Question on casting production made prop part

funkster

Relative noob here.

Can someone clarify something for me.

I acquired a production/screen used costume part from a very successful R rated movie last year, at a not small amount of money for me.

If I were to mold, cast and sell replicas of this piece, is that not recasting?

7 minutes ago, funkster said:

Relative noob here.

Can someone clarify something for me.

I acquired a production/screen used costume part from a very successful R rated movie last year, at a not small amount of money for me.

If I were to mold, cast and sell replicas of this piece, is that not recasting?

It would be. But the community at large, not just the star wars one, thinks recasting an original production piece is OK. Of course, some collectors disagree as it devalues their own collection but they are a minority. The issues pile up when recasting another recast like the CFO/JoeR in recent discussion or an original sculpt.

CFO and JoeR worked together to mould and cast a production made helmet that JoeR owns. Community belief says only CFO and JoeR can say who gets to make additional copies of "their" casts.

If you were making a copy just for yourself I see no issues.  Think of it this way... if you were to purchase the original mask that Bane wore in "The Dark Knight rises" film and wanted to cast a replica to wear, no biggie.  But, if you were to start selling them, DC comics (or especially one of their licensees that have them for sale) could have an issue.   Even though you own the actual mask, they still own the rights to the image.  Some companies can be very protective of their intellectual property, especially when there is money involved.

• Like 1