look really good on the helmet.

• Like 1

After I painted my traps and tears, they looked pretty decent. I was going to hand paint everything, but when I got to the point of trying to paint the lines on the traps, I quickly realized my hands weren't steady enough, so those decals Dave provided started looking better and better. Needless to say, I removed the paint and took the easy route. The decals he provides look really good on the helmet.

Thats good to know I was debating on using the decals or not

Stephanie | Cadet #2025

For fine lines that are a little wonky you can go over with a black permanent marker, a little easier to control compared with a paint brush ;) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

For fine lines that are a little wonky you can go over with a black permanent marker, a little easier to control compared with a paint brush ;) 

That’s good advice. I had thought about a paint pen as well, if I can find one in enamel semi-gloss black. I would like to have all hand painted and may tackle this in the future.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gmrhodes13 said:

A paint marker is a good choice too, or trust your pulse with a very fine brush.

• Like 1

PROGRESS UPDATE!!

I used the dremal tool / sanding method that was recommended to me by someone, flattening the teeth from the inside with the dremal tool until there were holes and then sanding the edges by hand) and this is the result!

Stephanie | Cadet #2025

Adjustments.thumb.jpg.29e0db4022de321254d51634113f66c1.jpgAdjustments.thumb.jpg.4193da769b129ded186098fd35ee6a01.jpg

Nice work, I use 3 dremels (well knock off cheaper ones) each has as different tip as I hate changing them while trimming.

You definitely want to finish off those areas with hand files, much better control and can really get into the corners.

Can normally find cheap sets on eBay, this sort of thing

s-l500.jpg

• Like 1

Adding to what Glen suggested, beware of not cross the teeth lines, just finish the corners.  It's better to trim the less than over trim

fP9H9To.jpg

Reference Images

sBabzpZ.jpg  7DkP0UH.jpg   

JB76s72.jpg

Cheers

• Like 3

You can find a set of the "Needle files" at Lowe's for less than 4 bucks, and as Glen mentioned, they really do give you control on the edges.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Project-Source-6-Piece-Needle-File-Set/4777067