themaninthesuitcase 3D printed TLJ build

Took an around hour to glue some of the parts together this afternoon.

QeXlQl6.jpg

The butt plate is fully built now.  Bit worried about this for the same reason as my abdomen, I have hips.  Hopefully it will be okay.

KD7YPMd.jpg

Cod is done too.  This isn't the one from CG Traders but a more accurate TLJ style one my friend provided.  Think I'm okay sizing wise but may need a tweak closer once I can get more suited up.

1MCZwDJ.jpg

Made a start building up the chest plate.  Minor miss-alignment on the part I fixed.  I may have miss shaped it a tiny bit when I was making the changes.  Nothing that can't be filled though.

3H7iUNu.jpg

Also started on the helmet dome.  Again 1 small miss alignment, right most part is a shade high in the centre of dome.  I've filed off some of this to even the levels but I daren't take any more off.  The rest will be handled with filler.  I just need to take care to align the rest of the dome with a shade more care.  This is the big problem with using super glue, you get a few seconds to see any errors before it's forever.

None of this has been welded on the back yet.  I will do this before I start on the filler work to help with strength.  I may also fibreglass some parts, certainly the broken abdomen plate, but maybe others.

I'm not overly worried about the filler work, none of it is any worse than what I have seen a Jimiroqui kit need.

• Like 4

Thanks guys, not sure I would call it epic. Still too much room for a disaster!

Traditionally my printer sits on my desk in the lounge, and I only print when I am home to be able to keep an eye on things.  With lockdown I moved the printer into the conservatory as it meant we could use the lounge for home schooling the girls, but meant I could print every day.  We did order a new table to move it again into the spare room but this was requisitioned for homeschool.  At the moment I'm not sure when this move will happen as I either need a new table or the girls to no longer need it.

This means the printer is in the conservatory, which hit 45-50ºC for a couple of days this week!  In order to make sure I didn't damage the printer I stopped printing and hid the printer under the table for a few days.  It's cooled down again today so I was able to start printing again. I lost some time as I needed to recalibrate the printer due to having to move it.

I have been working through the helmet at the moment.  A few things are making me nervous but if I at least get a helmet out of it I got somewhere.

Today I printed a bit I've been excited for but like a lot of this 'kit' will prove to be a pain.

mRkaJVG.jpg

Essentially the vocoder doesn't fit.  Some of this model is designed to be printed at once as the parts overlap, and apparently this is one of them.

I am hoping that I'll be able to file the back edge of the vocoder to shape and it will fit in.  I just need to look at some reference to get the orientation correct before I start marking the bit that needs to be removed.  Once I can make it fit I'll be able to mount it and figure out a way to mount it.

• Like 1

I had an idea to resolve my vocoder issue whilst making lunch.

So I went back to my meshmixer file, because you always keep your working files, and duplicated both the vocoder and the helmet part (#8 if you care).

Always work with a copy of objects as this app uses destructive edits, like photoshop, so you will end up with helmet-final-final-no-really-final2.mix if you create copies of the files.  By keeping copies of the objects as you work it's only 1 file but it can get a bit tricky to manage in meshmixer.

First job, enlarge the vocoder.  Painting will take up space so I need to account for this ahead of time.  Measuring the vocoder my now traditional 5% gives me 1mm to play with, factor in the resin shrinks a bit so after paint I should be okay.

Next I subtract the new larger Vocoder from the helmet section.  What this means is: anywhere the 2 parts overlap, remove it from the helmet.  If this looks awful I can also try the reverse, and cut the vocoder down to fit the space in the helmet.  This would not be a bad idea as it would then key in, but I prefer the first method.

You can see the result here, sorry about the weird colours I don't know how to turn those off.  I now have a slightly oversized channel in the part that the vocoder *should* fit into.  I'll be printing the new part tomorrow.  There's a few odd artefacts from the operation due to how meshmixer does this, other apps might do it better but I know how to do it here. However they are pretty small and I can probably sand/scrape them out later if needed.

• Like 2

Why print something twice when you can print it three times!

The change to the helmet part reminded me of the TD issue I had.  So I've done the same thing, and also worked out how to get a bit of a better result at the expense a really slow progress bar.

pQt20JN.jpg

The results is still not perfect, you can see where there's some artefacts caused by Meshmixer reducing the mesh after the cut, you get to watch the progress bar of it ruining your part :6:.  I wish it wouldn't but I don't know how to turn it off.

a250p4z.jpg

Also it would seem luck is on my side, maybe, need to print the part and check first.

y9QareQ.jpg

This is some standard UK guttering down pipe.  You might remember it from such uses as the Shoretrooper Pringle cans, and OTTK TDs. And its about 1mm smaller than the hole *should* be, aka perfect.  Obviously I need to actually hold parts and try it first.

Yesterday I printed the tube stripe sections of the helmet.  I was a bit nervous of these but due to cutting the helmet up to account for them I was able to orient it so they came out super clean.

o5ugckr.jpg

I also got all premature and got out the airbrush.  The fit test got me all excited so I've started prepping them for a metal paint look.  First job some gloss black primer.

bWy04MB.jpg

You can still see some of the tiny DLP layer lines in a few places and some grit that only appeared when painted, after they were air dusted and brushed down before painting :duimomlaag:  However no ones going to be sticking the face as close as I do to them so I doubt you'll see them.  Next stage will be some Alclad High gloss black then some Alcad Chrome.

8qxkwCY.jpg

I am also considering moulding and casting one of them after the high gloss stage and trying an aluminium cold cast.  And by considering, I know I will I just need to buy some silicone that's not about 18 months old.  Maybe the stuff I have will work, I might get lucky but twice in a week seems like pushing it.

oKbRpaI.jpg

• Like 4

Very great build, can’t wait to see more progress - can I ask which TLJ Cod file you used? Or have you more screenshots of it?

thank you!

On 7/5/2020 at 4:49 PM, Shimo said:

Very great build, can’t wait to see more progress - can I ask which TLJ Cod file you used? Or have you more screenshots of it?

thank you!

I'm not sure if I can share that, I'll take some more photos though when I remember.

Helmet is progressing well.

Before assembly I tested the new modified vocoder hole.  It's a good fit but a little fiddly to get in and out due to the shape.  I think the fit is good and will work great.  I need to back up the hole with some sheet at some point but I'll do that later in the process.

zoqJBG1.jpg

The bottom of the helmet was built up in subsections.  Essentially halves, working from the front backwards.

As I went I welded each seam whilst I had easy access.  Before final assembly I sanded these down to remove any sharp points and roughness.

3nhAQ7y.jpg

Once the two halves were built, then I used the flat join to the top as a reference to tape the rear into position.

ngKMTFT.jpg

I wicked in some superglue to fuse the two parts together.  Due to compound error in the other seams there was a minor twist to the helmet.  Fortunately I was able to force it out slowly gluing the chin section in 3 sections. The bottom first, then the top before finally wicking in some glue in the middle.

Again these seams were welded with a soldering iron and some spare filament.  I've refined how I do this now.  With the iron set to 400ºC I run the tip down the seam.  This starts to fuse the parts and also creates a small groove.  I then use the iron to press the filament into that groove and smooth it.  This gives a good strong seam that also doesn't stand too proud of the part.

iORapZr.jpg

Attaching the top half was a scary job.  As with the lower half, there was a small missalignement due to compound error over dozens of seams.  

I started by holding the parts together as well as I could and used masking tape inside and out to hold it as best as I could.  I started by gluing the out side most seams, one side as a time.  I had to pull the parts into place a bit but the end result was good.  This done I started in the middle at the back and works outwards wicking in glue and pressing the parts together as best I could.  As much as this is an important seam it's not the best one, bit too much glue gap filling rather than joining.  The weld will hopefully make up for this.

The welding on this seam was a real nightmare. Access was terrible and just trying to get the iron in was a striggle never mind a 2nd hand to feed in filament.

FsQoPXd.jpg

I have now started on filling the seams, with P38 and acryl, and sanding the whole helmet.  It's messy work as I keep over applying the filer.  I have now run out of 120 paper so I need to get some more.

