Tico's RS Props build

ticopowell

Ok, for the shape I just found, let me know what you think.

I taped it so it wasn't round anymore

49876725131_46dff60d9e_b.jpg

Then I held the shoulder bell up to it.

49876726286_20083642dc_b.jpg

Not bad!  Then I realized that if I angle the bell on the mold it looks even better. 

49876733956_1f40b8c784_b.jpg

Here is the short one, There is a small dent in the back, not sure if you can see it in the photo. I wonder if this one was just a bad pull, I might message RS and ask if it looks normal to them. 

49876731536_c208e1a350_b.jpg

So it's shorter, it's misshapen, and it's dented... Guess Ill see how well the bath improves it, and if not Ill look at getting a replacement part. 

Any thoughts on these?

27 minutes ago, ticopowell said:

Any thoughts on these?

Hi Caleb, working with plastic material is usually stressing and frustrating . I think that something that could help to keep the shape on your shoulder bells is when you make the strapping Shoulder Bell to Biceps connection. Original armors were not perfect or 100% simetrical and finished. Those imperfections made the OT armor what they are and how they look.

NHISDqn.jpg

There is not recipe to  solve the building problems and there's always a good creativity dosis as the way  your wife suggested to solve the bell molding . I'm not the best guy to give solutions but usually try to share what I did o how I could try to solve. (My english is not so good to be clear and this is an obstacle ) . In your case, before any cutting ,  I would finish the Shoulder strapping, Bell to Bicep connection and see de result.

Hope this can give you some idea on what to do. 

Cheers  :jc_doublethumbup:

Si necessita hablar en espanol (english keyboard, so no accents..) esta bien conmigo. :D

That is a great idea, but my worry about attaching straps is if I need to trim more off I'd rather not have to attach them, then detach, trim, reattach, still doesn't fit, detach, trim, reattach. But if might be worth it. Results are what we need, the process doesn't matter if it looks correct right? :D

8 minutes ago, ticopowell said:

That is a great idea, but my worry about attaching straps is if I need to trim more off I'd rather not have to attach them, then detach, trim, reattach, still doesn't fit, detach, trim, reattach. But if might be worth it. Results are what we need, the process doesn't matter if it looks correct right? :D

Exactly , and, why don't you try using blue painters tape instead of elastic to connect the bell to the biceps just to se how the shape goes on?   :unsure:

• Like 1

Thigh ammo belt install.

I marked the dots for the rivets. They are both 1.5cm from the back edge and that keeps the ammo belt nice and tight without stretching any plastic :)

49879358507_b7f6bf3945_b.jpg

49879358497_e4ec2ec661_b.jpg

Now I just need to drill a few holes and pound some rivets and it will be complete. (except the strap to hold it up of course)

I'm fitting the back of the shins, and the right side looks easy enough, but the left looks funky to me. 

49879608997_e718a61fe5_b.jpg

49879299556_4c8cb83cdd_b.jpg

I know the back cover strip doesn't have to be perfectly vertical, but I feel like the left will be tough to get it close. there is a bit of extra plastic so I could cut it to make it mostly vertical. But then the cover strip would be sitting off on the left side of the back of the calf and I think that would look funny. 

49879633192_1e599084cf_b.jpg

So either that, or I have it angled up the back. 

49878799273_03bfbaf3ea_b.jpg

Thoughts? The angled doesn't look horrible, but it doesn't look great. 

Looking at the single head(?) rivets I have from RS. The package says they are tube rivets for the ammo belt to canvas mounting. I have 8 short, 8 long, and 8 washers, Which should I use for the thigh mounting?

49879268303_78d686514a_b.jpg

49879799126_8c87c476c8_b.jpg

The only other rivets I have are 9 split rivets. 1 for the cod, 6 for the kidney straps, and 2 spares? or maybe for the other side of the kidney/ab plates but it only came with 3 straps, so either cut one in half and use it twice or use the excess strap from the torso connections... not a big deal either way. 

So 3 split rivets for the belt, 2 for the thigh, that leaves 3 left over, maybe 2 for the holster and a spare?

I have chicago screws for the holster attachment, and I could use them for the belt too If I wanted them to be separable. I think I have everything I need rivet wise. How does everyone connect the ab to kidney on the  right side? I know the left is the 6 split rivets, but the right seems to be a "do what you want" situation. The RS armor reference pics show one snap on an elastic strap at the top of the ab/kidney, is that enough? would you recommend 2? one on top and bottom? both need to be hidden, but I imagine that we don the armor from the right so we'd want snaps of some sort there. 

Thanks again for all the responses. 

You need 7 single cap/tubular rivets so they will have sent 1 spare. 3 for the plastic ammo belt to canvas, 2 for the thigh ammo strap and 2 for the drop boxes (1 each). No washers were used on the original armour.
Oh yeah, drop boxes. Thanks!

Speaking of drop boxes....

49880551073_bbebc96b50_b.jpg

49880551038_4d5555aba0_b.jpg

They are sanded down to size. Next Ill need the belt ready so I can attach them to the elastic straps at the right spot. 

