DannyBamBam's first build thread!

Hey! I'm Danny, I'm from Lake County, Illinois, currently working on my first TK build! I've been working on this on and off for the past year or so, finally have enough free time (obviously) to seriously sit down and get this done. The kit is from MTK, I bought it like 5 years ago when I was a teenager dreaming of one day enlisting in the 501st, it cost pretty much everything I had in my bank account at the time, then I realized i had no idea what i was getting myself into, and it sat in the box for 4 years. Like I said, I'm already a bit of the way through this, only finally starting this thread because I need some help with my helmet. 

So, the issue I'm having, is the ears. I know these tend to cause people a lot of troubles, so I'm hoping itll be pretty simple to get some help. I finally got both ears to fit on, after 3 replacement right ears haha. But I realized that they aren't even. They're both pretty much lined up as they should be, but the left is way further back than the right. If I move the right one back to match the left, theres a visible seam. And if I move the left forward to match the right, again, visible seam. Neither of them can move in order to match the other. I'm really lost as to what to do at this point. 

I know for a fact that I've used the proper ears on the proper sides, that tends to be people's answer to my problem, even tho it isnt the correct answer lol. Imgur album below

http://imgur.com/a/4v6nV7m

Hi Danny and welcome aboard, it can be daunting at first, have a look through some of the build threads is a great way to pick up some tips and trips, everyone goes through the panic of the first cut. Looking forward to the progress, good luck.

If you post separate images to your thread you will get more feedback, use the "direct link" and copy directly into your thread.

Also use the "Gallery Sections" lots of screen references there 

A few threads for ears:

• Like 3

Ive been through those threads a million times, I just can't figure out what's going on. The ears are trimmed fine, the problem is that they can't sit right so that they'd be directly lined up across from each other. Moving the left ear forward to match the right would then expose the edge of the back of the helmet

Hi Danny, welcome aboard.

Looks like you are getting some great advice already, and you are on your way. Enjoy the journey.

Alright, took some new photos, lets try out this direct image link thing haha

lWz4uV1.jpg

front view

BHNhQhr.jpg

Heres the left one, the one that looks weird IMO. if i were to move it forward at all to match the right, it would expose a gap in the helmet where the back ends

vG2WBt6.jpg

this is the right ear. like on the left, if i were to move it back to match the left, theres a gap where the front ends

GAmSm2a.jpg

bottom view, shows pretty clearly how they dont line up

zfjjFjG.jpg

Ive decided to just accept the wonky ear for what it is and move on. i know helmets can be weird, so this is just gonna be how mine looks haha. started paiting this weekend, pretty tedious, but happy with how its coming along.

jOmVp8b.jpg

XjmSL8v.jpg

LoOpJ7b.jpg

let me know if theres anything not right with what ive done so far!

Coming along nicely, try not to get too much paint on the gum area, from the CRLFrown is painted gray and does not leave the teeth area

XjmSL8v.jpg

ANHSTUNTfrown2

• Like 1

Very good work !!!. Maybe the ridges of the vocoder  a bit more rounded...

image.jpeg.7124f3f804857dc4ee9809f7c0e29a19.jpeg

You are doing a perfect job. Keep  it up, trooper:salute:

Regards.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Chemi said:

Very good work !!!. Maybe the ridges of the vocoder  a bit more rounded...

image.jpeg.7124f3f804857dc4ee9809f7c0e29a19.jpeg

You are doing a perfect job. Keep  it up, trooper:salute:

Regards.

Yup, already planning on touching that up, waiting on the current layer to dry, thanks!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Dannybambam said:

Looking for something like this. I looked into this one a bit, I dont believe the guy is selling them at the moment though

Have you contacted  Justin ?  @TheRascalKing

1 minute ago, TKSpartan said:

Have you contacted  Justin ?  

@TheRascalKing

We chatted. I'm holding off making kits a little while longer as I'm recovering from my battle with cancer. Hopefully this summer!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TheRascalKing said:

We chatted. I'm holding off making kits a little while longer as I'm recovering from my battle with cancer. Hopefully this summer!

Ok,  I didn't know you have already talked. Get well soon mate. :salute:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TKSpartan said:

Ok,  I didn't know you have already talked. Get well soon mate. :salute:

No worries! Normally I'd appreciate the plug haha

Not quite as nice and complete as mine imo (sorry!), but Sarah sells sort of a similar kit if that helps!

Stormtrooper Costume Strapping Kit  Option 3  Snaps Pads image 0

https://www.etsy.com/listing/609695611/stormtrooper-costume-strapping-kit

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheRascalKing said:

No worries! Normally I'd appreciate the plug haha

Not quite as nice and complete as mine imo (sorry!), but Sarah sells sort of a similar kit if that helps!

Stormtrooper Costume Strapping Kit  Option 3  Snaps Pads image 0

https://www.etsy.com/listing/609695611/stormtrooper-costume-strapping-kit

Awesome, thank you. I'd love to be able to wait for yours, but I'm trying to get this done before this summer. I appreciate the help, I'll definitely look for you again if I ever make another set!

Looking for something like this. I looked into this one a bit, I dont believe the guy is selling them at the moment though

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/48337-mvs-anh-tk-stunt-ata-1st-build-thread-for-centurion/?do=findComment&comment=682216

If your build ends up getting delayed, and Justin gets back into making his strapping kits after his recovery, I would highly recommend it. Quality product and great guy to work with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk