CoolHandLAZ's Anovos ANH Stunt TK Build (FIRST BUILD!)

CoolHandLAZ

7 hours ago, CoolHandLAZ said:

I was wondering how much return edge are you all taking off of the shins by the knee? I couldn't seem to find info about specifically this (most likely it is there but I just missed it). My gut instinct is to just lose it all to avoid the armor burn.

Actually, this is one of the areas that most of us leave as much as possible on to give that "thick" appearance to the armor.  As long as it is comfortable, I would leave that as it is, but it can be trimmed down as needed.  I wouldn't suggest removing it all, though.

22 hours ago, TKSpartan said:

Hi Luke, Don't worry about  making questions, we love questions, photos and help others so keep on making questions and posting photos. :jc_doublethumbup:

For the Shins , you can leave a small return edge at the top and they  don't have any return edge in the botton as you can see in the references.

Thanks! I'll keep on keeping on. I started doing the measurements for the shins today so this was a big help!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TheRascalKing said:

Welcome and great work so far!

Thanks! And thanks again for all the advice on the SCG facebook page :smiley-sw013:

15 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

Actually, this is one of the areas that most of us leave as much as possible on to give that "thick" appearance to the armor.  As long as it is comfortable, I would leave that as it is, but it can be trimmed down as needed.  I wouldn't suggest removing it all, though.

So I ended up leaving some return edge on there. I agree, that "thick look" looks great so I'm going to do some measuring and see how it all feels. :duim:

55 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

Looking great so far Luke

Thanks! Your build thread has been a MAJOR help so I appreciate you putting all the time in to make that! It's been an awesome resource along with all the other threads around the FISD site. 

Welcome Luke and nice work! I sat on my Anovos kit for over a year after I received it in 2018 so I know where you're coming from! I just earned my Centurion badge for my ANH Stunt this month so I'm excited for you to get there too! :smiley-sw013:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GoofTrooper said:

Welcome Luke and nice work! I sat on my Anovos kit for over a year after I received it in 2018 so I know where you're coming from! I just earned my Centurion badge for my ANH Stunt this month so I'm excited for you to get there too! :smiley-sw013:

Thanks! And yeah it was just sitting there glaring at me so I had to finally get to it! That's great about your Centurion status and hopefully I can join you someday soon!

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 7:37 PM, CoolHandLAZ said:

Thanks! Your build thread has been a MAJOR help so I appreciate you putting all the time in to make that! It's been an awesome resource along with all the other threads around the FISD site. 

Glad to hear it helped, Troopers Helping Troopers

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ukswrath said:

Glad to hear it helped, Troopers Helping Troopers

Absolutely! Looking forward to installing your fan set in my helmet and I'm very much considering your com setup when I get to that part down the line :salute:

Well I was able to get the forearms worked out. I was having trouble with the seam popping up after I installed the inner cover strips. I ended up making it work by way of a full-on attack of magnets, clamps and painters tape:

RZLwaUW.jpg

N7ctkwK.jpg

While I was waiting for those to dry, I started sizing the biceps and working the edges to make them smooth. Definitely trying to take my time with the sizing. The forearms were a good test because I haven't constructed armor before. So now that I've figured out what works, hopefully I can apply that knowledge to the biceps and the rest of my build!

hMKijjI.jpg

Feeling good so far! One step at a time. Just gotta keep telling myself that ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CoolHandLAZ said:

I ended up making it work by way of a full-on attack of magnets, clamps and painters tape:

Yes, this section of the armor is usually  challenging, great way to "attack" , I would suggest to leave it dry at least 48 hours instead of 24.

Keep on doing a great work mate!!!  :salute:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TKSpartan said:

Yes, this section of the armor is usually  challenging, great way to "attack" , I would suggest to leave it dry at least 48 hours instead of 24.

Keep on doing a great work mate!!!  :salute:

Yeah good idea! Going to make sure it's solid before putting on the outer strips.

Thanks copy that!! :smiley-sw013:

Finished glueing the inner cover strips for the biceps. Next, I'm going to work on sizing the shins. So I know that there needs to be zero return edge by the ankles, but I was wondering exactly how much more needed to be cut off/how high up? It's difficult to tell where the actual return edge is/ends.

njvs9Ca.jpg

EE37PYt.jpg

VoUBPsO.jpg

Cheers all 

I would remove it all, Luke (as seen with the blue arrows below).  Any return edge will eventually wear the paint off of your boots from friction.  Sanding the edges down super smooth will help prevent that as well.

