Shinyarmour1 AP ANH Stunt First Build

Back to the ammo belt.  I've trimmed and sanded the buttons for the belt
10xm0yO.jpg

I drilled the holes for the connection to the canvas belt.  I'm using Chicago screws for a non permanent because I am building for long term.  If my canvas belt needs replacing in the future, it will be easy to do so with Chicago screws.
101cPhW.jpg

GKggCX7.jpg

Same for the drop boxes.  Easy to replace the elastic when it stretches in the distant future using Chicago screws.
Xl357BR.jpg

dIHVg9K.jpg

KZg5Zct.jpg

LeoiBj3.jpg

Does not appear to have any gaps.  Still working on the measurements of the canvas belt snap location to the Ab plate.  Trying to get it to look even and straight.  
wVOwzG6.jpg

G65i9Pv.jpg

I've also trimmed the excess from my canvas belt and sewn it up.
1rfFZDL.jpg

I've only  done 1 of the drop boxes because I want to know if everything looks correct first.  Do I need to trim any more from the top/bottom of the ammo belt for L3 approval?  I've read several build threads and triple checked the measurements; some have pass L3 by removing most of the top/bottom and others have passed without removing anymore.  When I know, I'll adjust the drop box elastic (if needed) and apply the same measurements for the other side. 

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wanted to have a go at painting the boots, so after reading several tutorials about boot painting, I got to work.  I gave them a good wipe over with acetone to remove the shine and placed the velco

Thanks for the helpful feedback everyone.  I'll have a go at closing the shin gap, if I can't, then I'll just leave it alone.  As for the thighs, I'll do as you guys advice and glue every strip waitin

Back plate   Kidney plate   Butt plate   Shoulder bridges   For the shoulder bridges, I read about reinforcing technique

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Shinyarmour1 said:

've only  done 1 of the drop boxes because I want to know if everything looks correct first.  Do I need to trim any more from the top/bottom of the ammo belt for L3 approval?  I've read several build threads and triple checked the measurements; some have pass L3 by removing most of the top/bottom and others have passed without removing anymore.  When I know, I'll adjust the drop box elastic (if needed) and apply the same measurements for the other side. 

That ammo Belt looks good Trooper, well done ! . A note For L3.  You may want  to move the drop boxes a bit more to de edge of the ABS Belt, a popular solution is to make a round cut to the strap to allow the Drop box  best position to keep it from moving you can add a bit E6000 .

Front view                                                                            Back view                                                     

eTqWfb3.jpg?1        xhmP37F.jpg?2     

Reference 

v1VB2zx.jpg?1

Keep on doing a great work :salute:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for pointing that out Mario.  Fortunately I hadn't got round to gluing the elastic onto the belt, so l can shift those along to the edge.  Here is what it will look like when I eventually glue the buttons over the Chicago screws
8njvJix.jpg

Taking the measurements from other builds, I marked the holes for the holster.
20mm from the belt edge
15mm from the bottom of the canvas belt
120mm between the holster holes

suhisFK.jpg

kSi1lJA.jpg

6dczBHH.jpg

I was about to attach the belt onto the Ab plate, whilst remembering to have it slightly covering the bottom of the buttons for screen accuracy.
Q2rabWT.jpg

But after doing dozens of measurement checks, I found that after measuring and marking the holes through the Ab plate onto the canvas belt for the snaps, the holes are offset.  The left hole on the belt (my left side) lines up with the Chicago screws, however, the right hole is lower down.  When I clamped it to the Ab plate, the belt appears to be straight and even for lower button coverage, but not the hole placement.

S7Pmyfp.jpg

I have read through lots of build threads and almost every other belt has the holes level and aligned with the pop rivets or snaps they use for the belt to canvas attachment.  I'm not sure what to do about this.  Should I drill a new hole (my right side) a little higher on the Ab plate to compensate for even snap installment on the belt, or just leave it and make the holes where I have measured?  I am open to any and all suggestions.

• Like 1

As you have the belt here in this image is does look higher on one side, I would probably try to check the measurements again. It can also make a difference when worn, normally you have a slight angle upwards towards the back on the sides so test fitting with ab and kidney on can be helpful

Q2rabWT.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to go back and finish my shoulder bridges and chest/back plate connection.  I glued the strips into all the slots and then glued a thick extra layer of ABS (about half the width of the bridges) to strengthen and allow some flexibility.

uEue0sj.jpg

0Qi0Nl7.jpg

C5mSJBR.jpg

TGuYl6l.jpg

Al least now I can rest knowing that little extras going to help.

• Like 1

Now to finish my shins.  The left shin is already assembled, I've just finished the right with the coverstrips.

2DQxBrF.jpg

5rwBEpc.jpg

The shins line up much better at the back after several hot water bathes. This makes the velcro connection better in appearance and performance.
2IgWaJ0.jpg

ZTK74EH.jpg

I've also placed the velco on the inside for the boot attachment.
0txxkRs.jpg

ywZfxuB.jpg

• Like 1

Getting back to the belt/snap conundrum.   I've taped up the torso to better display the belt placement.  Here you can see it is level and even, but as I have mentioned before, the snap are not even.  The snaps are lined with the rivets almost level in other builds.  The snap on the left (my left hand side) lines up with the Chicago screw no problem, but the right hand snap is much lower.  I'm thinking of drilling a new hole slightly higher in the Ab plate to even the belt and that would make the snaps level with the screws as well. 

S7Pmyfp.jpg

koGEfCL.jpg

hpyTz8U.jpg

Any thoughts about this idea?

See the thing is that the kidney plate is crooked.  So when the Ab plate is straight, the kidney is on a slight angle leaning to the left, which means the canvas belt at the back will give the illusion of being on an angle and raised on the left side.  And the buttons on the front, the large panel blue button would be slightly overlapped (screen accurate), but the small panel blue button would be concealed completely.  Also, the Ab plate position is not too much on an angle and it feels comfortable and even for my thighs to sit in.   When I have the chest plate strapped in and level, surly it won't be noticeable.  I've looked at many Centurion pics and found it hard to see the angle of the Ab/kidney plates.

I greatly appreciate all the advice and info everyone has provided to me.  I did not expect something so simple like the snap placement on a belt to be so much trouble.  

Having a second look at the photo, the chest plate was not secured properly onto the ab plate.  It's possible that the chest is on an angle, but it makes the rest of the suit look tilted.  

Edited by Shinyarmour1