ESB Common Issues?

Wiseguy804

Hey everyone I am new to all of this and have a serious question. I am having trouble on pulling the trigger on an ANH or ESB build. I love them both, however I can’t help but notice the significant amount of ANH vs ESB (over 4,000 ANH and over 200 ESB). I am curious how it may affect my trooping experience if I chose the ESB build. I am looking for genuine insight from someone who has trooped as an ESB and what the positives and the negative effects may be from choosing that build. I really appreciate all and any informative shared experiences. I look forward to hearing from you! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for whatever you like best! There is no difference when it comes to trooping.

The differences between ANH and ESB are super subtle, esp for the regular person looking in, so sometimes in a sea of TKs I would switch into my ESB so I can pick out myself in photos :D. I get excited when I see ESBs when trooping.

Hm, I suppose for official LFL castings there might be specific requirements, but for most garrisons that's few and far in between, I wouldn't worry about that.

Thanks for the response. I have been so torn on this, being that this will be my first build ever and don’t want to regret my decision. I keep flip flopping and I most likely will build both eventually. I have done extensive research on all of the differences and ESB seems to have a lot of the original kinks worked out and is a cleaned up/less rough version. Trimming around the eyes, hanging looped holster vs riveted, gloves, hand plating etc. I greatly appreciate the insight as an ESB Stormtrooper with experience in this area. You definitely have very valid points. If there is anything else you can think of I am all ears. I am pulling the trigger in 2 weeks on my build choice and would love any if not all of the feedback. Also I have a friend who will be joining with me and we have decided to build the same armor...whatever that may be lol.

When ever I wear my ESB I get asked on occasion why are my teeth black and different to other stormtroopers, apart from that no real problems. I think some don't realise how little you have to change to have both ANH and ESB versions with one set of armor ;) 

In case you haven't seen it there is a nice comparison guide here https://drive.google.com/file/d/10tEVteIreh6AHMogW010cuH_Bf8TBfU6/view

I recently trooped ( last year 2019) the ESB movie in concert event here in the uk . 

As I have an esb helmet in my collection , I decided to convert my new hope armour into esb just for this event .

it was fairly simple , I just picked up,some esb gloves and hand guards from RS Propmasters , made some holster straps from scrap leather , and wore my black toothed esb helmet . A very simple conversion that easily converted back to a.n.h. 

Really it's just the helmet paint scheme that is obviously different . 

By all means go esb ....dare to be different !!!! Lol . 

I'm a ROTJ and honestly its quite rare that anyone from the public ever notices. And the ROTJ differences are far more pronounced than the ESB.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Colin1138 said:

I'm a ROTJ and honestly its quite rare that anyone from the public ever notices. And the ROTJ differences are far more pronounced than the ESB.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

But once you crossed into the 501st or cosplay territory and learned the details you cannot unsee that. your vision gets recalibrated massively once you end up on forums like this. One year ago stormtroopers were all the same for me, too.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, masterx244 said:

But once you crossed into the 501st or cosplay territory and learned the details you cannot unsee that. your vision gets recalibrated massively once you end up on forums like this. One year ago stormtroopers were all the same for me, too.

DEFINITELY!  Most of the time the public just sees white armor, and since the differences can be subtle to the "untrained" eye they rarely notice them.  BUT, as Tom mentioned, once you are familiar with the various types of armor the differences will stand out.  If ESB is your favorite choice, I for one say follow that gut feeling and you can't go wrong!

One thing I would strongly suggest is that you not only look over some of the build threads here, but start your own.  This way, you can ask all the questions you may have (and there will be lots) and post up photos.  Posting photos is very important, and I can't stress that enough.  You can not only show off your progress, but if you have an issue we can better give you more precise information on how to remedy it.  It takes a little extra time, but trust me on this one.

We are here to help every step of the way.

