Shinyarmour1

Shinyarmour1 AP ANH Stunt First Build

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 12:38 PM, TKSpartan said:

Hi mate, those forearms looks great. :jc_doublethumbup:

If I can make a suggestion, you can trim or sand a bit the lower section of your wrist ,

Mw9amwM.jpg

Reference Images 

XNSFau8.jpg       LDNSPNI.jpg?2                        

Keep on doing a great work !! 

Thanks for the feedback Mario.  I had another look at my wrists and I am unsure about removing anymore from them.

Not that I am doubting your expert eye, but I have retake images of the wrists from this angle and still unsure if I still need to take more off. 

oRwW5fF.jpg

If from this image you still believe I need to take some more off, then I most defiantly will.  However, I'm only hesitate because I don't want to trim too much into the indents.   

8J6ADJZ.jpg

Do I still need to take some off the wrists?  If so, is there a way to do this without reaching the indents?

Hi, sometimes the angle of the photo is a little tricky. Your wrist are OK. 

Great work. :jc_doublethumbup:

I have given my kidney plate a hot water bath. I read through some tutorials and taken some tip advice from fellow troopers before hand. I made a trace outline of the kidney shape, so after the bath and bending, I'll be able to see the difference. Also I made out of scape pieces of wood taped together, some reinforcments to clamp during the process. I was a bit nervous about doing this, but it's something that had to be done.

1BByjnZ.jpg

f60lZno.jpg

Okay...I have some good news and some bad news.

Good news

I bent one side of the kidney and as you can see it worked. Once the other side is bent, I'll use this as a reference for aligning the butt plate and ab plate when the time comes to bend thoughts.

FKZE8n0.jpg

Bad news

The reinforce clamping did not work. The return edge has suffered stress cracks, splits (inside and out)...

rwWJ9cZ.jpg

...And the entire return edge is warped.

ZxlK6qk.jpg

Instead of stressing out (usually my first reaction), I stopped working and thought about my options. I think I might have an idea to fix all this. First I'm probable going to have to bend the other side and accept the outcome. Once the kidney is reshaped and fits me better, then I can begin the repair. I was thinking of making some deliberate splits in those big (almost triangle shape)bent areas of the return edge, leveling them straight and trimming the overlapping excess.  

bswUjBH.jpg

This way there wouldn't be any stress and the areas would align ready for the next stage. Make a small batch of ABS paste and fill the cracks and splits, followed by the trusted 'wet sand and polish' technique. As for straigtening the whole return edge from the warped areas and the fixed split areas, I could make some reinforcement coverstrips to glue on the inside of the return edge. Use blocks of wood to clamp on the outside of the return and hopefully that would level and straighten the majority of the return. Any unevenness at the top of the return edge, I'd sand over, ABS paste over the top, then sand over the paste with wet sand and polish to level out.

vGuipsX.jpg

At this stage I am open to any and all sudgestions about fixing the cracks and straightening the warped return edge.

• Like 1

I'm a bit hesitate about giving more pieces a hot water bath at the moment.  So what I'm going to do is read more build threads (especially ones with hot water bath techniques) and shape the other side of the kidney on the weekend.  In the mean time, I'll take a break from the plastic and work on something else like the strapping system.  I have several packets of snaps and nylon webbing ready to go.  And I will use the double snap setting for my build for that extra bit of support.

• Like 1

Reducing the return edge as it appears you are doing will make it easier to reshape using the hot water bath method. Also that crack or snip is another way to bend the part in a particular spot. You can cut a v section from the return edge to emphasize the bend in that are, then simply reinforce and ABS past that area of return edge  when satisfied. you can make a few v cuts in a line to make the curve gradual rather than so much in one specific spot in the same fashion they make a curve when bending timber or even metal work if that makes sense.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sly11 said:

Reducing the return edge as it appears you are doing will make it easier to reshape using the hot water bath method. Also that crack or snip is another way to bend the part in a particular spot. You can cut a v section from the return edge to emphasize the bend in that are, then simply reinforce and ABS past that area of return edge  when satisfied. you can make a few v cuts in a line to make the curve gradual rather than so much in one specific spot in the same fashion they make a curve when bending timber or even metal work if that makes sense.

That sounds like a great idea.  I will implement that method for the other side of the Kidney just to see how that will work.  Then I'll do the same for the Ab and Butt plate if needed.

I have finished making some single snaps for the arms and double snaps for the torso.

Anm2YMD.jpg

I didn't have a hole punch device, so I just used small scissors to cut the holes and a lighter to burn the holes/ends to stop them from fraying.

qgbY657.jpg

Overall, I am pleased with the result.  I'll be needing to make some more, but I can do that later on as my build progresses.

SjDHFrd.jpg

I've been reading through various AP builds and have found something confusing about the TD screws.  AP have supplied (already painted) screws for the TD and the CRL states that they are accurate.  However, all the builds I have read through mention that they need to be replaced with flat pan slotted screws for L3.  Does that mean that the AP screws provided are not accurate for L3?  If not, I found one of these screws in the bottom of my tool chest.  I've done the measurements comparing it to the already supplied screws, luckily it is the same height and width as them.

ofZMCLD.jpg

If these screws are acceptable for L3, then I'll have another look to see if I can find more.

