Minor CRL wording changes

ukswrath

Hey all, for transparency we've made a couple minor CRL wording corrections, these will not effect any approvals. 

All OTTK armor related CRLs for Basic and L2 were updated. What used to state "Aerators/Hovi mic tips" now state "Aerators/Hovi-MIX tips" 

All FOTK armor related CRLs excluding Phasma for Basic and L2 were updated. What used to state "The right outside thigh (to the wearer) includes a base for a holster", now states "The right outside thigh to the wearer includes a base for a holster (holster must be present)". Level 2 "Holster must functional"

• Like 7

It reads on the CRL (Holster must be functional).  It's just a Typo in Tony's post:)

Only reason we changed the basic was due  to the oversight in the past, plus brings it into alignment with our OT CRL's as most of them have holsters as part of basic.

• Like 2

I noticed the CRL for ROTJ says BOOTS: soles/sides of the boots are white for L3 should "tan/cream" or "off-white" also be added.

9AAEB69D-723A-4195-BB86-D0BC3EFFE1FC.thu

4A393915-ED14-46BE-AB8E-495493E31F9B.thu

Nice catch, Glen!  I would go "White/off-white or cream" though.  They probably all turn tan eventually, but having that color listed may may be open to interpretation.

seNN2bC.jpg?1

On 5/26/2020 at 9:24 PM, Neb Sgird said:

I assume this should read "holster must function"

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Welcome to my dysfunctional world :laugh1: 

2 hours ago, ukswrath said:

Just guessing here but are they off white because they've been in dirt?

Appears constistantly off white/tan, only the soles though and not the actual boots, so who knows

• Like 1

I think the distinction lies between the those stationed on Cloud city and those poor souls stationed on Endor.  No dirt/soil to stain while serving on a floating city, but tons of Ewok scat to wade through takes a toll on the color of the soles.  :D

• Like 2

Interesting so maybe if we ever decide to make a Endor version of the ROTJ TK that would certainly be a differing factor as part of the look and weathering.

They do look nice and white on the Death Star and nobody is going to ask to look at the underneath of the sole to see an off white colour.

I do remember the weather look being discussed in the past, and probably on a few occasions but nothing has ever come of it.

The other implications would or rather have been is the fact several are seen on screen without Thermal detonators (obviously lost during the shoot or stunt men without for safety).

2 hours ago, Sly11 said:

Interesting so maybe if we ever decide to make a Endor version of the ROTJ TK that would certainly be a differing factor as part of the look and weathering.

They do look nice and white on the Death Star and nobody is going to ask to look at the underneath of the sole to see an off white colour.

I do remember the weather look being discussed in the past, and probably on a few occasions but nothing has ever come of it.

The other implications would or rather have been is the fact several are seen on screen without Thermal detonators (obviously lost during the shoot or stunt men without for safety).

My two cents,  What if Those differing factors, not only in ROTJ TK but in other armors like The Mandalorian's Remanent TK and even ANH TK like mr No strips   etc. Can be a 4 level of certification as the MEPD has the SWAT level? just a crazy idea for a near future. :0Lighten::laugh1:

cheers

Edited by TKSpartan
word correction

2 hours ago, TKSpartan said:

My two cents,  What if Those differing factors, not only in ROTJ TK but in other armors like The Mandalorian's Remanent TK and even ANH TK like mr No strips   etc. Can be a 4 level of certification as the MEPD has the SWAT level? just a crazy idea for a near future. :0Lighten::laugh1:

cheers

Not so crazy really, but we do aim for as much uniformity as possible and I'd hate to see gaffer tape stuck on more armour than we should.

Where do you draw the line is probably the hot point in that debate, like why allow this and not that etc etc.

Sandies are a little different as they are heavily weathered and all can be comfortably different. We are faced with movie patch up jobs and simple mistakes that are our big issue. Also it would be a nightmare for any DO, and I could see many a disagreement happening. Do we wish that on anyone really but never say never right:)

• Like 1

I always thought going without a detonator should have been an option. Similar to how packless sandies are allowed. There were a good number of them and liklihood is that they were ommitted for the stuntmens safety/comfort. Also the fact holsters are viewed as optional for ROTJs makes a compelling case for dets also being optional.
But I totally get the strive for uniformity.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Colin1138 said:

I always thought going without a detonator should have been an option. Similar to how packless sandies are allowed. There were a good number of them and liklihood is that they were ommitted for the stuntmens safety/comfort. Also the fact holsters are viewed as optional for ROTJs makes a compelling case for dets also being optional.
But I totally get the strive for uniformity.

