Erinatron WTF ANH Stunt Shorty Build

erinatron

Hello world! I have been wanting to build a Stormtrooper kit for some time but have been SUPER intimidated. That is until I met a lovely 501st member who introduced me to this site (thanks Brian!). I purchased my WTF kit and while I waited for it to arrive I spent my free time here. I am 5'2 so I have been focusing on the shorter builds. I ended up choosing WTF since they make a "shortie" kit.  As this is my first build, I welcome any and all comments and advice! I'm hoping I figured out how to use Imgur correctly. This was super helpful for those of us who are using Imgur for the first time. 

And now for the obligatory BBB photo! 

roiKuS4.jpg

Everyone is excited for me to open it...

vI46ixu.jpg

oSjOa6i.jpg

And here we go... feeling intimidated again. Time to start trimming. I have been looking at photos from other threads to see how much to trim. I'm so nervous I am going to trim off too much and completely ruin everything. *Deep breaths*  Here we go! 

• Like 1

Hi Erina, Welcome to FISD and congratulations for your BBB Day !!  :salute:  

Yes, the first day you see all those plastic pieces is intimidating, but if all of us did it , why you not? I'm sure you're going to make your dream come true. remember. Post Tons of photos, ask questions, review  the CRL reference photos , other troopers build threads, measure twice or more, cut and glue once. 

Can you tell us more about wich info have you checked here in FISD please, so we can recommend other sources here.

We are here to help :salute::salute::salute:

• Like 1

Welcome to the FISD!

Walt makes a great kit and don't worry about messing something up. We all make mistakes that can be fixed. Plus Walt offers parts:D

Do your research, ask some questions, have fun along the way!

Good Luck Future Trooper!:duim:

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Erina, we all felt intimidated the first time we built armour, but is is easier then you think. Look at it this way, you are going to learn some new skills, your confidence will skyrocket after you make your first few cuts and trims, and you have the support of the detachment right there with you all the way.
I look forward to following your progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 7/16/2020 at 8:46 PM, TKSpartan said:

Hi Erina, Welcome to FISD and congratulations for your BBB Day !!  :salute:  

Yes, the first day you see all those plastic pieces is intimidating, but if all of us did it , why you not? I'm sure you're going to make your dream come true. remember. Post Tons of photos, ask questions, review  the CRL reference photos , other troopers build threads, measure twice or more, cut and glue once. 

Can you tell us more about wich info have you checked here in FISD please, so we can recommend other sources here.

We are here to help :salute::salute::salute:

Thanks! My first stop was the "Getting Started-Read this first" forum then moved onto various builds like Crickets and Sha Shas. I printed out the CRL to reference. I've been bookmaking like a fiend! Any other resources would be most welcome! 

Edited by erinatron

Welcome, Erina! You're definitely on the right track with Christine's and ShaSha's builds! If you hadn't already found it, here is a link to resources I spent the past eight months collecting and bookmarking, like you. Hopefully it can be of help!

• Like 1

On 7/20/2020 at 7:20 AM, MaskedVengeance said:

Welcome, Erina! You're definitely on the right track with Christine's and ShaSha's builds! If you hadn't already found it, here is a link to resources I spent the past eight months collecting and bookmarking, like you. Hopefully it can be of help!

This. Is. AMAZING!!!!! Thank you so much! 

I decided to start with the arms and work from there. First step was trimming. I did a combo of cutting with curved Lexan scissors and score/snap technique. I started with the wrists since I knew I was shooting for centurian and those are completely cut off. I didn't sand them down too well since I figured I would have to trim some length off. Next was getting the return edges down. I went with 3mm (1/8in) based on other builds and videos. I think I figured out L and R but confirmation would be great!! 

L forearm- Front: 11 dimples, Back: has the curve at the bottom

R forearm- Front: 12 dimples, Back: straight

L Bicep: Front: little swoop up?, Back: no dimple/thumb print 

R Bicep: Front: Straight?, Back: dimple/thumb print 

TlQo9T4.jpg

HnEHOkd.jpg

Next step is getting the sides trimmed down. 

lXj5maR.jpg

The cover strip for the arms is 15mm, which means I need to trim these sides! Figured I would leave an extra 1-2mm so I'll trim down the sides to 8.5 mm. 

It seems most people tape/put in the inner cover strip on the outside and make adjustments from the inside. But I did see a build of a shorter trooper that adjusted both front and back. Thoughts?? 

Looking good so far. I believe you have the outside bicep pcs. wrong. The outer marked left is the right one. With  Walt's kit the right bicep is pretty much round but the left is more oval then round. A water bath later will help round it out. 

Keep up the great work Future Trooper!

• Like 2

Great to see this underway, and that you are using a build thread. It's always the group knowledge that you will find most helpful for your build so take your time and ask plenty of questions along the way :popcorn: