Hello from Orange County CA

Hi 

My name is Jay and I’m super excited to be here. I’ve been a huge fan of the movies and just this year I decided to make my own stormtrooper outfit that I’ve always wanted. Unfortunately, not a lot of my girlfriends like SW and usually it’s just me getting super excited about it on my own so I don’t have a lot of people to share my excitement over SW. My BF does love SW but he's too shy to dress up and he's more of a "light Side" kind of guy, he's more of a Qui Gon Jinn or a Mace Windu person.  I thought maybe making my own outfit and joining a group of like-minded people might help me "nerd" over my love for SW and more specifically over stormtroopers. Since the first time I saw SW I was obsessed with Stormtroopers, and when I saw that infamous stormtrooper bump his head on the top of the door opening I knew I was a stormtrooper (I'm kind of clumsy). Not really sure what I’m getting myself into but I’m super excited about it. Should have my costume done by fall, hoping to work on it all summer long. If everything goes well, I hope to move up the ranks to Tie Fighter (another costum I want to build) but I will be just as happy just moving up the ranks as a stormtrooper too. 

J.  

• Like 1

Hey Jay welcome to the FISD and home of the Stormtrooper nerd herd :laugh1:

We suggest you start here - https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/38-getting-started-read-this-first/

If you have any questions feel free to ask away

Hi Jay, welcome to FISD. 

Happy to read you're on the way of making a dream come true and soon we're going to have a new fellow Stormtrooper here.

Have you purchased your armor already? tell us more.

Feel free to ask questions and post tons of photos of your armor build . We are here to help.

Cheers. :salute:

I'm so excited, I bought my costume on Etsy and I actually didn’t know about you guys until; 1. I was looking at videos on how to construct it and they kept saying its 501st approved. so I looked it up, 2. a coworker asked me if I was going to try to get my outfit approved when I was done and he filled me in on a couple of things but said I should research it more. he said it was probably a good thing to do seeing how I’m always talking to him about SW and Stormtroopers. I haven’t received my outfit but its eta is June 1st. I wish I would have found this earlier and had a better understanding of what to look for but it is what it is. BTW, I am reading all of the documents posted about being a new member, they are very informational. 

Thanks!!

• Like 2

You found the right place Jay! Here we all can disclose our inner nerd freely.  Welcome and take a look around to learn as much as you can before you start building.  

Welcome, Jay!  There are a few sellers of Stormtrooper armor on Etsy who are above board and supply great armor like AP and 850 armor works, but here are also vendors there who sell kits that (despite what they may say) are not 501st approvable either at all or without a lot of work.  Just know that we are here to help, and not to judge.  Knowing which armorer you chose will help us determine which is the correct path to follow, and ALWAYS feel free to ask any questions you may have.

• Like 2

Hi Jay, welcome to FISD. Read a lot...Ask a lot...It is not a problem...

My wife didn't like SW very much at first ... But now, with the help of my kids, we've turned her to the dark side...Now that she doesn't hear me, I think she's Palpatine's sister:laugh1:

Regards...

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Bump! Curious if your armor arrived and you've started building? Are you on the SCF Imperial Recruits FB page as well? Let us know how we can help! (I'm also in Orange County!)

Welcome Jay. You found the right place for your love of Stormtroopers. I started off the same way as you. I loved the iconic look of the Stormtroopers in A New Hope and for years thought about joining the 501st. I didn't have the right skill set to make my own armor, but ended up buying a kit, and assembling it, with the help of members on these boards, and fellow members of what is now the Garrison I am part of. You will find no shortage of help here. I hope you are able to complete your journey and join the ranks.