I think we just need to disagree.  There were a lot of wardrobe flubs in ANH that if they had done it again would not have been missed.  IOC also doesn't allow flubs in their CRLs, and I don't think we should either.  The hallmark of a TK is uniformity, whereas every TD was unique.

• Like 3

Here is my take:  The only few that were missing TD's were on Endor.  Even then they were the minority.  I agree that they were probably removed for those who's stunts required it so that they didn't fall on it, but since 99% were shown in the film wearing them they should stay standard and have the correct ROTJ plate.  If someone chooses to wear their armor without one after approval that is up to them.

NMVgGxS.jpg?1   O10AmYQ.jpg?1

hxuhJ0Z.jpg?1

• Like 1

These are fair and valid points indeed. But it somewhat highlights the issue of the holster. The majority of troopers did wear them, both on DS2 and Endor, yet its listed as optional on the CRL(or was at least when I built my kit..and got EIB with it)
.If we view it in a similar scenario to the TD..then should we bump it up to required now?

Good point.  TBH, for the ROTJ at least, I'm not sure.  Even with the TD while I have my preference, I think some variations are OK as some were squeaky clean, some were dirty on Endor.   I think it's a lot of how we word it TBH.

15 hours ago, Sly11 said:

A dirty variant would be neat!

As for TDs being optional because some TKs lacked them, IMO, I view those like Mr.-no-stripes or Mr.-upside-down-bicep. Production goofs.

Edited by Harbinger
  • Like 2

A split CRL would be cool!

The Deathstar variant would be the easist to nail down for a split out CRL. All those guys were pristine, had white soles,bubble lenses,TDs and holsters.
The Endor version has so many variables. All of the above mentioned re: TDs etc but also flat lenses/bubbles, some were weathered, some not. Some even liked to wear their chestplates under the ab plate...if we really wanted to be thorough!

• Like 1

I also think the holster needs to be added back in as a must have on the RotJ current CRL.

The rabbit hole that is Endor weathered will still need a uniform approach else it's open season.

I'm keen to have the two versions available, we need someone now willing to build a dirty version so we have images for the CRL. Ultimately, that member will be involved in the writing of this CRL, as only some of it will be copy/paste.

One thing about the TD's, if its not part of the CRL can you imagine every time that person troops they will be told "Hey you lost your Thermal Det" that would annoy me having to explain it all the time lol.

7 hours ago, Sly11 said:

I also think the holster needs to be added back in as a must have on the RotJ current CRL.

The rabbit hole that is Endor weathered will still need a uniform approach else it's open season.

I'm keen to have the two versions available, we need someone now willing to build a dirty version so we have images for the CRL. Ultimately, that member will be involved in the writing of this CRL, as only some of it will be copy/paste.

One thing about the TD's, if its not part of the CRL can you imagine every time that person troops they will be told "Hey you lost your Thermal Det" that would annoy me having to explain it all the time lol.

I'm with you 100% on the holsters, but if we are going to split up the costumes I think that it depends on which one the trooper is going for.  I have combed through a ton of images from each type, and I can only find one trooper sporting a holster on Endor.  That could be an optional item for that CRL, but for the Death Star it seems that having one was the norm for the most part and should indeed be a requirement.

Endor                                                                                                              Death star/Cloud city

syYXrf7.jpg?1             2hakUMx.jpg?2  jUtH8Ni.jpg?2  SwhY3gA.jpg?2  fPnGAm0.jpg?2  Ik4mNet.jpg?2

For the reasons I mentioned in my last post here, I think TDs requirements should remain as they are for both types of costumes.

• Like 1

I'm discussing with the LMO's how this CRL needs to be handled. They are debating if it should be a variant or the weathering an option for the existing CRL with some of the obvious differences.

I'm guessing it will be a variant vs. a new CRL.  TBH if it were done today, the ANH Hero would be a variant, not a new CRL.  Then again, the Reserve Pilot wouldn't exist either, and many clones would be variants too.