Hello! MTK build WIP

2 minutes ago, Matchstick said:

Left side, thank you! I’ll update my list. And I’ll have plenty of questions! 
I can’t stress how much of a help your thread has already been @MaskedVengeance it’s a wealth of good information. 

As an add on to my previous post I received my gloves and flexible hand guards as well as the centurion hardware kit from @justjoseph63 

Ask away!

I can’t stress how much of a help your thread has already been [mention=36573]MaskedVengeance[/mention] it’s a wealth of good information. 

I’m glad my build has been helpful to you! I’m sure you’d see it eventually, but today my build went on an indefinite hold. However, I’m considering continuing to post references and procedures I would have followed were I able to continue the build (like what-if posts). At the very least, I’m sticking around to hopefully help other builders continue their own journeys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, MaskedVengeance said:

I’m glad my build has been helpful to you! I’m sure you’d see it eventually, but today my build went on an indefinite hold. However, I’m considering continuing to post references and procedures I would have followed were I able to continue the build (like what-if posts). At the very least, I’m sticking around to hopefully help other builders continue their own journeys.

I did see that, I hope everything works out for you and your family and you can get back to building but real life comes first. 

So my first question involves my helmet, specifically the back section. Looking at other pictures it seems as if the traps are well defined and indented into the helmet. Mine are indented but not very deep and not very well defined. 
YNl91AN.jpg

ExxeaOH.jpg
mNly16M.jpg

qiMew6r.jpg
NLjQu3U.jpg

I know it’s a bit hard to tell due to the shininess but they definitely are not very well defined. My question being is this just how some helmet molds are or is this a bad pull? 
Thanks for any information! 

I’ve been very roughly trimming the flashing off the pieces, and I’m preparing to tackle the return edges. I have all the arm and leg pieces roughed out.

As advised I’m starting with the biceps. I’ve been going through @justjoseph63 return edges 101. 

How are these looking when it comes to return edges? 
Y18zWda.jpg

hsJWMKD.jpg
Khm1Uvw.jpg

FWIVsX4.jpg

(on a side note I can’t wait till my lager cutting mat gets here:laugh1:)

I just want to make sure I’m on the right path before cutting, the return edges in that little “box” like area get removed as well correct? (Basically following that pencil line)

NdZCzXb.jpg

I’ve been following Trooperbay’s videos on his site as a guide. He seems to be more in favor of leaving about an 1/8 of an inch of return edges on the armor he’s making in the video, which obviously for the most part I won’t be doing, and he’s also making a sandy but for the most part I think I’m pretty safe using it as a guide. Has anyone more experienced then me watched those videos? And if so is there anything I should watch for? 

That’s all I have for tonight. Hopefully I get those and the forearms knocked out tomorrow after work! 

• Like 1

GREAT job on the bicep trimming, Echota!  I don't think you need to trim out the "hump" area as shown.  That may be necessary for the shoulder bells (depending on how close they fit to the outside of the biceps) and definitely the wrist opening of the forearms.  For now, just a bit more off the edges (not necessary, though), sand it down smooth and you are golden!

cefmh55.jpg

Alright I believe I have all the return edges off the arms where it’s needed. 

I left the hump, but other then that the edges are gone. 

IaMiuW2.jpg

For my forearms I removed all the edges around the wrist opening. 
YKlEQ5n.jpg
As well as around the inside of the arm. 

iTZPkST.jpg

however I did leave a small amount of edge around the outside upper section. As far as I see there’s no issue with that being there all the way up to Centurion? 

lI4u1br.jpg

On to what I’m embarrassed about, while trimming with the dremel blade it slipped and nicked the outside. 
NvfhTIx.jpg

it’s only about a 1/8 of an inch long, and I don’t t think it’s actually a problem,(someone please correct me if I’m wrong) but it’s embarrassing :blush: 

If I’m not wrong the next step on the arms is to assemble the biceps...

Everything looks great, and level 3 approvable. I think you’ll find that most of us will have been subject to slight slip-ups by the time our builds are complete, so that knick is definitely not a problem. Consider it battle-damage. Your armor will be subject to much worse once you’re out trooping in it.

Hey everyone! I have got all my arm pieces trimmed and dry fit and I’ve got a question or two before I move on. 

Here’s where I’m at now

The forearm:

no return edges on either side. 
LAQEJwp.jpg

and here’s it on my arm with my gloves. No big gap so I’m happy with that. 

WZLrDdf.jpg
ocokx6N.jpg

The biceps.

aKdmn60.jpg
My question with this they seem to chafe on the inside of my arm when I reach back slightly. In the return edge 101 thread it’s suggested to trim along that pencil line (it’s faint but it’s there). Before I trim anything I just want to make sure I’m reading it correctly. 

Lastly I know this picture is useless when it come to deciding size or spacing but 10 year old me would have loved it 

WOUuYnG.jpg
but this leads me to my last question, I should probably go ahead and get an under suit soon because I’ll need that to actually fit the armor correct? Does anyone have a under suit they love? 

Thanks for reading! And if you see anything that I should fix before I start to glue stuff let me know!

12 hours ago, Matchstick said:

My question with this they seem to chafe on the inside of my arm when I reach back slightly. In the return edge 101 thread it’s suggested to trim along that pencil line (it’s faint but it’s there). Before I trim anything I just want to make sure I’m reading it correctly. 

looking good mate!!  

As suggested in the 101 thread, you are right, and this will avoid the chafe when moving. 

0UfZzx2.jpg                   

About the inner clothes,for you to have an idea, what I have seen in the forum is the following recommendations :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HXPKQDK/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A2Q6XV9HQ2RH17&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ML2YRPF/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=A2Q6XV9HQ2RH17&psc=1

Cheers :salute:

14 hours ago, TKSpartan said:

looking good mate!!  

As suggested in the 101 thread, you are right, and this will avoid the chafe when moving. 

0UfZzx2.jpg                   

About the inner clothes,for you to have an idea, what I have seen in the forum is the following recommendations :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HXPKQDK/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A2Q6XV9HQ2RH17&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ML2YRPF/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=A2Q6XV9HQ2RH17&psc=1

Cheers :salute:

I second the links on the body suits. I purchased these same ones the other day and had them in hand quickly. I ordered a size bigger so there wouldn’t be too much stretch but still a comfortable fit. I read that if they are too tight, they won’t be as dark due to the stretch. When I tried them on, they fit great and were very comfortable.

Hey everyone! I’m in need of some help. I’m at the point of trimming and fitting up my shins and up until this point I thought I understood which was right and which was left but I’m not so sure anymore. Could you guys look it over and see if I’m right or wrong?  

I have these set up as if I was wearing them.

R6wfVhd.jpg
Ew6Cbmy.jpg
SAP2IRS.jpg
Hopefully there’s enough contrast to see the detail.
I can get rid of that big gap in the back of the left shin by holding it together but that’s how it rests naturally for some reason. Also what size cover strip do you recommend? Because I followed what trooperbay recommendation in his video and they are pretty snug on me now, I might have to use a larger cover strip in the back.
Overall I’m pretty confused and I’m really hoping I haven’t messed anything up:wacko:

In other, better, news my 2 piece body glove came in today, I got the exact kind recommend so thanks to those of you who recommended those to me:) (makes me wish I was a bit more fit however lol they do tend to show everything) 
I also got my neck seal from DarmansProps on Etsy and it fits perfectly. 

29 minutes ago, Matchstick said:

I can get rid of that big gap in the back of the left shin by holding it together but that’s how it rests naturally for some reason. Also what size cover strip do you recommend? Because I followed what trooperbay recommendation in his video and they are pretty snug on me now, I might have to use a larger cover strip in the back.
Overall I’m pretty confused and I’m really hoping I haven’t messed anything up

Hi, do you have a photo of the shins you wearing them?  front and back , What I would like to see is how the fit.

