Eric's mostly 3d Printed HWT Pack Build

I actually hadn't seen that thread, or at least not recently enough to remember it!  He is seeing a lot of the same things that I am.  I'm trying to match the game parts but still be sympathetic to the CRL in the hopes that I can still get it approved.   If not, I still have the files from most of my gen 1 parts that are very close to the CRL parts so I shoudln't have any trouble.  When I release the files I'm going to release it with both variations of CRL and Game versions. 

• Like 2

Hey Eric

Fantastic work! Loving it!

Don’t suppose you’d consider producing a STL for the actual backpack (aka oil drain pan container)? Here in Australia, and I imagine it’s not too different elsewhere, finding the right sized pan is a real pain in the derrière. Most of the pans are too narrow or too thick, or don’t have the handle in the right place.

Anywho, regardless, looking forward to seeing the end product

6 hours ago, tarok said:

Don’t suppose you’d consider producing a STL for the actual backpack (aka oil drain pan container)? Here in Australia, and I imagine it’s not too different elsewhere, finding the right sized pan is a real pain in the derrière. Most of the pans are too narrow or too thick, or don’t have the handle in the right place.

I hadn't planned on it since its such a large part to try to 3d print.  It would have to be sliced into several small sections, glued together, the seams hidden, and painted.  I think it may end up being too fragile and/or too heavy, which is the beauty of building on the pre existing oil can.  But if none are easily available then you may have to just make do with whats available or use a different container?  The CRL is just a guide, the base doesn't have to match perfectly and maybe Australia just needs a different "standard base" due to availability.

Here is this oil can: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Black-Oil-Drain-Pan-15Ltr-Large-Capacity-Perfect-for-Multiple-Oil-Changes/302944282702?hash=item4688e2e84e:g:9B8AAOSwUalb3UAi

You could flip it upside down to get the handle on top and then just cut off the U-shaped handle and spout on the bottom and fill in the holes with sheet plastic.  It would probably be close enough.

Barring that, how about another long flat rectangular container like an under-the-bed storage tub?: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-x-12L-Under-Bed-Storage-Container-Plastic-AU-Shoe-Toy-Organiser-Lid-Box-Holder/184287657434?hash=item2ae8667dda:g:0XYAAOSwCMxeuNIG

I'm sure they come in enough sizes to find something that would be close enough and if the lid were glued to the body it would probably be strong enough.  

I agree that the structure would likely be compromised if printing the actual oil catch can. If I recall correctly, I've seen several builders use that can that Eric linked to on Ebay. Another option would be water or gasoline containers, or storage bins as Eric also mentioned. I did quite a lot of research (documented on my thread) on where to purchase handles for an oil can which I was initially interested in, but I'm not sure what shipping to Australia would look like.

As you are, @tarok, I am super pumped about this project!

Everything is printed so its paint day!  The PVC tube was painted and assembled a couple years ago when I did the first one so one less part to paint this time around.  I have found a couple parts that need a little tweaking of the files but otherwise everything else is working out nicely.

1FvNrTw.jpg

Parts laid out.  Don't mind the VW vents or the Mando Gaunts.  

sxcXxhA.jpg

LUVBGt6.jpg

PyZUUBB.jpg

AvPcmeG.jpg

PTLzfyk.jpg

While this batch of parts were drying I assembled my radio.  For the CRL pack, I cut the memories box down to 2.5" tall and glued it together with hot glue.  For this more game accurate pack, I left the height of the memories box alone.  Per the screen grabs, the radio sits pretty proud of the other components so I think its better this way.  We'll see for sure once its all assembled but cutting it down some will be an easy thing to fix if I don't like it.   

The faceplates are also spaced closer to the bottom of the box per the game and I have an empty strip at the top where I put two screws.  I could tweak it a little more to get it closer to the game but I think the way I have it now is simple and still matches the CRL in spirit so I'm happy with it as-is.

AdOn4e1.jpg

68hIJfC.jpg

• Like 3

Second pack is assembled!  I'm *almost* ready to release the files.  I need to tweak a couple parts and that's it!  

Assembly of my second pack went pretty much the same as the first.  Cut out the back of the oil can (an oscillating saw worked wonders for this), plug the top hole with my 3d printed plate, attach the side PVC tube with my clamps and 1/4"-20 screws, lay out parts on the can, use doubled sided tape to hold the parts in place while I screwed them in from the back (use a hole saw and/or step bit to cut some access holes for your drill), then attach the straps.  

MfvOT9c.jpg

LEhJGJ8.jpg

KiKKLVk.jpg

TLShucA.jpg

Y6ufrqx.jpg

qt74TtT.jpg

And the finished product side-by-side!  I'm super stoked with BOTH packs!!! :D

n5KUTtK.jpg

Here are pictures of the new Game Accurate Pack.  Almost everything is 3d printed, including the wipe tube.  The Memories box was left uncut, the base is still an oil can, and the side tube is still PVC.  

9uaM2Iz.jpg

gZLqR01.jpg

5dAQXSS.jpg

X0ABihv.jpg

yv54Gms.jpg

8xCdfCu.jpg

And this is the first CRL Accurate-ish Pack.  It very closely matches the Ukswrath builds and pictures in the CRL with the exception of the tombstone vent box being slanted.  

yw1NZu1.jpg

5V5bN0i.jpg

0hXOqgz.jpg

LfNzJ0q.jpg

VKvZAKN.jpg

rKLoPGc.jpg

(a note about the straps - the CRL pack straps dig into my ribs so the Game pack straps were cut to 46" long total, the longer top straps were cut to 26" to put the buckles further away from my armpits)

Edited by Eric Ostendorf
  • Like 3

Amazing work! I’m going to have to visit Thingiverse once I’m back at a computer! I’m new to 3D printing, so hopefully I won’t mess things up too bad, but I’ll probably try a combination of the CRL and game parts, including scaling the vent box. I LOVE the vent style on the game one, but may just make it a bit larger to occupy the space on the pack. I’d love to take my HWT to L3 so I’ll need to stick close enough to the CRL to satisfy the DOs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amazing work.

Question for those with more experience:  If I print the game accurate versions will I run into problems with approval as they dont exactly match the example pictured on the crl

I know the crl is worded that it should "closely match the reference pictures".

Amazing work.
Question for those with more experience:  If I print the game accurate versions will I run into problems with approval as they dont exactly match the example pictured on the crl
I know the crl is worded that it should "closely match the reference pictures".

You may need to bargain a bit with your GML, and you may even consider reaching out to them before printing. Keep in mind your GML may not necessarily be well-versed in the HWT, and may therefore put a lot of stock in the CRL reference images, rather than game images. Note, too, that the oil pan which Joseph used in the CRL images is no longer produced, and weren’t readily available all over the world anyway, so obviously some latitude is in order for builders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Excellent points - thanks for highlighting those Caleb.  You are spot on that working with your GML on this as you go and seeing it as an educational process is much better than just tossing pix over the wall and hoping the other side understands in a vacuum.

• Like 1

Thanks for the compliments!  This has been rolling around in head for a while and its really nice to see it getting  a lot of hits on Thingiverse already.  I'm going to drop a quick edit with the link on my first post of this thread and I'm going to drop it onto the 3d printed parts board too.  

As for approval, I think the only part that might cause issues would be the flap vent box.  I think its the most different looking component of the batch but even then with a screenshot of the game pack and some conversation with your GML I would imagine it would be fine.  

Also, I think it would be neat to see the parts mixed and matched or have some scratch built parts mixed in too.  When I was doing research, I saw lots of variations in the scratch built parts so there's certainly some leeway on these packs anyway in terms to uniformity.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...