Tarok's HWT Slow Build

tarok

So... here we are again :) Because I like to start a few dozen projects, and never finish any take a really long time to finish them, I thought what the heck, what's one more LOL :laugh1:

To set some expectations up front: I'm not interested in taking the build to Centurion level, my HWT will mostly be clean, as this is going to be a dual TK/HWT costume. I'm also in Australia, where we don't have access to the wide range of oil pan options our US brethren have (unless one fancies paying $$ in shipping).  

I haven't decided which BFG I like yet. In the absence of the Z-6 rotary blaster cannon, I'm leaning toward the T-21. Realistically though I'll probably just end up submitting my approval paperwork without a blaster. :rolleyes:

The oil change pan container I've gone with is the Daytona 8L. At 325mm wide and approx. 510mm high (once the pour plug has been removed), it's about 10% smaller than the Wedco 12.5 quart pan. As such, I'll be scaling the suggested height and width measurements featured in the TIP: NOTE ON HWT PACK SPECS thread down by 10%. My pan measures 100mm thick/deep, so I see no need to scale this particular dimension, but, hey, anything can happen.

One of the concerns I have is with the curvature of the bottom of the pan, but a garrison mate asked about this on these fine forums a couple of months ago, and the general opinion was that it should be fine. Hopefully that position hasn't changed.

Some initial WIP photos: 

Razorsaw and Xacto saw blade made quick work of the long funnels/pour plugs.

ekYKtWc.jpg

One of the great features of this pan is the square funnel/drip area, which slides neatly over the TK backplate box. It should make wearability a bit easier.

SnAr9nk.jpg

I did a quick mock up with appropriately sized (scaled) junk lying around the garage to see how it might look.  Are the visible arms of the "X" going to be an issue? I think it adds character.

nxXNiCt.jpg

At this point I'm uncertain whether I'll use Eric's 3D files, or just hunt down tupperware boxes. I had a quick look online last night and I couldn't find anything within the dimensional tolerances I would find suitable.

A question for those in the know: does the width of the webbing straps matter?

Finally, I've ordered a pauldron from this fellow: Stormtrooper Pauldron Shoulder Pad Sandtrooper Armor (Orange)

Initial thoughts? If it's too light, I can darken it. If it's too thin, I'll pad it out. 

• Like 1

Great to see another HWT build! I agree that having the back plate box fit within the indent on your pack should be helpful. As for the width of the straps, there are a couple schools of though. Some go for wider padded straps (think like a nice backpack), but to me those look a little out of place with the whole kit. The other option is a more narrow (1" or 2.5cm) strap which you could slip into the gap between your shoulder bridges and bells. This would hide the straps more, and also have them resting on your actual shoulders, versus on top of your armor bridges or bells.

I myself am hoping to integrate a mix of Eric's 3D parts with my plastic containers and photo box. And finally, in regards to the pauldron, I think you'll just need to wait and see what the actual orange color is once it arrives. Photos can sometimes be deceiving, but initially the one you linked to appears a bit light. Keep up the great work, and don't let @justjoseph63 pressure you too hard into weathering your armor. Or perhaps give in and use the washable makeup method. Haha.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MaskedVengeance said:

Keep up the great work, and don't let @justjoseph63 pressure you too hard into weathering your armor. 

Pressure?  Me? :laugh1:  (Well, perhaps a little).  I look at it this way..  Theoretically, HWTs are deployed directly onto front lines, where (unlike a TK stationed on a ship) we are exposed to lots of enemy fire from all manner of weapons.  Having that extra weathering (battle damage) is part of what makes us unique (along with being able to carry BFGs, lol) which is why the CRLs require it at Expert Infantry level and above.  Otherwise, you kinda' look like a first-time HWT that just stepped off of the transport ship. ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

Pressure?  Me? :laugh1:  (Well, perhaps a little).  I look at it this way..  Theoretically, HWTs are deployed directly onto front lines, where (unlike a TK stationed on a ship) we are exposed to lots of enemy fire from all manner of weapons.  Having that extra weathering (battle damage) is part of what makes us unique (along with being able to carry BFGs, lol) which is why the CRLs require it at Expert Infantry level and above.  Otherwise, you kinda' look like a first-time HWT that just stepped off of the transport ship. ;)

And sadly those clean newbies get dropped immediately. But boy they looked clean doing it.:laugh1:

All serious now. Thanks for the cover!:salute:

• Like 2

Manny the Mannequin has had half a Red Bull: he's got a wing! :rolleyes:

The pauldron arrived today. My initial concerns about the colour were misplaced: I think the orange is passable. What say you fine peoples?

