Tandy line snaps: stainless vs nickel plated

I have seen where some builds have used the Tandy line 24 snaps in stainless steel and others have used the nickel plated. Since my son and I are both building, is there a disadvantage to using the more cost effective nickel plated snaps?

I don't actually know the answer, but I imagine nickel plating, if done incorrectly, could possibly chip off. I wouldn't expect it, but I don't know for sure if that's an issue. So at most there would be visual issues for parts that are almost never seen except by you. :)

1 hour ago, ticopowell said:

I don't actually know the answer, but I imagine nickel plating, if done incorrectly, could possibly chip off. I wouldn't expect it, but I don't know for sure if that's an issue. So at most there would be visual issues for parts that are almost never seen except by you. :)

That’s a good point. I would think the nickel plated might not be as durable as the stainless, but given the minimum amount of snapping and unsnapping that would occur over the lifetime of the armor, they should hold up. Aesthetically, they may be inferior, but as you said, who’s going to be seeing them other than the photos I place here on the boards in my build thread and myself. 

Harbinger also made a good point regarding the softness of the metal, which may benefit me since I’m looking at having to set at least 60-70 of these snaps for both kits.

• Like 1

I'd recommend the SS snaps.  When wearing armor for awhile you will sweat. The Stainless wont rust. And as for wear and tear. If you take your armor apart to pack it up. You will do alot of snapping over the course of the lifetime of your armor. 

Here's an extremely obscure reason; Nickel allergy is more common than Steel allergy.  In the course of leatherwork stuff I've done I've had several customers specifically ask to avoid Nickel for them in snaps because of sensitivites.

Truthfully though I've used both, and Tandy is a really good and trustable brand.  You'll be fine with either if they're set correctly.