Thanks

24 minutes ago, Matchstick said:

its not perfect, the tape wasn’t wanting to hold well but I think it’s pretty obvious that they are to tight...which it weird because I don’t think I’ve got overly large calves.

At this Stage (painter's tape stage), they looks good, probably you 'll need to use wider cover strips in the back, they are ususally 20 cms in the front and 25 cms in the back (you could increase back to 30 cms)  but I would think in this issue later.

I would suggest not to trim more and let the back cover strips till de final.  continue with the great work on your armor. 

:salute:

Thank you @TKSpartan! I’m glad you think I can just use larger cover strips, I was pretty worried I’d trimmed too much off. I’ll have to be more careful when trimming my thighs. 

I am removing all return edges from the top of the thighs but Is it recommended that the return edges on the bottom of the thighs be removed? Would that help with how the knees sit? 

Edited by Matchstick
Spelling

Alright I seem to be having some major issues when it comes to my thighs.

Currently I have the standard 23mm cover strip in the front. 
NGhwb2J.jpg

my issue comes when I try to put it on. I end up with a huge gap in the back of the thigh. 
EnSKpjl.jpg

and even with that large gap I still don’t think the thighs are high enough up. 
RPsS6z3.jpg

qrgGXtt.jpg
What do you guys all think? I’m at a loss other then making the back strips huge. Is there a particular thread I should be looking at? Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

I think you're right about the thighs coming up a little bit more. Have you tried also spacing the two thigh pieces a bit at the front, beneath your front cover strip? The two edges don't necessarily need to be touching, especially if you add a wider inner cover strip to span the gap. I thought @justjoseph63 had a thread and illustrations about this, but I can't locate it at this time. However, here's one that is also very good for something like what you're needing. Hope it helps!

Thank you! I’ll take a look at that thread. And yes at this point I’m thinking a larger cover strip in the front would help, I just don’t want to go to big and make it look weird. I’ll have to start experimenting with different sizes. 
thanks again for the help!

And yes at this point I’m thinking a larger cover strip in the front would help, I just don’t want to go to big and make it look weird. I’ll have to start experimenting with different sizes.

Totally understand about the front outer cover strip. What you could first try is keeping the standard front outer strip, but use a wider INNER (touching your actual leg) cover strip. That way you could main some mm space by not having the two though piece edges actually touch each other. The purpose of having an inner cover strip in this situation would be to provide a proper surface for adhesion. Here’s a really rough illustration.a1a50c22deb3fd44fa83316c86d245fe.jpg&key=0e7f09dcea34e73bfe390a6ce1bcfced5a8cdfd2b442d177d5e9199f341cda9b

• Like 1

At the end of the day the public don't normally see the back of troopers, more the front so I would stick with a standard sized front and larger back. But I would also suggest talking with your GML (garrison membership liaison) as they may like a consistent matching appearance, always pays to check as they will be the ones approving you ;) 

I’ve been meaning to get ahold of my GML, I’ll have to figure that out here soon. 

In the mean time I mocked up what a couple of you were suggesting with my current cover strips. 
LYr33gd.jpg

as you can see it widens at the top,  (I have a 1 inch cover strip at the back) I have no idea if that would be acceptable and honestly something in me doesn’t like it...
However it does allow the thighs to come up higher. 
ygMNYvr.jpg

Thoughts on this spacing? 

On a side note, I have not been able to bend my knees at a 90 with any of these set ups because the bottoms bite into my leg. Is that a sign of them still being too low or is that just how the armor restricts movement? 
241fsoT.jpg

Inch at the back would be fine. You will find you don't get as much movement with armor on, I can't bend my knee back that far as it is. You do have an option to add cut outs as some screen troopers had them BUT I wouldn't do anything with that until trying on boots, shins, thighs and cod/ab and then check out the gaps and movement. Always easier to take off later but harder to put back on ;) 

pjpktYC.jpg

• Like 1