Strider's TK ANH Build

TKStrider

Hello all, so happy to be here after about 5 months of waiting for my BBB day! Yesterday I finally received my kit from Walt's Trooper Factory and I'm ready to go. I have had all the tools necessary from https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31404-supply-list-for-your-ot-tk-build/ and I am ready to go! I am using other build threads and am watching https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeDunMes3e0wQn8_ns-ma4g to help with the building process. I have never done anything that has required such creativity before, so this may take awhile but I am excited. Going for centurion out of the gate! Wish me luck :).

IFCRmuo.jpg

• Like 3

Hello Anthony...Congratulations for your BBB Day!!!!:duim:

Now the work begins. Remember to ask before cutting. If you have any questions, here we are.:salute:

BBB photos there is nothing better.

Some great helmet tutorials which may help, also don't forget to check references in the Gallery Sections 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TKSStrider said:

Are these gaps supposed to be here? Or am I supposed to put another rivet in?

Those gaps will get covered by the ears ;) 

Alright, I think I'm done for today. Still need to make the right ear flush. Made a few mistakes, but I kind of expected that for a first time build. I'll think of some ways to hide them tomorrow (not like you can tell anyway.

BfCWyRO.jpg

• Like 1

Nice work, trooper.

Just a little tip for you - if you take your photos from around 6 feet back (perhaps with 2x zoom) the proportions will appear better. Theo’s is handy for those trying to give advice on your build. :-)

a18df8f3aa8c055626dc214be4548367.jpg

Keep up the good work. :-)

• Like 3

Alright back at it. Doing some more trimming on the ears to finish it up, then I have to try and fix the mistakes. Biggest one seems to be this underside of the helmet. Didn't realize until I already screwed it in...oops.

NYi3ge3.jpg

2 hours ago, TKSStrider said:

Alright back at it. Doing some more trimming on the ears to finish it up, then I have to try and fix the mistakes. Biggest one seems to be this underside of the helmet. Didn't realize until I already screwed it in...oops.

NYi3ge3.jpg

You may very well be able to install the S trim and the ears will sit on top of it, covering any gap or misalignment ;)gallery_12157_38_3539.jpg

Alright, been a couple of days since I've updated, but I've been hard at work at finishing this helmet. I've been told by friends that the helmet is the hardest part, and frankly I believe them now. But finally I'm done with the painting! Granted, I definitely do not have the hands of a painter (my hands shake a lot), but I think I did a pretty OK job on this :)

21yhHM5.jpg

QhUCrsr.jpg

aDUu5Y0.jpg

I had a lot of trouble with the lenses, mostly because the lens wasn't long enough to reach the ear screws, so I made some pretty bad cuts in it's place...oops. I tried using hot clue, but it just didn't work that well. Before I knew it the lenses were pretty scratched making it rather hard to see out of the helmet, so I ordered a new lens to replace it.

pm7vbNd.jpg

Oh well, looks pretty good though otherwise! Now onto the arm portions of the armor. Hoping it will be much easier lol

• Like 3

Alright, onto the forearms. What I was told was correct...this is MUCH easier than the helmet LOL!

wVB2LMK.jpg

jgM3fW6.jpg

BD3LgcP.jpg

GCBgRhi.jpg

Not sure how much to cut from the back part of the outside forearm, so I just taped the heck out of it and then drew a line on the inside, and cut slightly outside said line (just to give me some wiggle room. Worked out pretty nicely. I'd be nervous to cut any more than this.

pH1eP83.jpg

Jr2f4GN.jpg

en1TX04.jpg

14 minutes ago, TKSStrider said:

Alright, mild hiccup, my rare earth magnets were FAR too big to help me glue. Oh well, guess I'll have to wait to glue for now.

How big are they, can you use them with some blocks of wood or strips of metal.

Clamps, painters tape anything can help, even clothes hanger clips can help when you've exhausted your supplies ;) 

• Like 1

Alrighty, got right back to it today. Essentially finished trimming both upper extremity armor pieces. I trimmed up the shoulder bells to what I could, but I'm holding off trimming any more until I see how much I actually need to trim when the chest and back armor is on. I'm liking how it's coming together so far.

3mPaNaq.jpg

rXkT1Oy.jpg

Biceps

OW0ZGLS.jpg

oKbjFr3.jpg

Not sure what to do with this little overhang piece. Do I just sand it down? Same overhang for the forearms as well.

Za9V4PH.jpg

Anyway, calling it a day for today. Tomorrow I plan on getting to work on the lower extremities.

A helpful thread on return edges: 

A good tip too is to try on pieces with your undersuit on as it can make a difference. You also want to be aware of "armor bites" when moving your arms and legs. Always best to start with the less amount of trimming, easier to trim off than add on later ;) 

If it were me, I would go ahead and remove a lot more of the "scoop" at the top of the forearm and all the return edge at the top of the biceps (it sits under the shoulder bell and is not seen anyway).  BUT, it's important to do this before final fitting/gluing.  Otherwise the pieces may be too loose afterward.  Like Glen said, they can cause "armor bite". :(

Reference image

X8JfNF8.jpg    TZeYBfW.jpg

Reference image

JFGymgX.jpg  DtjrWFC.jpg

10 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

If it were me, I would go ahead and remove a lot more of the "scoop" at the top of the forearm and all the return edge at the top of the biceps (it sits under the shoulder bell and is not seen anyway).  BUT, it's important to do this before final fitting/gluing.  Otherwise the pieces may be too loose afterward.  Like Glen said, they can cause "armor bite". :(

Reference image

X8JfNF8.jpg    TZeYBfW.jpg

Reference image

JFGymgX.jpg  DtjrWFC.jpg

Thanks! I'll fix that up. Just to clarify, that same "swoop" that is present for the biceps and the forearms should be removed and flushed with the adjoining armor piece right?

Alright, onto the shin trimming for now. I think I have these labeled correctly. (I = inside, O=Outside)

ktNZL8G.jpg

I made sure to leave a minimal return edge for the top, and all of the return edge for the bottom.

ZRBDyA8.jpg

ZRBDyA8.jpg

Next I'll be trimming the front to include the 20mm cover strip, but I'm lost on how much to trim off the back, and where to measure from??

2 hours ago, TKSStrider said:

Next I'll be trimming the front to include the 20mm cover strip, but I'm lost on how much to trim off the back, and where to measure from??

Hi Anthony,  what I could suggest is to trim  first the front of each shins only. Using painter's tape joint  the shins like you were placing an inner cover strip to see how they look. Once you are sure they match you can place the cover strip (front only). 

Using your inner clothes you you can adjust the back.

Front                                                                                          Back

uvdnUvC.jpg     wBttMmm.jpg

You may also  want to take a look to this WTF build Thread 

hope this can help :salute: