Spraying white finish to match bare ABS

I’m looking to spray paint a part white (assuming I have a good color match to the ABS) to match the finish/appearance of my bare ABS armor. Have any of you successfully done this and do you have any tips? Should I finish in gloss or satin? Acrylic or enamel? I know orange peel is always gonna be a challenge.

I have had some luck but it's a case of either going to an auto paint supplier and having a color match made in spray paint OR like I do eye match the paint yourself, helps having a small air compressor, it is time consuming but can be done. Although I was lucky and found a matching base white that goes with my Anovos FOTK helmet perfectly, you may be able to find a paint that matches well but it will be a case of trial and error.

You can also match the shine with compound polish, you can even dull down depending on how much shine your armor has. 

Again it can be a lot of work but depends why and what you have to fix. 

• Like 1

I went to car supplier who had a lot of colourcards in several shades of white. It took a while to find the matching one. But eventually i got two rattlecans filled. With a label on the cans I´m able to get the colour any time I will need one. I only used it on my helmet. I don´t like the idea painting the whole armor, because of chipping and cracking due to the flex ABS has.

• Like 1

Got lucky and found that rustoleum white was a near match to my ATA ABS. I primed/painted/clear coated (acrylic) the right half and kept the left half bare. Then after wet sanding and polishing (lower pic) to remove the orange peel, it looks pretty much identical to the bare ABS! Sorry the sand job looks sloppy, just a quick test run.

61af725d908d22b6eb766349eb71ef73.jpg
a432211bd19d35767b164abbe1664295.plist

• 1 year later...
On 7/8/2020 at 11:37 AM, DarthOnarged said:

Got lucky and found that rustoleum white was a near match to my ATA ABS. I primed/painted/clear coated (acrylic) the right half and kept the left half bare. Then after wet sanding and polishing (lower pic) to remove the orange peel, it looks pretty much identical to the bare ABS! Sorry the sand job looks sloppy, just a quick test run.

Do you remember the process of wet sanding and polishing that you used? It looks like it worked really well. I was curious what grit number and what polish you used.

Edited by JBar

Normally you would use an automotive cutting polish, there are different grades course, medium and fine, I don't use the medium. You will also need to use fine sandpaper, 1200 wet and dry is the most common but finishing with an ultrafine 2,000 grit will save you some work polishing

Here's a helpful thread

And here

• Like 1