• Like 1

The AP screws might get past basic but you will need different ones to make higher levels. Same for trim as you need s-trim for helmet if going for centurion.

I also trimmed the TD clips at both ends and added a new hole to rotate for panel to face outward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Shinyarmour1 said:

I've been reading through various AP builds and have found something confusing about the TD screws.  AP have supplied (already painted) screws for the TD and the CRL states that they are accurate.  However, all the builds I have read through mention that they need to be replaced with flat pan slotted screws for L3.  Does that mean that the AP screws provided are not accurate for L3?  If not, I found one of these screws in the bottom of my tool chest.  I've done the measurements comparing it to the already supplied screws, luckily it is the same height and width as them.

Not to worry.  The pan-head screw requirement was dropped last year, and the ones you have will be good all the way to Centurion as long as the head diameter is not too large.

Test fit (take 2)

I cut 2 notches on both sides on the upper and lower return edges of the Kidney and the Butt plate (to help with the bend), gave them both a hot water bath and reshaped the sides to fix close to my body. I will ge round to fixing the warped/cut retun edges, but not until the reshaping has been modifided for my size.  I need some help on this because the torso is really becoming a pain to get right.  I could not reshape the Ab plate becasue the sides that needed heating could not fit in the pot, so I'll have to use a hair dry for that one. 

xolvwHj.jpg

L3o3wZ9.jpg

fk01ThV.jpg

Ky7L7l4.jpg

DALTS8F.jpg

As for the Kidney/Butt plate, I ran a test fit shortly after and there are 2 questions I have about the situation.

1.  Does it still look too wide on me?

5D4ihmM.jpg

mr8Bwa0.jpg

Eventhough it's closer to my sides, there's now more room front and back.  No amount of foam will compensate that gap.  So I'll probably have to do some trimming down.

2.  How much (and where) should I trim off?

I am open to any advice and info.

You don’t need the notches on the kidney pieces. You can trim here:
c3076dda92bc7a48cb45949862606858.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Shinyarmour1 said:

Test fit (take 2)

I cut 2 notches on both sides on the upper and lower return edges of the Kidney and the Butt plate (to help with the bend), gave them both a hot water bath and reshaped the sides to fix close to my body. I will ge round to fixing the warped/cut retun edges, but not until the reshaping has been modifided for my size.  I need some help on this because the torso is really becoming a pain to get right.  I could not reshape the Ab plate becasue the sides that needed heating could not fit in the pot, so I'll have to use a hair dry for that one. 

xolvwHj.jpg

L3o3wZ9.jpg

fk01ThV.jpg

Ky7L7l4.jpg

DALTS8F.jpg

As for the Kidney/Butt plate, I ran a test fit shortly after and there are 2 questions I have about the situation.

1.  Does it still look too wide on me?

5D4ihmM.jpg

mr8Bwa0.jpg

Eventhough it's closer to my sides, there's now more room front and back.  No amount of foam will compensate that gap.  So I'll probably have to do some trimming down.

2.  How much (and where) should I trim off?

I am open to any advice and info.

Hi, You can trim your Ab and Kidney plates a bit  ,

UkJnJGS.jpg

If It was my case, what I should do first is:

1- to mark the cut lines in both sides of each plate.

2- make a new test fit, but this time overlapping the plates to the marked lines and see how things fit together.

3- If necessary, trim the Butt Plate too to match .

The following chart from Christine "Cricket " could be useful for you to have an idea. Also you can post some photos before any cut to receive some opinions

Czl6OqP.jpg?1

I have made this a couple of times and have no issues.

Cheers.

Firstly, great job on documenting your build so far. Very well presented.

Just out of interest, there’s been many, many recommendations in your thread to give the armour a hot bath. I don’t think I’ve seen so many recommendations for this on a thread before.
Is this common to AP? Is the shape troublesome?

Just curious as, personally, I’ve never had to reshape any armour parts before. The parts have been similar enough to the original shapes not to need it.

Not a criticism at all, just curios. :-)

Best wishes
Dan

9 hours ago, CableGuy said:

Firstly, great job on documenting your build so far. Very well presented. emoji1303.png

Just out of interest, there’s been many, many recommendations in your thread to give the armour a hot bath. I don’t think I’ve seen so many recommendations for this on a thread before.
Is this common to AP? Is the shape troublesome?

Just curious as, personally, I’ve never had to reshape any armour parts before. The parts have been similar enough to the original shapes not to need it.

Not a criticism at all, just curios. :-)

Best wishes
Dan

I think AP is a bit large around the mid section and the right forearm can be funny to fit. I had to do the same on my TD build to make it fit better and look more screen accurate on me. The sizing is probably great for an average body Shape. 

• Like 1