59 minutes ago, justjoseph63 said:

DEFINITELY!  Most of the time the public just sees white armor, and since the differences can be subtle to the "untrained" eye they rarely notice them.  BUT, as Tom mentioned, once you are familiar with the various types of armor the differences will stand out.  If ESB is your favorite choice, I for one say follow that gut feeling and you can't go wrong!

One thing I would strongly suggest is that you not only look over some of the build threads here, but start your own.  This way, you can ask all the questions you may have (and there will be lots) and post up photos.  Posting photos is very important, and I can't stress that enough.  You can not only show off your progress, but if you have an issue we can better give you more precise information on how to remedy it.  It takes a little extra time, but trust me on this one.

We are here to help every step of the way.

You even manage to spot wardrobe malfunctions in the movies itself. (ESB got 3 that i know of, one must have been a bracket that failed at the AB plate)

5 hours ago, masterx244 said:

You even manage to spot wardrobe malfunctions in the movies itself. (ESB got 3 that i know of, one must have been a bracket that failed at the AB plate)

Same, I almost can’t watch a Star Wars movie without noticing a mistake(rotating shins, gaffers tape, etc.). All good fun though, my family is baffled every time I point something like that out:laugh1:

Haha nice! I have been reading so many threads and watching so many videos that I felt like I knew everything there was to know about ANH and ESB builds. And yet there seems to always be just one more thing that I didn’t know, lol. Have you ever been excluded from any Troops or Events because you have an ESB build though? I am almost 100% sure I’m going to build ESB but I’m curious as to what I may encounter in that area. Thanks again for the insight. All of you have been very informative. :)

12 hours ago, Wiseguy804 said:

Have you ever been excluded from any Troops or Events because you have an ESB build though? 

I have been on a lot of troops, and never heard of any type of SW costume being excluded.  The only exception may be children's hospitals, where characters like this (or even Tusken Raiders) may be a little too intense or scary for very young kids.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wiseguy804 said:

So there’s never a call for a particular style of trooper?

Not generally for a specific style/look of Stormtrooper, majority of the public don't know any difference, but a specific style/look can requested occasionally by LFL/Disney request for a specific event (but those are pretty rare) ;) 

How do you guys feel about an RS Propmasters ESB fully finished commission? From what I can tell, it seems to be the most legit screen accurate build out there. I figure if I go ESB, I can use the armor and change out the bucket, gloves and belt to go ANH or ANH Hero. Down the road of course...trying to stay married if you know what I mean lol. Also I can alter the interior to add cooling, padding, mic etc. I’m not the most crafty person and don’t have a workplace to build it myself. Nor do I have as much free time as it may take to complete a build. Though I wish I did. I do however work a lot of OT and can pay for for it...Like ripping off a band aid. Either way my time is being committed to the same resolve none the less. Thoughts?

As long as you give detailed measurements you should be ok, occasionally I've seen a few having to adjust strapping but most seem happy with their purchases. 

• Like 1

I’ve read a lot about sizing through different vendors. I am 6’ and about 205 lbs. From what I’ve read, it seems that I shouldn’t have an issue. Fingers crossed.

I’ve read a lot about sizing through different vendors. I am 6’ and about 205 lbs. From what I’ve read, it seems that I shouldn’t have an issue. Fingers crossed.

Can always ping RS and they'll let you know!

3 hours ago, Wiseguy804 said:

I'm also 6' and 205ish, I have RS armor and the only big change I needed was to ad shims to the kidney plate. If you are getting a commission done I'm not sure if they would do that for you or not, but either way they will include some spare ABS in case you need to shim things yourself, you just need to ask. The sizing of everything else was fine, I just made sure to not cut too much off of anything until I knew it would fit and look good. Feel free to read my build thread, it's in my signature, or here if you are on tapatalk. 

• Like 1

Nice! Thanks for the info. It was very helpful. Nice build btw. I’m getting so close to clicking that button! I just want to be sure I have educated myself beyond what I need. Just to be sure that I’m not going to have any regrets. I’ll keep this forum updated as my progress continues. Thanks again!

• Like 1