FN-1313's R1TK 3D files

FN1313

So I looked around and found nobody had any extensive R1TK 3D files. As such I'm hoping to start putting together more that I can try to get available.

As of today I put together a render of the shoulder bells. I modelled these off of the CRL images.

Let me know what you think. I will start trying to work at other parts of the armor in due time as well.

ShoulderBellImage.png

• Like 1

Awesome!
i seen 3D files for a R1  armor out there but I can’t justify spending 150 on them right now since I already have a R1 kit 

Yep I for sure get that. I can understand why people choose to sell for a high price, it’s a lot of work, but since I’m doing what I can for learning modeling while I’m working on trying to develop a game and lots of stuff I figure I might be able to share some files here and there as I get them going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I've also been working on the helmet being as it's probably one of the more intricate parts. Here's a few images of it in lookdev mode and a smoothed out render.

xidDUWb.png

bjgv6FN.png

MHjm8EA.png

• Like 1

I've been working a bit more today

Here's the ears so far. The holes I'm going to basically have be a print area to drill out and then fill with either screws that then can be filled with bondo to get rid of slit, or any other items that might work to hold them in place as well.

image.png.7b8aaef9b225ef3b59c5b2df3edf0d36.png

And some added work on the helmet, including the ears for visual reference

NMkdXW0.png

The biggest changes are extending the rest out downwards to complete the backside top to bottom. I've also reshaped the face so it has the curves and dips in the right parts.

Edited by FN-1313
  • Like 2

Wow Kyle, nice work. This is looking really good, cant wait to see the finished product.

• Like 1

This looks GREAT! It's very kind of you to tackle this with the intention to release the files for free, and I'm sure you'll learn a lot through the exercise! I know I'll be interested in printing it! In case it's of any help, Nico Henderson completed a 3D Rogue One TK helmet earlier this spring, and you can check it out here. But you probably already knew that anyway. Nico is famous for modeling the Shoretrooper helmet that is most (along with Sean Fields' free files) used by Legion ST builders. @mr paul might also be a helpful resource for you, in case you ever have any questions! Keep up the excellent work!

Edited by MaskedVengeance
misspelling
  • Like 1

Thanks all!

Yeah I will definitely start providing files as they are available so that I can get some further guidance or so as I build things. I figure so long as I get the helmet pretty good I can do practically everything else no problem (much less detail)

My goal is to be able to provide a service to everyone in providing something that could be of worth. And being as I don't have a 3D printer yet and hope to get one within the next year it's something that I will for sure love to see comments/recommendations based on how others have printed and what needs adjustment.

I hope to someday provide the files for everyone to be able to print their own R1 trooper if they wish.

• Like 1

Did some vent holes today. I'm pretty sure with the final 3D print these will be spots that will want to needle file some more for better appearance. The blue behind is just a plane to show how it would look, but I'd probably recommend using some other material for this rather than 3d printing something to put there instead.

Nau1kIW.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Had a day off from work and rested enough to get some more progress done.

I've molded the chin area as well as the teeth. I also cut the openings in the cheek greeblie.

hUh1hEP.png

nJ19dfJ.png

Dfr6xYN.png

LEGjMZZ.png

• Like 3

Added the aerators. I decided to do a 2 part system here. This way you can find some mesh you want and then put it in between and have a metal mesh that is more real looking.

vGegDds.png

I also added some extruded bits in the aerator area to slide guide their positioning of the inner part (it has an opening in the back that should fit over the extrusion bits. And then from there I did the same with the area for the ears.

PJTShvw.png

And here's the helmet put together.

nQxKvFv.png

Currently I do not have a 3D Printer. I aim to get one someday soon I hope. Over the next time period I'm going to finalize the modifiers on the helmet and then I will provide a few 3D files for download if anyone wanted to give it a go.

Edited by FN-1313
  • Like 2

Here's the STLs I've put together for the helmet:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11B2mpkPHhhtnHKbQXKKmGPshHG9IE-Zl/view?usp=sharing

If anyone wanted to check them out and see how things look.

Notes: I've built the helmet with not every single little thing to be 3D printed. The aerator mesh I've left out, instead I built a two part aerator as seen in screenshots so you can put your own metal mesh or something in between so it looks more real. (I prefer the look of metal)

I've also not made Lens material models for the eyes, because I feel there's material out there that would be better to put in the eye area as is.

Final note I didn't make a "rubber" bottom wrapping (the black cover for the opening of the helmet) and the reason why I haven't made a 3D print model for that is because I've seen with most helmets everyone prefers to put an actual rubber around that area and actually modelling it into the helmet would have removed that as an effective option. That being said. I could later build some separate part models for that if it's wanted.

Edited by FN-1313

One final note. I noticed now that I haven't really scaled the models to actual size. If anyone has more experience with this and would like to help that would be great! Otherwise I can probably work on that later and have things a little better.

I normally just scale when I print but I notice in a few chats some mentioning Meshmixer http://www.meshmixer.com/, Indestructibles has some info here  https://www.instructables.com/id/Meshmixer-Scaling-Models/

Some use other software, there are some really helpful videos on youtube too 

9 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I normally just scale when I print but I notice in a few chats some mentioning Meshmixer http://www.meshmixer.com/, Indestructibles has some info here  https://www.instructables.com/id/Meshmixer-Scaling-Models/

Some use other software, there are some really helpful videos on youtube too 

Yeah I’ve heard of scaling when you print, and that’s what I figured was the case. Since I don’t have a means to print yet that’s why I haven’t done much. Thanks for the link though. This could help!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Well this kind of fizzled after some time. Had a baby, changes in work and life in general. Due to all of this I really haven't been able to dedicate the same time to building these files and honestly I wouldn't trade time with my newborn for anything. If the detachment wishes to delete this thread please feel free to do so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FN-1313 said:

Well this kind of fizzled after some time. Had a baby, changes in work and life in general. Due to all of this I really haven't been able to dedicate the same time to building these files and honestly I wouldn't trade time with my newborn for anything. If the detachment wishes to delete this thread please feel free to do so.

family is always first Kyle.

Happy to keep your thread here on FISD, who knows, one day you may decide to come back to it and pick up where you left off.

Congratulations on the expansion of your family, and see you back when you have a little free time.