Hello! MTK build WIP

Hello everyone my name is Echota I’m from the Dayton area in Ohio. I’ve been lurking on the forum off and on for about 4 years now. I recently had the opportunity to purchase a set of MTK (aka trooperbay) armor. I’m on the taller side, about 6’3” but I’m not bulky so after talking with the builder, Mark, and with a few very helpful members here on the forums I came to the conclusion that I should be able to make this kit fit me. So I have a set of TK armor on the way! I’ve very excited:D

Like I said I’ve been on and off here for about 4 years but I’m trying to get back up to speed and not get overwhelmed. Mark says his armor is best considered ANH style so that’s the way I’ll be going. So I am shooting for an ANH stunt set of armor. I have a lot of questions so be prepared for that:laugh1: 

Thanks if you made it all the way through the wall of text and I can’t wait to get started!

Great to know your armor is on the way, feel free to browse the forum, We are here to help, 

Meanwhile, take a look to the get starting section. 

Cheers and look forward for your BBB Day. 

:jc_doublethumbup:

Hey guys quick question. While I’m waiting on my armor to show up I am going though Mikes videos on armor assembly on his website. While watching the video on the shins he says that some people use Velcro on the backs of the shins but that isn’t the screen accurate method and the correct method is using clips and eyelets. Since I would like to go for Expert Infantry off the bat should I plan on using the clip/eyelet method? I can’t seem to find if they are called out in the CRLs for level 2. I am just trying to get a list together of the stuff I need.
Thank you!

29 minutes ago, Matchstick said:

Hey guys quick question. While I’m waiting on my armor to show up I am going though Mikes videos on armor assembly on his website. While watching the video on the shins he says that some people use Velcro on the backs of the shins but that isn’t the screen accurate method and the correct method is using clips and eyelets. Since I would like to go for Expert Infantry off the bat should I plan on using the clip/eyelet method? I can’t seem to find if they are called out in the CRLs for level 2. I am just trying to get a list together of the stuff I need.
Thank you!

Hi future trooper, the velcro on the backs of shins is aceptable for all levels, you can browse the EIB and Centurion request sections.

For the stuff you're going to need , the following section can be useful.

Cheers  :salute:

• Like 1

Either method is acceptable for each level, some even use magnets.

received_10206248369390998.thumb.jpg.112dd48fb8a71f4da4d99a6241baa2cf.jpghttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/ukswrath1/Anovos%20classic%20TK/Strapping/Calves/gallery_12157_16_3668.jpgq5iSLxt.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021
  • Like 1

I used velcro on my armor but only for comfort when putting it on, I'm close to half a century, and it's hard to bend down:laugh1:.

But if you want the highest screen accurate level the correct method is using clips and eyelets.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

While I wait for armor and slowly gather material I’ve come across Imperial Boots as what everyone seems to recommend for TK boots. Their shop opens this week and I’m planning on getting on their order list. I believe it’s recommended to order a size up and get some gel inserts, is that correct? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matchstick said:

While I wait for armor and slowly gather material I’ve come across Imperial Boots as what everyone seems to recommend for TK boots. Their shop opens this week and I’m planning on getting on their order list. I believe it’s recommended to order a size up and get some gel inserts, is that correct? 

Yes, this is what most people usually recommend.  Good Luck :salute:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Matchstick said:

They can be a little narrow, I went 1/2 a size up and they fitted great but most seem to go 1 full size.

I actually have pretty narrow feet myself, and still opted to go a full size up from a US 11 to a 12. I figured I can always wear extra socks, particularly for colder outdoor events. The extra space could also accommodate extra insoles. Here's a link to my unboxing of the 421s, in case you're interested in seeing close-up photos.

9 minutes ago, MaskedVengeance said:

I actually have pretty narrow feet myself, and still opted to go a full size up from a US 11 to a 12. I figured I can always wear extra socks, particularly for colder outdoor events. The extra space could also accommodate extra insoles. Here's a link to my unboxing of the 421s, in case you're interested in seeing close-up photos.

I’m going through your build thread now, it’s incredibly helpful!

I see you talking about gloves. I want to go for EIB right off the bat and possibly Centurion. I know I’ll need rubber chemical glove but from what I’m reading it seems many apply with the correct gloves but then switch to the more comfortable leather gloves for most troops. There’s nothing against that is there? Because leather gloves just sound so much more comfortable then the rubber ones. 

2 minutes ago, Matchstick said:

I want to go for EIB right off the bat and possibly Centurion. I know I’ll need rubber chemical glove but from what I’m reading it seems many apply with the correct gloves but then switch to the more comfortable leather gloves for most troops. There’s nothing against that is there? Because leather gloves just sound so much more comfortable then the rubber ones. 

I'm glad you're finding my thread helpful, Echota! There are two schools of thought in regards to TK gloves. Some folks troop in their suit in their exact approved configuration, while others may change things like the type of gloves, or throw a pauldron on their shoulder. For the most part, it's up to you what to do at troops once you're approved, unless you're at a canon event. I haven't decided what to do myself, but I do have an extra set of Joseph's flexible hand guards which I'll probably add to some nomex gloves, to at least give me the option.

• 1 month later...

Big updates! 
Today was BBB day! 
fkaG47h.jpg
It’s very exciting and I’m also feeling a bit overwhelmed, there’s so much information to take in. 

My first step i think should be to label all pieces right or left. After looking through @MaskedVengeance wonderful build thread I think I have everything labeled but I’d love to have my work checked. 

The shoulder bells: 

From what I can tell the “swoosh” should angle forward. 
jzzA3Ot.jpg

The bicep:

“Thumb print” on the right? 

71F24Vk.jpg

Lower Arm:

R6PMbuV.jpg

On to the legs.

Thighs:

vZL7FSc.jpg
Calf 

fwZj7sF.jpg

Hopefully these pictures are clear enough to determine the correct side, any help would be greatly appreciated! 

What’s everyone suggestions on what pieces to start trimming return edges? I’ve heard biceps are something good to start with. Since I’m building for EIB status I will be removing all return edges as shown in @justjoseph63 return edge 101 post. 

Thanks for reading, I can’t wait to get started! 

• Like 1

Congrats on BBB day! Definitely very exciting though also a bit overwhelming. Your Bells looks good, and I believe most other pieces, but I need to look at them more closely on a computer later. Biceps can definitely be a good starting point since much of them ends up being hidden under the bells. Onward!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H

46 minutes ago, Matchstick said:

It’s very exciting and I’m also feeling a bit overwhelmed, there’s so much information to take in. 
The bicep:

“Thumb print” on the right? 

Just don't get the best of you, mi amigo... we are here to help every step of the way.  You did the perfect thing by starting a build thread and posting photos so just keep that momentum up and ask all the questions you need to.

By the way, the bicep with the "thumbprint" should actually go on the left side.  ;)

1 minute ago, justjoseph63 said:

H

Just don't get the best of you, mi amigo... we are here to help every step of the way.  You did the perfect thing by starting a build thread and posting photos so just keep that momentum up and ask all the questions you need to.

By the way, the bicep with the "thumbprint" should actually go on the left side.  ;)

Left side, thank you! I’ll update my list. And I’ll have plenty of questions! 
I can’t stress how much of a help your thread has already been @MaskedVengeance it’s a wealth of good information. 

As an add on to my previous post I received my gloves and flexible hand guards as well as the centurion hardware kit from @justjoseph63 

SOIlDtj.jpg

I also got my boots from IB last week. I’m glad I ordered a full size up because they fit perfectly. 
jmKMoPK.jpg

• Like 3