Blue Fabric for Tube Vents

DarthBiscuit

Hey all! While I'm still chugging away on my Jimmiroquai R1TK bucket, I still don't have everything I need. One thing that I'm hoping for some recommendations on is the blue mesh/fabric to back my tube vents. I had planned on going to Michael's so I could see and feel some options, but it doesn't seem like that will be a possibility for the foreseeable future. So, I'd like to see what other R1TKs used and vouch for, so I can do the same without worrying if it'll work or not.

• Online at Michael's, I found this Palace Blue Matte Netting Fabric, which looks like a great, vibrant blue. However, it's a very thin mesh that I would probably have to layer several times so it isn't see through. I guess that would make it breathable, but I'm not sure it will work and I can't physically see it before buying...

q7ddzRmb.jpg

• Online at Joann, I found Symphony Broadcloth Polyester Blend Fabric Solids, both Jazz Blue and Dark Royal Blue, along with Sportswear Apparel Stretch Twill Fabric Solids in Dazzle Blue, but they either aren't available for shipping or there's a 2-yard minimum order! I don't think Joann has what I'm looking for.

• What did you use?

Thanks for any help/suggestions!

• Like 1

Hi Dan, As I have seen in some R1 building threads they use some king of fabric or as Justin pointed, foam or similar. 

me75WBS.jpg

jwhAVgE.jpg

221zFY8.jpg

Good luck with your project.  :salute:

3 hours ago, TKSpartan said:

Hi Dan, As I have seen in some R1 building threads they use some king of fabric or as Justin pointed, foam or similar. 

Mario, thanks for the notes and pics! I have noticed that as well, looking through others' R1TK builds. However, since I can't go to a store and try out the look and feel of different options, I was hoping for specific suggestions so I can comfortably order it without worrying if it'll work.

Thanks!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DarthBiscuit said:

I was hoping for specific suggestions so I can comfortably order it without worrying if it'll work.

In such case, I may suggest one foam option and for more confort and breathable options I may suggest to add some fan to your helmet.

https://www.amazon.com/Time-Crafts-sheet-Pack-inches/dp/B0764LX5QF/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=blue+foam&qid=1589229475&sr=8-4

Cheers

:salute:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TKSpartan said:

me75WBS.jpg

jwhAVgE.jpg

221zFY8.jpg

Good luck with your project.  :salute:

The last two pics are from my helmet and I literally went to Michaels, grabbed some blue fabric from the clearance area, and glued it in there. Just try to get something breathable so air can get through it, if you grab wool or something, you are going to have a bad time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'll start by saying that I haven't started a R1 build, but it's on my wish list.

On 5/11/2020 at 11:37 AM, DarthBiscuit said:

Online at Michael's, I found this Palace Blue Matte Netting Fabric, which looks like a great, vibrant blue. However, it's a very thin mesh that I would probably have to layer several times so it isn't see through. I guess that would make it breathable, but I'm not sure it will work and I can't physically see it before buying...

q7ddzRmb.jpg

• Online at Joann, I found Symphony Broadcloth Polyester Blend Fabric Solids, both Jazz Blue and Dark Royal Blue, along with Sportswear Apparel Stretch Twill Fabric Solids in Dazzle Blue, but they either aren't available for shipping or there's a 2-yard minimum order! I don't think Joann has what I'm looking for.

I found netting fabric similar to what you pictured in my local JoAnn's. If I remember correctly it only needed three layers to make it opaque.  Just do a search for "nylon net."

• Like 1

I may have another option now lol! I'm thinking I could cut strips off a running shirt...the one below is pretty close to the recommended Humbrol 14 French Blue, and it's performance material and should breathe really well. Plus, I'd have extra that I can send out to others!

Nv21r4B.jpg

How does that sound/look?

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Late to the party here but I used a french blue polyester/ spandex fabric i found at Joanns. I took a roll of blue painters tape with me and match the color with a breathable fabric. For the tears and traps I used a similar fabric in black. Page 3 of my build shows the fabric and the receipt.

• Like 2