The face plate is also printed now.  This was a worrying 13 hour print.  It's quite thin and I was worried it would be too weak, which fortunately does not seem to be the case.  Also the STL had a lot of issues with it and so had been through a lot of repair phases.  This has left lots of scaring on the surface as well.  Fortunately this will all be hidden under the nose piece (which is also printed).

6Zp8uoM.jpg

Only about 20% of this will be visible but I want to smooth it out as best as I can.  I am also toying with moulding it to make a version in impact resistant resin but I'm not sure this is needed anymore.

Just to see how it looks I taped the face plate in.  I want to do the finishing work before I glue it in permamently. 

ABTGasj.jpg

I also tried it on, because you have to don't you.  It's a shade on the large side maybe, but better than too small.  I may even be able to wear my glasses.  With some pads in I am sure it will look a little less bobble head when sat properly.

Z9fwpm0.jpg

I also got a lens for the helmet from an Esty seller.  At the moment I am not overly impressed.  It was €42 and the shape and edge finishing isn't what I was expecting.  The optics are okay not great, there is a small amount of ripple when you look around.  Size semms okay but hard to tell until things are held in place, so I've wrapped it in cling film for now to protect it and will try it again later.

7n3Suls.jpg

SgjsTDM.jpg

As I mentioned I'm out of sandpaper so I'm working on a few other things as well for now for a change of pace.  Next job for the armour will be progressing with the left arm.

• Like 1

Helmet looks great although I agree it looks a little large, be interesting to see it on the armor for size.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2020 at 4:18 PM, themaninthesuitcase said:

KD7YPMd.jpg

Cod is done too.  This isn't the one from CG Traders but a more accurate TLJ style one my friend provided.  Think I'm okay sizing wise but may need a tweak closer once I can get more suited up.

Go take a look at the latest version of the CG Traders TLJ codpiece.  I'm sure the designer is sick of hearing from me about it.  
50126154693_b5f48deca4_z.jpg50126154688_dc94fac533_o.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I went back to work mid July so time went away again.  I am working at home so I could carry on printing but I ran out of room to store parts.  Once I get some time to assemble what I have I'll get back to printing more.  

It will also give me some time to lose the lockdown weight and check stuff I have done actually fits before making more.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 3:01 PM, Cricket said:

Go take a look at the latest version of the CG Traders TLJ codpiece.  I'm sure the designer is sick of hearing from me about it.  
50126154693_b5f48deca4_z.jpg50126154688_dc94fac533_o.jpg

Oooh!  I need this!  I was originally working on a TLJ and decided to switch to TFA partially for this reason.  I eventually want to get back to TLJ later on.  How does one go about getting this?

• 9 months later...

Projects not dead, just a bit slow going.

I've assembled some of the body armour but I'm not overly happy with it. I might end up re-printing it and rebuilding.  Also COVID weight.

TFMfqQIl.jpg 

Small child back armour for 70% scale.

j5gnbeAl.jpg

This is a little pinched in at the sides which is "sub optimal".  Again not overly happy with how the body sections have come out as whole so will re address these later.

I have started on the fore arms which I'm a lot happier with.  The resin printer has done some fine work on the detail parts.  I have modded the rail section to allow for a screw at the top to match the screen used props.

RZooYlRl.jpg

hABnbJtl.jpg

I wasn't happy with the shape of the holes in the raised bits so have made a small part which was cut in to replace the original one.

pssG0JPl.jpg

Not a huge difference, and you'd never notice from more than a meter away but it made me happier.

The helmet has also been in the corner staring at me being all oversized and a pain to assemble.  So I took a punt on the Hasbro black series helmet.  Clearly not clearable out of the box, but as a canvas I think it will work.  Some holes need to be filled and some holes need to be made.  When I can I'll get some isographic images and compare the helmet with the one sold at auction a year or so ago.

First impressions are:

It goes on my head which is never a given.

The strapping supplied is awful

It's rather heavy compared to what I am used to in the OT bucket

But it looks pretty decent

BN0Pl1Zl.jpg

Ag9PxwSl.jpg

• Like 1