E6000 original vs fake

Sn4k3

9 hours ago, ukswrath said:

Dang never knew there were imposters :laugh1:

Oh yeah, sad to say. 

9 hours ago, Sn4k3 said:

I saw that but still, I'm not entirely sure if the e6000 i see now are fake or not

The genuine product is clearly marked Made in the USA, and has a batch number on each tube (see photo below).  They do not sell to distributors in Asia, so if you order it from a seller based there it is not the real stuff. If you have any doubts, you can contact the manufacturer at www.eclecticproducts.com, and they will let you know where to get it.  The fake stuff is garbage,

fK2i17J.jpg

The genuine product is clearly marked Made in the USA, and has a batch number on each tube (see photo below).  They do not sell to distributors in Asia, so if you order it from a seller based there it is not the real stuff. If you have any doubts, you can contact the manufacturer at www.eclecticproducts.com, and they will let you know where to get it.  The fake stuff is garbage,

fK2i17J.jpg&key=3c93dd4a15db48fc97d17a7f93d78138d4473e6440a63c1617cceed030ed052e

Thanks Joseph, i was using the e6000 plus, but it does not glue things too well, for a moment i thought i got a fake, but maybe is just that version is not as effective as the classic e60004ce6a9c4cda95f0bd392b4b9e72ab21c.jpg

Sent from my GM1900 using Tapatalk

I think there are export issues due to some of the chemicals in them.  I believe that there is an alternative formula that is probably still known by the state of California to cause cancer but doesn’t have what ever that chemical is. Probably the one that makes it good.

Suppliers wise I know RWA stock it so might be worth approaching them. 

OK Daniel, I think I know what went wrong.   This issue really piqued my interest, so I actually spoke to a chemist at Eclectic products as well as the person who is in charge of packaging design there and got some really interesting information.  The product you show in the photo is legitimate, but as Chris mentioned there is an export issue.  Unlike Asia, Australia and most other countries, the EU does not allow solvent based products such as regular E-6000 to be imported, so they came up with E-6000 Plus.  It is actually is a completely different technology/formulation and is solvent free, but I was told it should work fine on ABS with no issues if used correctly.

BUT, with it's unique properties it does not cure at the same rate as regular E-6000.  To use it effectively, you will need to look at the technical data (2 pages, a quick read) from Eclectic products located here.

Side note:  All the people I spoke to at Eclectic products are well aware that we love their product!

• Like 2

I think there are export issues due to some of the chemicals in them.  I believe that there is an alternative formula that is probably still known by the state of California to cause cancer but doesn’t have what ever that chemical is. Probably the one that makes it good.

Suppliers wise I know RWA stock it so might be worth approaching them. 
Do you have a direct link to this RWA guys?

OK Daniel, I think I know what went wrong.   This issue really piqued my interest, so I actually spoke to a chemist at Eclectic products as well as the person who is in charge of packaging design there and got some really interesting information.  The product you show in the photo is legitimate, but as Chris mentioned there is an export issue.  Unlike Asia, Australia and most other countries, the EU does not allow solvent based products such as regular E-6000 to be imported, so they came up with E-6000 Plus.  It is actually is a completely different technology/formulation and is solvent free, but I was told it should work fine on ABS with no issues if used correctly.

BUT, with it's unique properties it does not cure at the same rate as regular E-6000.  To use it effectively, you will need to look at the technical data (2 pages, a quick read) from Eclectic products located here.

Side note:  All the people I spoke to at Eclectic products are well aware that we love their product!

I see... The thing is, it seems like this e6000 plus does not endure effectively the tension of some pieces and they get separated.

Anyway, i will read the pdf and see what can work around the issue334f69dd8673f47fcbc3f88b733c3ac2.jpg

Ok, I've read the document, it says that it is touch cured on about 25 mins, but in my experience is a bit less, even when the glue takes 3 full days to reach it full adhesion power you need to be fast to apply the glue and stick the pieces, and then 3 days of wait.

I'm gonna need way more additional magnets

• Like 1

To be fair sounds like E6000 classic. You really need to clamp it for the full 24 hours or it will just pull apart while the glue dries. Once dry it is pretty solid though. 
Three days all clamped, i guess that what i need to do with this glue

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sn4k3 said:

Do you have a direct link to this RWA guys?

You'll find RWA Creations on facebook 

• Like 1

Thanks Joseph, i was using the e6000 plus, but it does not glue things too well, for a moment i thought i got a fake, but maybe is just that version is not as effective as the classic e60004ce6a9c4cda95f0bd392b4b9e72ab21c.jpg&key=e605fa1cf8938bfa87b4a77a2ec1b6e8795beceabbaca45524995f441d7f9d5d

The 'E6000 plus' is completely different, it is a 'general adhesive', the E6000 commonly used on armour is 'industrial strength'.
Someone gave me a tube of the plus once, as soon as I opened it I knew there was something different as it didn't have the strong smell, it does say 'odor free' on the packaging but I thought I better do a bench test piece before committing to using it on a prop.
I glued two pieces of scrap ABS with 'plus' and left it 3 days to cure.
When I came back I tried pulling the two pieces apart, they came apart easily.
I would not use the plus on armour.

Once when I was working on a project I had run out of E6000, I happened to have a tube of 'shoe goo' original in the studio, it smelled the same as E6000 and was also an industrial adhesive, I used it and it worked great

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The 'E6000 plus' is completely different, it is a 'general adhesive', the E6000 commonly used on armour is 'industrial strength'.
Someone gave me a tube of the plus once, as soon as I opened it I knew there was something different as it didn't have the strong smell, it does say 'odor free' on the packaging but I thought I better do a bench test piece before committing to using it on a prop.
I glued two pieces of scrap ABS with 'plus' and left it 3 days to cure.
When I came back I tried pulling the two pieces apart, they came apart easily.
I would not use the plus on armour.

Once when I was working on a project I had run out of E6000, I happened to have a tube of 'shoe goo' original in the studio, it smelled the same as E6000 and was also an industrial adhesive, I used it and it worked great

Your answer helps me, thanks for posting

Can you gave me a link to the seller you buy your e6000?

Haven't got any in ages as I stocked up a few years ago from a supplier on eBay, I don't think they operate now but most of my fellow troopers use RWA now, I will send you a pm

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sn4k3 said:

Amazon, Hobby shops, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc ;)

• 2 years later...
On 5/6/2020 at 5:50 PM, justjoseph63 said:

[...] This issue really piqued my interest, so I actually spoke to a chemist at Eclectic products as well as the person who is in charge of packaging design there and got some really interesting information.  The product you show in the photo is legitimate, but as Chris mentioned there is an export issue.  Unlike Asia, Australia and most other countries, the EU does not allow solvent based products such as regular E-6000 to be imported, so they came up with E-6000 Plus.  It is actually is a completely different technology/formulation and is solvent free, but I was told it should work fine on ABS with no issues if used correctly.

I hope nobody minds me reviving this thread (though I suppose it's always good to remind builders about illegitimate products), but Joseph, your two-year old comment just made my day. The fact that you talked with a company chemist and package designer, and that they're aware of this community's use of E-6000.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MaskedVengeance said:

"....(though I suppose it's always good to remind builders about illegitimate products)...

I have commented on threads that are MUCH older, lol.  It never hurts to keep people aware of issues like this!  :jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 1