Legion Web/Forum Hosting Fundraising 2020

gmrhodes13

eQZrYuG.png

Post from 501st legion forum: https://www.501st.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=106862&p=1352596#p1352596

Halloo!

It has been five years since our last drive for donations to pay for Legion hosting costs. 

Over the past five years, we have shifted our servers to the AWS (Amazon Web Services) architecture, utilizing Cloudfront CDN, RDS databasing, Route53 DNS, and AWS Firewall security, as well as regular backups and the storage thereof. We adopted a Google GSuite account to provide a more efficient email solution that also allows us to utilize an API to allow for opt-out, expanded our domain registration account with both Amazon and GoDaddy. And not least, we have taken on six detachments (FISD, IOC, MEPD, BHG, SLD and soon-to-be SP) to be hosted under the Legion account. We push an average of 650G of traffic a month between the main site, Databank, the forums, and the hosted detachment sites.

Our last drive in 2015 raised funds to cover the Legion's hosting bills for the period of February 2015 through August 2020, and it was a drive for only 501st.com.

It is time for us to pass the bucket again - combining the drives for the Legion and six hosted detachments.

Our first goal is just to keep the lights on for one year for 501st.com and the six detachments, no contract, paid month to month. Our second goal would allow us to lock in a contract with some price savings for three years, while our third (stretch) goal would allow us to go beyond that as well as explore other services and/or enfolding more detachments (if they choose) under the AWS account.

Please make sure you are logged into the forums, and then take a moment to visit the donation page, and make a small contribution to help fund the site: https://www.501st.com/donate/

There you will be able to make a donation and see how we are progressing at meeting the goals for this drive. If anyone has any questions - feel free to post here, or to email us at lwm@501st.com.

Thanks You!

~C
Rhaethe 
Legion Webmaster

NOTE this is open to members and no members alike, anyone can donate "troopers helping troopers"

We're saving all our money to make a new Death Star | Flickr

• Like 4

Hi folks

Our FISD forums are actually hosted on the legions platform and I dare say we use a good amount of the bandwidth due to the shear scale of our forums and number of users.

This is a good way to contribute a couple a bucks towards the continuing hosting costs of the legion and our great forums.

Thanks Glen for posting this here, I'm sure we will have a few eager to be involved and thanks everyone for your continued support  :salute:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaskedVengeance said:

I'm not a Legion member yet, but I intend to be this year, so I donated! I'm glad to be a supporter of this fine group! When we pool together we can do great things!

Almost there mate! :salute:

7 hours ago, MaskedVengeance said:

I'm not a Legion member yet, but I intend to be this year, so I donated! I'm glad to be a supporter of this fine group! When we pool together we can do great things!

Inside you, you know you're one of us...

• Like 2

15 hours ago, FLTMEDIC said:

I havent gotten membership yet, however I sent over some $$!

Way to go Paul, :duim:

2 minutes ago, TheRascalKing said:

Donated $25! I'm admittedly a shameless sucker for forum badges - will there be an updated Supporter 2020 one?

There is on the main legion forum but now that FISD's hosting is incorporated under the legion's I doubt there will be one here, be very hard to track who is an actually FISD member and donated. 

12 minutes ago, TheRascalKing said:

will there be an updated Supporter 2020 one?

Due to this is a 501 Legion funding, you will have a nice badge in your Legion Forum Profile.  :jc_doublethumbup: