DannyBamBam's first build thread!

Just about done with the exterior of my helmet! Really happy with how it turned out, this is my first time painting anything other than a wall haha

rBEcjYU.jpg

kk0fCW9.jpg

UOUgUlL.jpg

BG2sBT7.jpg

As Im moving on to coating the inside with the cheesecloth and plastidip, i realized i still need  to cut down the screws that are holding the ears on. My tin snips wont cut through them, and dremeling them down is taking forever. Any tips on cutting those down?

Alright, so dremeling the screws to cut them down turned out to be a bad idea. The screw got really hot, and ended up melting a bit of the plastic on the ear at the screw hole, sinking the screw into the ear, making the hole too big. Luckily, I have an extra ear for that side since I had to reorder to when I messed up cutting the other ear, so not too much damage done. So, now, I definitely wanna cut the screws down before installing them in the ear, how should I go about cutting them?

Wish I could give advice on shortening those screws, but I haven’t gotten that far myself yet. Perhaps you could find shorter screws at your local hardware store? Depending on whether or not your screws are actually too long to safely coexist with your head in your helmet, you might be able to simply put some sort of screw guard or glue on the ends to smooth them up. However, if they actually poke you, you’d definitely need a better solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, MaskedVengeance said:

Wish I could give advice on shortening those screws, but I haven’t gotten that far myself yet. Perhaps you could find shorter screws at your local hardware store? Depending on whether or not your screws are actually too long to safely coexist with your head in your helmet, you might be able to simply put some sort of screw guard or glue on the ends to smooth them up. However, if they actually poke you, you’d definitely need a better solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, they stick out towards the head by over an inch haha, it's really scary putting the helmet on and having these screws centimeters from your eyes as you twist the helmet

Any tips on installing the lenses? I cut the lense out from the strip of material I have, and cant seem to get the lense to sit flush with the eye holes. I'm using Sugru to mount them. I looked at the sugru tutorial thread, and it makes it seem way simpler than it is going for me. I can get the lense flush with the eye holes if I apply enough pressure, but the sugru doesnt seem to be enough to hold them in that shape. Do I need to get a heat gun to shape them?

Ended up being able to salvage the ear that i sunk the screw though, patched the hole with some abs paste, then redrilled the screwhole.

Fitting the S-Trim now, noticed that the rim doesnt properly go all the way around, its behind this ear, so there is either gonna be a gap between the trim and the helmet, or that ear is gonna have to be where i start and end the trim. Any thoughts on which i should go with? Im leaning towards the second pic, starting and ending the trim there.

wVzDauN.jpg

i68VINj.jpg

Also still looking for help on the lenses, would really appreciate that so i can be done with the helmet haha

Thanks!

On 5/26/2020 at 2:04 AM, Dannybambam said:

I can get the lense flush with the eye holes if I apply enough pressure, but the sugru doesnt seem to be enough to hold them in that shape. 

If you leave a small gap(small, not 1 cm:laugh1:), it is not bad. This will help keep your lenses from fogging up inside your helmet. I don't know if a heat gun is a good idea, can distort the view...

Regards.

35 minutes ago, Chemi said:

If you leave a small gap(small, not 1 cm:laugh1:), it is not bad. This will help keep your lenses from fogging up inside your helmet. I don't know if a heat gun is a good idea, can distort the view...

Regards.

That makes sense. I still cant get the lense to actually stay there in shape. Was I supposed to cut the lenses out of the strip, or does the whole strip go in there? I feel like I've seen both, and putting the strip in there seems to work better to fit them to the curve.

1 hour ago, Dannybambam said:

That makes sense. I still cant get the lense to actually stay there in shape. Was I supposed to cut the lenses out of the strip, or does the whole strip go in there? I feel like I've seen both, and putting the strip in there seems to work better to fit them to the curve.

Hi Danny,  What I usually do, a practical way to place the lenses, is to put the strip in there. For me it woks great and as Chemi said "This will help keep your lenses from fogging up inside " here a couple of photos.

7aBr947.jpg?1

J9L3wxE.jpg

Cheers :salute:

48 minutes ago, TKSpartan said:

Hi Danny,  What I usually do, a practical way to place the lenses, is to put the strip in there. For me it woks great and as Chemi said "This will help keep your lenses from fogging up inside " here a couple of photos.

7aBr947.jpg?1

J9L3wxE.jpg

Cheers :salute:

Awesome, thanks!

• Like 1

Had some help putting some finishing touches on my bucket last night!

MsFgjF9.jpg

1zPeC5C.jpg

Started on my calves today, they somehow dont need to be shortened, which tells me that the thighs are gonna have to be cut down a lot, im only 5'5" haha

still looking for thoughts on the s trim posted yesterday

• Like 1

On 5/26/2020 at 6:53 PM, Dannybambam said:

itting the S-Trim now, noticed that the rim doesnt properly go all the way around, its behind this ear, so there is either gonna be a gap between the trim and the helmet, or that ear is gonna have to be where i start and end the trim. Any thoughts on which i should go with? Im leaning towards the second pic, starting and ending the trim there.

Could you please post a photo for the complete helmet form botton? I mean to see how the  complete "S" trim is going.

cheers