Bootlegger137's AM4.5 ANH Stunt Build Thread (Centurion)

Bootlegger137

Ok...my first official build thread...so here goes nothing!

Currently waiting for the BBB to arrive. In the meantime, I've collected many (if not all) of the other parts I'll need. Some will transfer from my AM2.0 Sandy (Police Officer/Level 2) that I built a couple of years ago (Undersuit and neckseal, primarily...along with sound system).

GD1BJLM.jpg?1

I've got the undersuit from Stormtrooper Undersuits; neck seal from Veedox; belt (measured using my Sandy armor) from Imperial Issue; boots from IB; paint stencils (which I may or may not use...to be decided) from Trooperbay; holster from Darman; flexible hand guards and nuts/bolts from JustJoseph63; non-audio mic tips from ukswrath (not shown are his TD brackets), and various bits of elastic and velcro. B)

And here is where the magic happens (will happen)...

MupxGFW.jpg?1

Spent the last week or so cleaning it up, organizing it, and getting ready for the build. This is the lap of luxury compared to my previous builds (Sandy and Scout), which were done in a one bedroom apartment using the coffee table or kitchen counter as work surfaces. :D

More to come...

Edited by Bootlegger137
  • Like 4

To keep myself entertained (:blink:) while I wait for the BBB to arrive, I've committed to do as much prep/busy work as I can to speed the build along.

First up, how do I want to strap the armor together? I used the bracket system for my Sandy, and that was a bit of a pain, if I'm being honest. So, I decided to use a snap plate/strapping system using @justjoseph63's thread on Snap Setting as a guide:

To give my armor a bit of flexibility, I'll be using 2" wide elastic (since I have it on hand), rather than the webbing in the thread above. But I won't start that part until the armor arrives and I know exactly how long to cut the elastic. In the meantime, I've made all the "plates" for the torso using 1.25” webbing (also had it on hand).

First, sort all the snap parts :mellow::

lXLo0kz.jpg?1

Then, cut the webbing, using the lighter to seal the ends from fraying. I made a cardboard template to make production a bit quicker :):

9nxQua5.jpg?1

Finally, add the male side of the snaps :wub::

yApjqTE.jpg?1

And you wind up with a bunch! :pint1:

6YGyfgn.jpg?1

Up next...fixing up my Hyperfirm E-11 and holster!

Edited by Bootlegger137
Nearly had a Spinal Tap Stonehenge issue.
  • Like 3

More busy work...the Darman's Props holster and Hyperfirm E-11. :Laser:

Firstly, the holster was a might bit too snug on the E-11. I debated on options on how to soften/loosen it up. I finally settled on shoving a plastic drink cup in the top end of the holster, and tossing it in that wonderful greenhouse my car turns into in the summer time. :o It actually worked pretty well, although a second round wouldn't be such a bad idea. I did flip the cup around and let it spend a couple of hours sitting in the bottom end as well.

gE3jTy5.jpg?1

On to the Hyperfirm...

My understanding of the CRL and requirements for Centurion (the ultimate goal of this build), the Hyperfirm's are passable with the addition of the D-ring on the end cap. So, D-ring ordered from Trooperbay. I laid it against the end cap to figure out how much to cut out of it (the Sharpie marks) so I could attach it.

GS23bGJ.jpg?1

Next, drill out the holes in the end caps:

mOfOc4Q.jpg?1

Cutting wheel attached to Dremel, and pliers to hold the D-ring (that sucker gets HOT!):

ntO0VDG.jpg?1

O3Mm6t5.jpg?1

With both cuts made, time for a test fit:

zoAZFPT.jpg?1

I wasn't entirely happy with the weathering on the Hyperfirm, and especially the weathering on what should be plastic Hengslter counter...so rattle can time! Also, the D-ring required painting, anyway...sooooo. After a bit of research, I settled upon the Krylon Fusion as it should adhere to the rubber and metal. :0Lighten:

2A0y1rW.jpg?1

One coat done, and hung to dry for a couple of hours before the next coat.

WrfbQgc.jpg?1

And...finished product. Came out pretty good, if you ask me.:duim:

N4xjjIS.jpg?1

PXPgaFZ.jpg?1

DrxILf0.jpg?1

Pro tip...don't forget the underside of the D-ring. :blink:

LfayfD8.jpg?1

For a bit of fun, I added a "sight" sticker.

xLl0bfv.jpg?1

And, in a moment of "what the heck"...

Rw1CH4t.jpg?1

So, hopefully, I can cross this part of the build off the list.

