ATA ANH Stunt build

PajamaTrooper

Hey all! So, I won't be able to purchase the armor until next year, but I was able to get a bucket kit and get started! I've recently finished a TIE helmet for a build that's nearly done, and that was an absolute nightmare (An unfortunately soft pull and ABS that was far too thick. It was a Tambo Fett kit, who usually does fantastic work.) So I hope this is a little easier as I've at least hand painted a TK bucket before. 

I have a huge library of screen references and guides, so I think I'm ready!
Wish me luck!

0PRIQSE.jpg

• Like 2

Awesome! There are plenty of ATA resources out there, including a great helmet tutorial by Pandatrooper, which I’m sure you’ve already seen. I’m currently building an ATA kit myself, and look forward to following along with your progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Well, it's time to ask for help. I've got several questions here, if anyone can be of help. Of course it's during the ears portion of the build...

So I was a bit of a moron with the rivet gun and accidentally created a small "bump" on the underside of the cap where the ear sits so it doesn't sit perfectly right with the faceplate. Not really a big deal, it just makes the ear trimming harder. 

So for my FIRST question, are these gaps acceptable? I've seen screen-used buckets that have worse gaps, but I want to make sure. I do have extra ears in case I need to redo it, I just hate the idea of doing that. 
(1)
qjw91RS.jpg

(2)
UjxvAvR.jpg

For my SECOND question, is the distance between the ear and the brow acceptable? I wasn't able to get it any closer, try as I might. 
0m03b90.jpg

THIRD question. I trimmed where the trim lines were and even left a little excess, but the right-hand side of the bucket feels like I cut too much off. Will the ear still sit correctly if I trim it right? 
6vhMs5F.jpg

rUiiwW7.jpg

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Really the answer will be from your GML (garrison membership liaison) in regards to acceptable gaps, some like little to no gaps.

ATA ears are not as defined as most with the trim lines, having 2 pairs is great.

To me the gap from top of ear to brow is a little wide, the angle of the ears seem to far forward also.

aqL1Zj9.jpg?2  oYDEzWK.jpg?1  wAMSyBP.jpg?2

Some really helpful ear tutorials:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Really the answer will be from your GML (garrison membership liaison) in regards to acceptable gaps, some like little to no gaps.

ATA ears are not as defined as most with the trim lines, having 2 pairs is great.

To me the gap from top of ear to brow is a little wide, the angle of the ears seem to far forward also.

aqL1Zj9.jpg?2  oYDEzWK.jpg?1  wAMSyBP.jpg?2

Some really helpful ear tutorials:

Ah, thank you! I think I got overzealous with the trimming on that ear and trimmed too much away, and also trimmed too much towards the circular part so it unfortunately sits lower than I anticipated. Looks like I'll be trimming a new ear. I was also wondering that since my drill holes will likely be misaligned, is there a fairly simple way to patch holes in ABS? Maybe using spot putty or scrap ABS?

44 minutes ago, TD_Dusty said:

Ah, thank you! I think I got overzealous with the trimming on that ear and trimmed too much away, and also trimmed too much towards the circular part so it unfortunately sits lower than I anticipated. Looks like I'll be trimming a new ear. I was also wondering that since my drill holes will likely be misaligned, is there a fairly simple way to patch holes in ABS? Maybe using spot putty or scrap ABS?

Depends if the holes are covered or not, you may be ok, if they are covered I wouldn't bother.

ABS paste is generally good for filling holes, it can leave pin holes though so you  may need to go over it a putty or filler.

Before I continue on the ears, I’d like to know if I’m being paranoid or something is wrong. The right-hand side of the helmet feels as if the gap is too big between the pieces. I trimmed according to the trim lines as well as following builds like PandaTrooper’s ATA build, but I’d like a second pair of eyes. I’m sure I can cover it with the ear, but the difference in height between the back ridge and the front tube seems a little high. Does this matter?

In this image of a screen-used helmet, the gap seems about the same. I’m also concerned that my forehead trap is a little close to the eye but doesn’t overlap it, even though it’s almost perfectly aligned on the other side.

EuKe6G2.jpg

eSWS7YG.jpg

dCQi24g.jpg

uSzvqYV.jpg

Edited by TD_Dusty

If you have a look through Pandatroopers thread it shoes some gap, I had some on mine too but what doesn't pull in when riveted/screwed will be covered by the ears, the front of the year will just be wider than the back

5506822440_2e07ba01dc_z.jpg

So I was worried about the alignment of the forehead trap over the eye, thought I might need to pop a rivet and move a couple things, but according to a few of my screen references it seems to be accurate. Gonna continue with this alignment.

3kGJBg1.jpg

aIoGz1S.jpg

I have 3 ATA helmets and they are all in slightly different spots, never been an issue for approval.

You will notice going though reference images they can be before, on top, or in front of the corner of the eye ;) 

helm2.jpg.2697e0dba5a6ee344cd077b544e70f3b.jpghelm1.thumb.jpg.f0ff7b9795c58f19a8da25c77817858b.jpghelm4.png.83d81cb08aa551be9620e6340fdd9b44.pnghelm3.jpg.5818ecf1d3c070908fe79f35a1ee5c99.jpg

• Like 1

Ears I found had been the hardest part to the whole build when I started.

Your ear does appear to angled a little too much so you may want to tweak it a little.

aqL1Zj9.jpg?2 

untitled.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well it’s...Something. I aligned the left ear closer to what it should be and installed the right. Due to fatal errors I made when trimming the cap and face, this is the only way the right ear can sit without showing the gap between the cap and face.

So...Is it even acceptable at this point or is it gonna be a display piece? I’ll have everything I learned from this build and more as well as learning from the beyond stupid mistakes I made filed away for when I do my actual build. Thankfully, if this one isn’t acceptable, I didn’t pay full price for the kit. My nerves are shot from the ears and I don’t think I can align them any better than I have them.

dZdeX2h.jpg

84xygfl.jpg

JV0FTyM.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like your ears are pretty thick still and could be trimmed a little more to close the gaps. Tutorial here https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/29238-my-helmet-ear-tutorial/

post-12041-0-92184000-1416608673_thumb.jpgpost-12041-0-61567100-1416608526_thumb.jpg

Adding a notch to the top section of the ear can help too, as you have the back covering the front you will have a step so if you notch this and trim the front a little more it will sit closer. 

hat's right!!! It's curved. post-12041-0-33811400-1416608489_thumb.png

Keep this in mind when trimming the round portion. 

This here is another area to consider if you want that super close fit. There are halves that overlap each other.

DSCN1845_zps34284857.jpg

If you want to, you can notch this out once you have decided the final resting spot for your ear. This is exaggerated, but it just shows what I mean.

DSCN1846_zpsae23eaaf.jpg

DSCN1849_zps59f24857.jpg

027.jpg

Bottom ear screw looks a little high

JV0FTyM.jpg

origBrside1.jpg

EuKe6G2.jpghelm1.thumb.jpg.f0ff7b9795c58f19a8da25c77817858b.jpg

Unfortunately I followed the hole markings on the molds for the ears, so I didn’t realize it was a little high until I installed them. I don’t think I can trim any more than I already have without having to pick up an extra left ear from ATA and cutting my spare for the right. Are thicker ears acceptable or are they just generally frowned upon?

Edited by TD_Dusty