Total Newbie from Lowcountry of South Carolina

So, after years of saying "One day I'm gonna join the 501st", I finally set myself a resolution that by the end of this year I would make that a reality. So, here I am. I'm a father of 4 daughter and professional Chef, with absolutely no costume making experience or know how. To say I am starting from the ground up wouldn't be accurate. I'm somewhere around the trash compactor.

Long story short, Hi.

Welcome aboard! Don't worry, we all have no experience at some point. Here you will get all the help you need to get where you want to go

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hi Jason, Welcome to FISD, Glad to read you're in the way of becoming a 501st Legion member and you are going to make, as all of us , a dream come true. 

Feel free to ask questions and search the forum, we have tons of info here. 

We are here to help.

If you haven't done yet, I would suggest to take a look to the following forum section:

Cheers  :salute:

We’ve all been in similar positions. I’ve got three kids and no experience when I joined and look at me now working on costume 5. Your in good hands here everyone will help along the way. Welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the FISD !! It took me a long time to leap as well. I currently hold my basic approval. There is a lot of good info and great people here !! Good Luck with your build. Hope to see some build pics when your ready!!

• Like 1

Welcome to the FISD, Jason!   Not to worry, sir, we have you covered from A to Z.  The first thing you will need to figure out is what type of TK you are interested in building (you have 16 to choose from).  After that, it's down to who you will be purchasing your armor from.  We have some fantastic threads with lots of information on where (and where NOT) to get it, so depending on the type you choose there are a lot of options to fit all body sizes.  Your best bet for the time being is to start delving into the "Getting Started..." section

There is a ton of information here, but don't let it intimidate you.  If there is a particular question you can't find an answer to all you have to do is ask and we will help.  It's what we do best!

As a fellow low-country resident (Mt. Pleasant) I may also be able to help with your build on a local level once you get to that point.  As I mentioned, we are here to help every step of the way, so never be shy about asking us anything you need (or want) to.

• Like 1

I would take him up on the offer to help^^^^^^

Welcome and great to see you future trooper! Ask questions, we are here to help!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LTM said:

I would take him up on the offer to help^^^^^^

Haha, I'll take that as a compliment, Lou. :D  (I happen to have a little experience in these matters, lol).

12 hours ago, DarthWaya said:

I'm a father of 4 daughter...

If you have survived 4 daughters, armor is not a problem for you :laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1:....

Just kidding;)... Welcome to FISD ... Here, you will find all the help you need and more...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

Welcome to the FISD, Jason!   Not to worry, sir, we have you covered from A to Z.  The first thing you will need to figure out is what type of TK you are interested in building (you have 16 to choose from).  After that, it's down to who you will be purchasing your armor from.  We have some fantastic threads with lots of information on where (and where NOT) to get it, so depending on the type you choose there are a lot of options to fit all body sizes.  Your best bet for the time being is to start delving into the "Getting Started..." section

There is a ton of information here, but don't let it intimidate you.  If there is a particular question you can't find an answer to all you have to do is ask and we will help.  It's what we do best!

As a fellow low-country resident (Mt. Pleasant) I may also be able to help with your build on a local level once you get to that point.  As I mentioned, we are here to help every step of the way, so never be shy about asking us anything you need (or want) to.

Glad to see a local. I'm out in Ladson. I'm a Sous Chef at a pretty prominent local restaurant group actually.

6 hours ago, DarthWaya said:

What is the difference between ANH Stunt and ANH Hero?

It sound like you are interested in the OT (original trilogy) trooper, which are the most popular.  I have a thread that breaks down the differences in each one of these that may help, and you can find that here.  You are only about 30 minutes from me, and once you get your kit if you feel like bringing it down I can give you a hand with your build.

• Like 1

So, thanks to a substantial bonus coming in my check tomorrow, I took the plunge and asked emailed ATA to get on the list for my kit. Will be buying lots of the other items over the next 3-4 weeks.

• Like 1

Congrats on your purchase from ATA, Jason!  You will be more than happy with that kit, I promise.  In the mean-time, I would suggest a few things:

1.  Get all your build supplies in place.  Once your kit arrives, having everything you will need in hand will be a big help.  That way, you don't have to stop in the middle to order or go out and buy something you require.  Link

2.  Order your boots-  Having these will really help when fitting your calf (lower leg armor) pieces.  Link

3.  Have your undersuit on hand-  This will help when fitting your armor.

4.  Most importantly, start your own build thread!  This will allow you to ask as many questions as you want to and post up lots of photos (we LOVE photos) of not only your build progress, but any issues you may have along the way.  We are here to help...  Link

3 minutes ago, justjoseph63 said:

Congrats on your purchase from ATA, Jason!  You will be more than happy with that kit, I promise.  In the mean-time, I would suggest a few things:

1.  Get all your build supplies in place.  Once your kit arrives, having everything you will need in hand will be a big help.  That way, you don't have to stop in the middle to order or go out and buy something you require.  Link

2.  Order your boots-  Having these will really help when fitting your calf (lower leg armor) pieces.  Link

3.  Have your undersuit on hand-  This will help when fitting your armor.

4.  Most importantly, start your own build thread!  This will allow you to ask as many questions as you want to and post up lots of photos (we LOVE photos) of not only your build progress, but any issues you may have along the way.  We are here to help...  Link

I can't overstate how helpful those threads are Joseph. I'm actually using them as my checklist and budgeting tools. I've got a cart loading up on Amazon right now as we speak with my supplies. Having trouble locating the right boots though. Wanted to use the DIY boots from the soft parts thread but can't seem to find them on Amazon. 

If I'm not mistaken the Centurion hardware set you sell has all the rivets I will need correct? Planning to order my hand guards, gloves, and that set from you actually.

The best boots you can get at this point are Imperial Boots.  They only take orders once a month (or so) but they really are awesome.  When ordering with them, though, always get a size larger that you normally wear as they run a bit small.  

As for the Centurion hardware sets, check with ATA first to see if they include them.  I do sell the flexible hand guards and rubber gloves (cheaper that anyone else) so I would be happy to help you out there.  PM me if interested!   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...