BP8Eysu.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

I would remove it all, Luke (as seen with the blue arrows below).  Any return edge will eventually wear the paint off of your boots from friction.  Sanding the edges down super smooth will help prevent that as well.

BP8Eysu.jpg

Sweet thanks for the info! From the reference images from the movie and images of troopers on here, it seemed like they were trimmed down more than I had it but I figured I'd make sure :D

Unfortunately due to life things, I haven't been able to work on my armor for a few weeks. But in the meantime, I figured it'd be best to start sourcing the remaining pieces I need.

Picked up a neck seal from Trooperbay, which looks and fits great! I dig the velcro a lot. Also after a ton of back and forth on my part, I went ahead and placed an order for a @Hellhounds blaster! I'm super stoked about this. Really love the review from @MaskedVengeance. It helped a lot as well as other great reviews from troopers. I plan on still constructing my Doopydoos kit in the future for a display piece/backup blaster. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on my other thread. Knowing myself and hearing horror stories about blasters breaking, I decided to air on the side of caution and grab the rubber one :smiley-sw013:

Lately I've been researching helmet mods on the forum and wow there are a lot of different cool ways to configure the inside of the helmet! I'm for sure going to black out the inside. Still have to acquire some padding for sure. Then I'll decide if I'm going to cut out the visor and stick the lenses on or just screw the long strip on.

I have fans from @ukswrath (his com system looks amazing as well) . I don't have a com system yet but it seems like the Aker/Icomm system is very popular. Lots of great reviews and opinions on here. 

Anyways, that's the update from me! Hope y'all are staying cool!

Edited by CoolHandLAZ
  • Like 3

Glad to hear the E-11 review was helpful in your blaster decision; @kman deserved a lot of credit as well. I think you'll really like the Hellhounds E-11, and at some point down the road hopefully more troopers will carry them!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ukswrath said:

I can totally relate to the "life things" and it's alright take your time.

Right on. We're in tough times. I use forum searching and researching to keep me feeling like I'm making progress until I can work on it again!

7 hours ago, MaskedVengeance said:

Glad to hear the E-11 review was helpful in your blaster decision; @kman deserved a lot of credit as well. I think you'll really like the Hellhounds E-11, and at some point down the road hopefully more troopers will carry them!

Thank you for writing that up! Your thread plus @kman's thread both were very informative and got me to my decision. I'm so excited to get the blaster! It looks so great!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a few weeks but I'm finally back at it!

Started working on the shins. Removed the remaining return edges from the ankle areas.

mjFaOFZ.jpg

After that I began sizing the left shin and got it to where I like it.

orsQnOB.jpg

zYJyEeH.jpg

I have a question concerning the alignment. When I put the two halves together, I made sure the ankle part was perfectly lined up. But then the top of the shins (on the front and back) were both uneven. I know that the sniper knee will cover the front part but I still would like it to be lined up (front and back). What would be the desired method of making this happen? Should I trim off the top? Thanks!

OaAMio0.jpg

v7HVGSw.jpg

rqhToey.jpg

12 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Correct, align the tops and then trim the bottoms to suit

Okay cool that makes sense thanks! I also realized that I needed to trim off a tad more return edge off the "knee" part of the shin pieces. Actually I would say that it's more from the original cut line than the actual return edge. Hopefully that will help more with the fitting.

• Like 1

Moving right along :smiley-sw013:

I finally completed the sizing on the shins/calves and got all the pieces to align. Then I went ahead and glued the inner cover strip on both the left and right legs (front), and taped and magnet-ed it like crazy. Also (I forgot to mention this in my previous update), the numbering on the Anovos shins/calves was different then what the instruction manual said, so I went ahead and looked at source photos, plus photos of approved 501st TK's to make sure I had the correct set up. Big thumbs up to Tony for mentioning that in his build thread.

psvBpJh.jpg

DNi4b1n.jpg

After a day of drying, I went ahead and attached the outer strip for each leg.

niy4NCs.jpg

VImqrZD.jpg

h7spyOO.jpg

Next came the assembly of the hook straps that I will be using to close the back side/calves after the front side dries. Following the guide from  @ukswrath , bra hooks were sewn onto pieces of elastic which were folded over on the ends to create extra support. I made six. Three for each leg.

b0s5t3q.jpg

2WKRPm6.jpg

Coming up next will be attaching the sniper knee to the left shin, then attaching the "false" cover strip on the back of both legs, followed by assembling the hook system to close up the calves.

Slowly but surely, it's coming together! :salute: