ABS dust health effects

Good question, Fred!  While ABS contains no carcinogens, the dust can cause a respiratory hazard.  I'm not a doctor, but unless you have a chronic lung condition (bronchitis, COPD, asthma, etc.) a basic particle mask should do just fine to protect you.  I always recommend using one when doing any trimming with a Dremel (which creates dust) and this should be done outdoors.  If you do have a lung condition, I suggest wearing a respirator.

Another thing to think about is E-6000.  We use it a LOT, but the fumes are incredibly toxic.  Although it works fantastic, I ALWAYS suggest using it (and letting the glued items dry) outdoors.  Here is a great post on that subject.  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/33347-e6000-warnings-read-them-and-wear-a-respirator/

Hope this helps!

As Joseph mentioned, it’s highly recommended to wear some form of mask while sanding ABS. In my most recent build thread post from yesterday I show what mask/respirator I’m using. The filters on the mask are actually for fumes (painting, or E-6000), since I don’t have the simple round dust filters. Better to be safe than sorry; nothing is worth a health compromise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 3:54 AM, justjoseph63 said:

While ABS contains no carcinogens, the dust can cause a respiratory hazard.  

Um, about that. ABS (aka Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene). Styrene is known to cause cancer. That said, so long as its not ingested you should be fine.

As mentioned above wearing PPE (N95 or higher respirators) when working with fine particles should protect you.

Lastly, when softening or shaping with heat (like a heat gun), carcinogens are released. In this case wearing a 1/2 faced respirator and gloves is advised.