63soisy.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

With the gradual lifting of pandemic restrictions and the chance to catch up with good mates again, my mojo has started coming back. The fact that I eventually managed to get my little Ender 3 working helped too :)

As mentioned above, we can't get the Wedco oil change pan here in Oz (unless you want to pay a fortune in shipping), but the Daytona pan is readily available, albeit 10% smaller than the former. A fellow builder and garrison mate printed Eric's awesome pack parts (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4462006) at 90%. Size wise they look good. However my concern is that to have them sit flush on the pan, we'll need to cut much of the "X" away, thus weakening the structure of the pan. A further, but related, concern was how to securely fix the parts to the pan. The weight of the parts was less of a concern if they're printed with a low infill %.

Encouraged by the fact that they look good, I decided to prototype some changes to Eric's files, starting with the flap box.

I began by hollowing the box (walls are 3.5mm thick), and then removed the floor. Next up, I added pillars to each corner, with 3mm holes aligned to those in the lid (after reducing the scale to 90%, I had to enlarge the lid holes) so in theory I should be able to attach the box using M3 screws. To reduce print times, I decided to split the lid from the box (eliminating the need for excessive print supports). A further efficiency update was made by merging the flaps with the lid (this would save a couple of hours print time).

d73vPlr.jpg

Before spending several hours printing the entire box, I took a cut of the bottom 12 layers (an arbitrary number really) and ran off a test print. Overlaid on the oil pan, the part looks good, but I think I'm going to try reduce the size of the pillars, maybe curve them a bit. We'll still need to reinforce the inside of the pan with plastic card stock (I'm thinking just plastic signage from the local hardware store), but at least we'll be removing less of the pan, only those sections where the box walls need to cut through. The test print can be used as a stencil on the outside, but I've been contemplating using it as a gasket on the inside simply to further strengthen the structure.

0QHewLR.jpg

Come Xmas break, printing begins in earnest. :smiley-sw013:

• Like 2

Great to see you back at this one Rudi, I have aspirations of converting my Stunt to a HWT, so I'm very keen to see how this pack build comes together. :popcorn:

• Like 1

Very cool mods to Eric’s parts! I might be interested in using them myself, if you’d be willing to share your final files. Keep up the good work!

Sent via Imperial Tapatalk Comms

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MaskedVengeance said:

I might be interested in using them myself, if you’d be willing to share your final files. 

That's a plus 1 here, my backpack is pre updated HWT requirements and is long overdue for an update.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks @MaskedVengeance and @gmrhodes13, I'll be happy to share the files when they're done.... "when" is the question LOL :laugh1:

While I should have been modding and printing pack parts, I got a wee bit distracted and accidentally printed a DLT-19 instead. All parts taking longer than an estimated 16 hours to print were split in 2, which means more time finishing but less time listening to the missus moan about a noisy printer in the early hours of the morning. ;)

The model is off Thingiverse (Star Wars DLT-19X blaster (MG 34) by surfinbird132), minus the scope, plus the bipod. Whilst it's certainly no 3DPropsNL model, it's close enough for the occasional troop.

All parted printed in PLA+, 0.2 layer height, 4 walls, 25% infill. I've already started giving some of the parts a light sand with 400 grit wet/dry. Thereafter they'll get a coat of UV resin, another rub down, and a final coat of resin.

UvjePyq.jpg

Edited by tarok
  • Like 2

Just a quick mock up of the pack before I spend several days printing parts. These are scaled to 90% to match the relative sizing of the oil pan.

I don’t think a HWT has come across my GMLs desk yet, so he may be looking to the detachment for advice at some point. So, with all that in mind, am I on the right track here?

dd113aea918018b1e55d29ba218dd4ec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
How is the backpack coming along?

Super slow

Got distracted by another project, then had a printer issue which I haven’t had time to remedy.

That said, I’ve printed 2 of the smaller boxes and the cup. Radio box is being printed as 4 parts, of which 2 are done.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Still slow ? default_wink.png

Haha, I “upgraded” my printer which lead to other issues… such as it not working

And then I got distracted by another costume build

I should be back to this one in a couple of months though.

• Like 1