Stainless snaps and E-6000

I apologize for asking a question that has likely already been answered on the boards, but I am having difficulty finding it using the search. I will likely be installing nylon snap plates and have read about reaction between the E-6000 and the stainless snap backs that could cause some warping issues in the ABS. What are the best practices when applying these to ensure a good bond but also not damage the armor? Would painting the back of the snaps with something like Plasti Dip help avoid a potential disaster? Also,  what is be the best way to clamp these without glue seeping through the nylon and adhering to the clamps?

Your results may vary, but I did not have any reaction with my Tandy snaps, E6000, and the armor, all of my snap plates are nylon. I did place the glue on the nylon around the snaps, so perhaps that helped avoid some of the interaction between the E6000 and the metal. Maybe test glue a plate or two in an inconspicuous area (the ab to chest plate connection comes to mind as the upper ab is usually hidden under the chest plate) and then go from there.

I did not clamp my plates, just held them in place with my fingers for a few minutes and then left them to cure. E6000 seems to set a bit faster on nylon than with plastic/plastic connections because it can "breathe" through the nylon. Also, be sure to lightly sand the plastic where the plates are going to go for better adhesion.

Tip: I have found that sometimes searching this site via Google works better than the built in search feature, just type in site:whitearmor.net and then your search terms and see if that helps for future searches. :)

Edited by Scimitar

Thanks for the tips Jay. I guess my concern on gluing around the snap was whether they would be able to withstand the pressure of unsnapping.

Edited by Firedog

10 minutes ago, Firedog said:

Thanks for the tips Jay. I guess my concern on gluing around the snap was whether they would be able to withstand the pressure of unsnapping.

Both my ANH TK and Shadow TK are double snapped with nylon plates and I've had no issues with unsnapping so far (24 troops plus other events in the ANH, probably half that in the Shadow), E6000 is quite strong once it's cured. One plate did have a corner lifting but that was probably my fault during the gluing process.

Edited by Scimitar
  • Like 1

Hi Shawn, like Scimitar mentioned, the glue holds the snaps very well.  I too used nylon with my snaps and I've had no issues with things coming apart. 

For the E-6000 reacting with ABS - I am one of the people who had this happen.  I have narrowed it down to a bad tube of E-6000.  I have gone through a lot of E-6000 in the last few years and I only had issues with that one tube of the stuff.  Also, I no longer tend to apply a lot of pressure when waiting for the glue to set as this was suspected as being one of the issues.  That said, I have been a bit braver with applying a lot of pressure when the glue is setting and have not had the issue return... yet.

• Like 2