ESB Gloves and Decals Question

CN1142

Hey everyone!

I have an Anovos kit that I'm looking to convert from ANH to ESB. From some research I've done on here it seems that apart from getting a new holster, I'll have to change out the decals and repaint the frown on my Anovos Helmet. I also read that they used some kind of silk/cloth gloves with the clamshell ABS hand guards. Now I'm not sure if this is the correct subforum to ask, but I'd like to know if anyone could help me out to as to where I could possibly find some decals that would fit my Anovos helmet as well where I can find screen accurate gloves and handguards.

Here is a build converting an Anovos to ESB full of helpful info

Looking at the thread apparently trooperbay sell Anovos specific ESB decals so you could contact him to confirm

A lot of AM kits come with ESB clamshell handguards which many don't use, may be worth putting up a wanted add in the sales sections. 

You can use rubber gloves or silk/material. Gloves must be either black silk, satin, or silk-like material, or gloves must be rubber or rubber-like chemical gloves, in black

I found fabric gloves at a local store.

Diagram of the sewing pattern

ESBholes.jpg.be678dbff4d3e8aff6eac4da31848a0e.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021
  • Like 2

Hi Cesar!  To convert a set of Anovos Stunt armor to ESB should be relatively straightforward.  For Basic approval, the gloves can be rubber, Nomex. leather or "Leather-like", but for level 2 (EI) they must be made of rubber, black silk or satin (or silk like) material.  Silk or satin may be difficult to find in men's sizes, though.

The correct ESB decals can be found here

You can find the clam-shell hand guards online here

Another thing you need to think about is that for Basic 501st approval the holster is not affixed to the canvas belt, but is attached with 2 black leather loops and worn on the right side.

GxPObnG.jpg?1

On 5/6/2020 at 7:13 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

Here is a build converting an Anovos to ESB full of helpful info

Looking at the thread apparently trooperbay sell Anovos specific ESB decals so you could contact him to confirm

A lot of AM kits come with ESB clamshell handguards which many don't use, may be worth putting up a wanted add in the sales sections. 

You can use rubber gloves or silk/material. Gloves must be either black silk, satin, or silk-like material, or gloves must be rubber or rubber-like chemical gloves, in black

I found fabric gloves at a local store.

Diagram of the sewing pattern

ESBholes.jpg

On 5/6/2020 at 7:16 PM, justjoseph63 said:

Hi Cesar!  To convert a set of Anovos Stunt armor to ESB should be relatively straightforward.  For Basic approval, the gloves can be rubber, Nomex. leather or "Leather-like", but for level 2 (EI) they must be made of rubber, black silk or satin (or silk like) material.  Silk or satin may be difficult to find in men's sizes, though.

The correct ESB decals can be found here

You can find the clam-shell hand guards online here

Another thing you need to think about is that for Basic 501st approval the holster is not affixed to the canvas belt, but is attached with 2 black leather loops and worn on the right side.

GxPObnG.jpg?1

Thank you guys so much for the help and the hand guard diagram as well! Great to know that I don't have to do many alterations to my kit. I'll definitely look into trooperbay's decals and most likely post a WTB ad for the hand guards. As for the gloves, I'll try to find some kind of cloth glove. Doing a quick search shows that perhaps silk gloves aren't to good as they seem to get caught in velcro and I fear they would get caught in the belt.

For the belt I'm thinking of using my current ANH style belt and flipping everything, getting a new holster with loops, and adding some velcro to the back of the belt and the inner back of the loops so it doesn't move around and expose the rivet holes. It seems the holster sits in the same place as it would on the ANH belt just opposite. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CN1142 said:

Thank you guys so much for the help and the hand guard diagram as well! Great to know that I don't have to do many alterations to my kit. I'll definitely look into trooperbay's decals and most likely post a WTB ad for the hand guards. As for the gloves, I'll try to find some kind of cloth glove. Doing a quick search shows that perhaps silk gloves aren't to good as they seem to get caught in velcro and I fear they would get caught in the belt.

For the belt I'm thinking of using my current ANH style belt and flipping everything, getting a new holster with loops, and adding some velcro to the back of the belt and the inner back of the loops so it doesn't move around and expose the rivet holes. It seems the holster sits in the same place as it would on the ANH belt just opposite. 

I converted a RS Props ANH to  ESB and ended up just covering the rivet holes with cloth patches that matched the belt fabric. Mine was to difficult to switch around due to the snap domes on the belt and armour. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2020 at 12:11 PM, troopermaster said:

I have a pair of ESB hand guards available in the same ABS Anovos uses.

Thank you for letting me know, I’ll be sending a PM.

On 5/11/2020 at 1:48 AM, TK3373 said:

I converted a RS Props ANH to  ESB and ended up just covering the rivet holes with cloth patches that matched the belt fabric. Mine was to difficult to switch around due to the snap domes on the belt and armour. 

Yea I thought about whether that will be an issue. I’ll just have to wait and see once I begin the conversion. I think i also may have retained some fabric from my belt I had cut off.

I also have a question regarding removing paint from my helmet if you guys can help me out. Do you guys know any alternatives to the testors enamel thinner to remove paint from helmet? I’ve heard that mineral spirits seem to work too although I’m not sure? Would it be the type you could probably get at Home Depot?

Edited by CN1142
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CN1142 said:

I also have a question regarding removing paint from my helmet if you guys can help me out. Do you guys know any alternatives to the testors enamel thinner to remove paint from helmet? I’ve heard that mineral spirits seem to work too although I’m not sure? Would it be the type you could probably get at Home Depot?

You can see @joseph 's tutorial...

Yes you can use a lot of products...But ,not containing acetone. Up to a little alcohol with Cotton swabs, or a wooden toothpick, depending on the amount of paint you want to remove...

Regards...

• Like 1

I just love me an ESB stormtrooper. I am working on one now as it happens. Wow it’s been forty years since it was released at the cinema!

Im still using TK4510 decals, Mike has been supplying these for years. I am sure that you can probably get more accurate silk screen printed decals from somewhere but I am happy with Mikes for now. 

Thise snow trooper style hand plates are available from a wide range of sources. Rubber or satin material gloves long enough to remain under the forearms. And a nice leather holster pretty much round up all that’s needed for conversion. 

• Like 2

On 5/21/2020 at 9:24 AM, CN1142 said:

Thank you for letting me know, I’ll be sending a PM.

Yea I thought about whether that will be an issue. I’ll just have to wait and see once I begin the conversion. I think i also may have retained some fabric from my belt I had cut off.

I used isopropal alcohol and rubbed gently. Some parts is scraped with a blade to get rid of stubborn paint.  :)

On 5/20/2020 at 5:24 PM, CN1142 said:

I would use Goo-Gone, which is a citrus based solvent and will not damage your armor.  It will dissolve latex and enamel paint as well as adhesive residue.  Runs about 3 bucks for a 2 ounce bottle at Home Depot, Lowe's and the like.  (Found in the Paint dept.)

ZAOA3Ae.jpg?1

• Like 1