I did start the forearm to bicep glueing. I decided to do one half of the elastic at once, I figure I will have a lesser chance of making mistakes if I do it one part at a time. I just used some good old E6000 to glue them, and the tube I opened when I started this is almost empty. Good thing I have extras on hand :D

• Like 1

Another question I haven't really seen mentioned yet. What's the length you used on the cod to posterior strap? I'm assuming that longer isn't necessarily better for looks, but for comfort I'd rather have it longer for obvious reasons. Any tips on that?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ticopowell said:

Another question I haven't really seen mentioned yet. What's the length you used on the cod to posterior strap? I'm assuming that longer isn't necessarily better for looks, but for comfort I'd rather have it longer for obvious reasons. Any tips on that?

Hi Caleb, as far as I know this is up to the builder for comfort and personal option. :salute:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ticopowell said:

I figured as much, any recommendations?

In my case,  the total length for the elastic  (blue line ), is about 11-

cms ,  I'm 5.84 ' and middle body frame . I attached the split rivet with elastic first and then take de measure to place the male snaps.

WEYmM7v.jpg3XlasxG.jpg

Edited by TKSpartan
add info
  • Like 1

not sure what you mean by 5.84 on height. 5.84 feet? so about 5' 10" :)

Either way pretty close to me so that's a helpful measurement. about 4 3/8"ish for those that haven't converted 11 cm.

I hope this works, I'm pushing from my phone. The wifey is using the computer at the moment.

Belt is now partially compete. What do you think?

49885297002_2a2ee30754_b.jpg

Here it is while wearing it.

49884459933_0461b1e396_b.jpg

I used these Chicago screws to mount the belt to the canvas. They are a little long, so I think Ill try sanding them down a little bit. 

49884241848_6cfb6ba3fa_b.jpg

I got the right thigh ammo box attached.

49885314727_95801e907c_b.jpg

49885005571_9de878cf0e_b.jpg

49884481978_66e6f498c6_b.jpg

49884482698_f75d9c96f9_b.jpg

49884482513_e0da4846d0_b.jpg

Well, that's it for now

Any advice on the shin rear cover strip placement? I still haven't finished that one.

Edited by ticopowell
fixing pictures

I think they could be the photostream links, here is using the direct link to the belt image

49885297002_2a2ee30754_b.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 11:17 AM, ticopowell said:

Thoughts? The angled doesn't look horrible, but it doesn't look great. 

I had a similar problem with an anovos Shin, what I did is to  apply hot bath and bend the pieces a little so the get a better shape., hope this can give you and idea of what to do. 

Cheers :salute:

• Like 1

Well, I guess it's been 2 days since I've updated the build. I've done a few things armor related, but not much. I fried a hard drive (new power supply, old power cable, they weren't wired the same....... guess I'm getting a new hard drive :( ), went to a sunflower farm, and helped my wife sew a few more face masks for friends ($1.50 each if anyone needs a mask. pm please), and Ive been working hard at printing a clanker head for a few clones in the squad. 

Back to TK stuff :D

The thighs are done except straps. I'm debating on how to strap them, and how high to put them. The kit came with 2 3x16" elastic pieces for the thighs, seems like a lot but I wouldn't know. I'm thinking of either sewing loops in the end, or using velcro to attach them to the provided nylon belt. Once I get the torso finished I can get the length figured out on those. 

I haven't paid too much attention to this specific point, but what kind of belt do most people use to hold the thighs up? 

I have the biceps and forearms glued together, I don't have the shoulder bells fixed yet, I was waiting for everything else to be ready to size. I think Ill use magnets or tape to make sure they are 100% in the right spot before cutting or shaping any more. 

The shins are still in the same spot, I haven't looked at them since the pictures I took. I'm not sure if a hot water bath will help or not but Ill look into it for sure. 

I haven't gotten the holster yet, I just need to go pick it up. 

I did poke holes in the belt and semi-attach it as you can see above. It fits to the armor, but I think the chicago screws are a bit long so I plan on sanding those down on the belt sander by maybe 1/8th of an inch. about 3mm for @TKSpartan :D. I want them tight so the belt doesn't sag. The positioning looks good to me. 

I think Ill remove a tiny bit of return edge on the large button panel to make it match a little better, but I'm waiting to glue that until I get the shims done. 

Haven't touched the helmet, hopefully I can start that this week sometime. I talked a little to @Jeklynhyde about her helmet and she took some good pictures on her trim lines. I'm definitely studying the RS helmet pictures and whatever else I can look at to get a bit more confidence in the helmet trim. I don't want it perfect, but I do want it correct. 

For the belt boxes I plan on using chicago screws, Ill E6000 the inside one so it stays put just in case my elastic sags over time. 

Well, that's it for now. sorry, no pictures to post at the moment unless you want to see my ugly mug or my magnet collection again haha

• Like 1

oh and based on Jeklynhyde's hardware post, I need 4 screws instead of the 2 rivets that were provided with my helmet kit. I have a bunch of M3 bolts and nylock nuts hanging around so I plan on using those to hold the front and rear helmet pieces together. I know they aren't screen accurate, but they are under the ears so I'm not worried about that. 

About the belt, I use a normal nylon one. I bought on Amazon a kit to make 10 belts:laugh1:, the kind that you cut to the size you want ... But you can use any belt that is comfortable for you... 

• Like 1