CoolHandLAZ's Anovos ANH Stunt TK Build (FIRST BUILD!)

CoolHandLAZ

So I got around to the sniper knee today and encountered a problem that hopefully y'all could give me advice with.

I tried clamping the center of the sniper knee to the front of the shin, but when I got that to sit perfectly flush, the sides stuck way out. When I tried to conform them, I felt like I would break them if I kept bending.

The second attempt I tried clamping the edges first, but when I did that, the center stuck way out.

RZRkp62.jpg

(This photo is when I had the center clamped)

What would be the proper course of action to have both the center of the sniper knee as well as the corners, sit flush against the top of the shin?

Thanks!

8 hours ago, CoolHandLAZ said:

So I got around to the sniper knee today and encountered a problem that hopefully y'all could give me advice with.

I tried clamping the center of the sniper knee to the front of the shin, but when I got that to sit perfectly flush, the sides stuck way out. When I tried to conform them, I felt like I would break them if I kept bending.

The second attempt I tried clamping the edges first, but when I did that, the center stuck way out.

RZRkp62.jpg

(This photo is when I had the center clamped)

What would be the proper course of action to have both the center of the sniper knee as well as the corners, sit flush against the top of the shin?

Thanks!

I have an AM kit, so I am not 100% sure if my fix would work, but I had to extend out the sniper to help clear my knee cap (see the blocks of plastic between the plate and shin)

Z3543x6.jpg

14 minutes ago, LTM said:

I have an AM kit, so I am not 100% sure if my fix would work, but I had to extend out the sniper to help clear my knee cap (see the blocks of plastic between the plate and shin)

I have experienced the same with Anovos. Can you post side (both)  photos please? :salute:

On 8/5/2020 at 10:10 AM, LTM said:

Z3543x6.jpg

This is a good idea I'll have to look into it!

On 8/5/2020 at 10:18 AM, TKSpartan said:

I have experienced the same with Anovos. Can you post side (both)  photos please? :salute:

You're talking about photos of mine correct?

Hi Luke, It looks ok.  I'm currently helping a new recruit with his armor and it's an Anovos too.

We did the same to attach the sniper knee. look at the photos

Removed all return edge from the bottom                          added  an additional plastic piece to give support

pvvfo5Q.jpg?1         YyWTfBj.jpg?2

Used a lot of clamps :56pullhair:  and let it dray for 48 hours.

X3bHQ0k.jpg?1     HB12vmF.jpg?1

What you must consider if the crl for high levels and reference photos to align with ridges and vertically. Also Trim the top edges .

CRL for level 2:  Sniper knee plate must be aligned with the ridges on the shin.

Kmpegeb.jpg?1 Mnv06IG.jpg?2VQg24uW.jpg?2

Reference images

2dnBHvM.jpg    BNYlK7a.jpg

Hope this can help. keep on doing a great work :jc_doublethumbup:

On 8/8/2020 at 9:12 PM, TKSpartan said:

Hi Luke, It looks ok.  I'm currently helping a new recruit with his armor and it's an Anovos too.

We did the same to attach the sniper knee. look at the photos

Removed all return edge from the bottom                          added  an additional plastic piece to give support

pvvfo5Q.jpg?1         YyWTfBj.jpg?2

Used a lot of clamps :56pullhair:  and let it dray for 48 hours.

X3bHQ0k.jpg?1     HB12vmF.jpg?1

What you must consider if the crl for high levels and reference photos to align with ridges and vertically. Also Trim the top edges .

CRL for level 2:  Sniper knee plate must be aligned with the ridges on the shin.

Kmpegeb.jpg?1 Mnv06IG.jpg?2VQg24uW.jpg?2

Reference images

2dnBHvM.jpg    BNYlK7a.jpg

Hope this can help. keep on doing a great work :jc_doublethumbup:

Okay awesome this definitely helps! Another question, when you mentioned that you used an extra piece of plastic for support, where exactly did you put it? I might just be missing something. Thanks!

16 minutes ago, CoolHandLAZ said:

Okay awesome this definitely helps! Another question, when you mentioned that you used an extra piece of plastic for support, where exactly did you put it? I might just be missing something. Thanks!

The same as you did. a small square of ABS on top  the front cover strip (in between the cover strip and Sniper knee). Sorry, it's not noticeable in the pics. 

Cxq5ryb.jpg

Keep on doing a great work trooper ! :salute:

9 hours ago, TKSpartan said:

The same as you did. a small square of ABS on top  the front cover strip (in between the cover strip and Sniper knee). Sorry, it's not noticeable in the pics. 

Cxq5ryb.jpg

Keep on doing a great work trooper ! :salute:

Ohhhhh okay gotcha that makes sense. I don't have an extra plastic piece there yet (just the cover strip) but I'll go ahead and give that a shot next time I get the chance to work on armor. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Back at it. I'll have an update with the shin progress later but while that stuff dries, I was going to start getting things together to work on the abs/cod. My question is...should any return edges be removed for this? I'm assuming not since most of the threads I've seen keep the edge, but I figured I'd ask.

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Great thread on return edges 

gallery_12157_16_24471.jpg

gallery_12157_59_15236.jpg

Cool thanks for the pictures. Yeah I've been using Joseph's return edge thread but I didn't see a post specifically about the ab piece so I figured I'd ask just to be sure.

• Like 1

So I'm back to working on the shins/calves. I glued the cover strip (half) onto the back piece. The issue I'm having is that when I line up the bottom by the feet, the top part is misaligned, and vice-versa.

After looking at the CRL and other photos, I've seen it different ways. Which side should I be lining up? Should I trim the bottom and line up the top?

The top after the bottom is aligned

aYDROfd.jpg

The bottom after the top is aligned (excuse the mess lol)

XBJ03En.jpg

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Denseven said:

May i ask what kind of magnets and blue tape your are using? There are so many differences in strong magnets.

Is this maybe a good option for magnets?

Link:

Magnets

Hi!

So these are the exact magnets I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MYQV446/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Those magnets in your post look like they would work fine but I prefer more of a disc magnet so there's less of a chance of them coming off if you bump them. I'd recommend getting a bunch of them. I use a lot of them when securing pieces. Clamps as well.

And the blue tape is painter's tape. Definitely use painter's tape as opposed to other types of tape. It comes off nice when you're trying to size and glue things down.

Hope this helps!

The disc magnets are definitely the way to go. The neodymium rare earth magnets are even stronger than the basic disc magnets. Most tutorials I have read recommend using them and they are very strong, so they can hurt you if you aren't careful.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0859MHLSG?pd_rd_i=B0859MHLSG&pd_rd_w=zJDqx&pf_rd_p=e75a99cf-81c4-40cb-bc86-6efa5f44f6cb&pd_rd_wg=lnbLU&pf_rd_r=4KY2BW53MXK6ZHZXR6QJ&pd_rd_r=22e8a4f7-c100-4cef-939e-5b60b7c973c9

• Like 1

Thanks a lot @Firedog and @CoolHandLAZ

I just ordered two types of magnets, from a different site tho.

8x 20mm diameter / 5 MM thick.

8x 12mm diamete / 3 MM thick.

I saw at a video of RSprop masters to wrap them up in painters tape so my fingers wont get stuck in between and to get the magnets off easily from the PVC.

Thanks a lot guys! cannot wait to get my costume finalized, to start trooping!

• Like 1