I4nUQqh.jpg?1

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Blast 'Em! said:

Great work so far Chris! Love seeing the Hertl poster and jersey on your wall (I'm a Sharks fan)

Thanks! And that's my jersey from Shark-for-a-Day (Shark's Fantasy Camp) 2018.

zk1kRoA.jpg?2

My girlfriend and I are big fans (she lived in San Jose for 10 years before moving to Philly for me). The canvas was won in one of the Shark's Foundation auctions a couple of years ago.

Hertl and Jones are the reason for my TKID...14831.

Edited by Bootlegger137
Add info.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well...not a whole lot going on until the full kit arrives. I still have the left over parts from when I built my Sandtrooper, so I decided to get the Thermal Detonator out of the way. :smiley-sw013:

Gave the grey tube a quick measure to make sure it's not 2 feet long. Also, drilled a hole to relieve the air pressure when the end caps are put on (the hole will be hidden by the "control panel" plate).

6JqALvO.jpg?1

Then, I measure the end caps to 20mm. This photo is post "scribe" of the line...and the ruler isn't exactly in proper position. :huh:

WiqynFn.jpg?1

To give a consistent line around both end caps, I "scribed" the pencil line using a compass. I double checked the measurements at a couple of points to ensure nothing got too wonky.

R4zKoDm.jpg?1

A quick cut with the lexan scissors. Scrap/waste goes right into a shoe box to save for ABS paste down the line.

QMBBZZI.jpg?1

Then, a quick sand on a flat surface to even them out. That's the backside of the sandpaper...I did turn it over. :P

Uocy6LX.jpg?1

Quick test fit.

ckMLs9t.jpg?1

I'm using the belt clips from @ukswrath, and numbered them so I knew which one went where after marking the holes for the screws.

xgS3dVU.jpg?1

Instead of the screws that come with the belt clips from Tony, I'm using the screws from @justjoseph63...and securing them with some self-locking nuts.

RwpQeQa.jpg?1

Belt clips secured, it's now time to glue on the "control panel" and then the end caps.

GyUQ4sy.jpg?1

And finally, what do you do when you don't have your paints yet? Improvise!

oEK50Kv.jpg?1

And hopefully I can cross this off the list as well.

Edited by Bootlegger137
Typo
  • Like 4

AWESOME news!  As a recipient of the "Master Armorer" award, I hope you realize at this point that we expect nothing but perfection, Chris!  ;)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, justjoseph63 said:

AWESOME news!  As a recipient of the "Master Armorer" award, I hope you realize at this point that we expect nothing but perfection, Chris!  ;)

YOU may have received the “Master Armorer” award...but I sure-as-heck haven’t. I promise nothing other than my best effort. :salute:

Edited by Bootlegger137
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bootlegger137 said:

YOU may have received the “Master Armorer” award...but I sure-as-heck haven’t. I promise nothing other than my best effort. :salute:

My apologies, Chris!  For some strange reason that accolade is on your profile (still something to strive for, though)!  Know that we are here for ya', sir, and I (we) still expect great things from this build!  Looking forward to seeing your progress, and as always we are here to help.

• Like 1

I checked it out and for some reason the words No Award appeared in the box where we normally add a letter to determine how many amours you have helped to build.

Occasionally we have some strange IT glitches pop up like the trooping awards for those that never registered a troop but it's all fixed now, hopefully.

Carry on with your good work Chris.

• Like 1

So...an interesting "development" regarding the AM kits. As I mentioned previously, I have an AM2.0 kit that I built into a Sandy:

HNCl3kD.jpg?1

As it's a Sandy, there are a few leftover bits.

As I unboxed, unwrapped (Dave does an amazing job in wrapping and protecting all the pieces!...although I abhor the "packing peanuts"), and inventoried the new kit, some of the pulls seemed "off." So I dug out parts from the kit I purchased in 2016 to compare.

Aq1Wh47.jpg?1

In this pic, the top row is 2016, bottom row is 2020:

AAf8169.jpg?1

Shoulder straps...2020 on the left, 2016 on the right:

u8sWLk6.jpg?1

Belt...2020 top, 2016 bottom:

BdSRhQ9.jpg?1

Belt...top view...both 2020 with 2016 on the bottom:

1rcb0dI.jpg?1

This isn't meant to slag off Dave, as I don't believe he actually does the pulls (as I understand it...I could be wrong). This is more of an informational/"isn't that interesting" post.

Still, the quality of the ABS is great, there are a lot of extras, including plenty for cover strips. But, I'll be using my left over pieces as needed over the newer versions.

• Like 4