DarthBiscuit's R1TK Build (Jimmiroquai kit)

Sanded the tear vents today, made slow progress. Nothing worth pictures...

So my kids and others in the neighborhood have been painting and hiding rocks for others to find and rehide. Here's my contribution! Not too bad, for 2 reasons: 1) I did this free-handed and I'm not much of an artist, and 2) I used no references (not the CRL or even Google!), only from memory! Hopefully my R1TK bucket turns out better lol!

AKfVwjo.jpg

• Like 2

I did more to the tears, but they're still pretty rough. My buddy gave me some 80 grit that was working pretty well.

I took a break to work on the traps and I think they're done!

a7ITRzm.jpg

jCCxhzm.jpg

Also, @justjoseph63 hooked me up and sent some black fiberglass window screen to back the frown! Thanks man!

nA86dy5.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DarthBiscuit said:

Also, @justjoseph63 hooked me up and sent some black fiberglass window screen to back the frown! Thanks man!

No problem.. glad to help!

Question: what do you guys think about brushing this paint around the inside of the bucket? The resin I lined the inside with is amber-colored and I think it'd look much nicer black.

Would I need to prime first?

I've decided against spraying Plasti Dip (due to planned use of 3M adhesives). I didn't buy any black spray paint, but can order some if that's recommended. I also thought it'd be easier to brush instead of spray, due to working inside the helmet.

VFnXWIX.jpg

So I got some more work done on the tears. After sanding it for quite a while, I'm able to fit one of my files to really get at it! Will hopefully finish up the tears tomorrow.

Next: tape off the openings and brush paint the inside black, unless anyone recommends against the paint I posted above.

Touched up the tears and they look much better!

HO0lyLF.jpg

2QghC47.jpg

Filed out the frown too and it went really well! I'm really happy with the file set I bought!

pLE7eEo.jpg

I'll probably scrutinize all of it tomorrow for any final filing before I try brush painting the inside black.

kQUuaDY.jpg

ZVFbSfm.jpg

HdYwb9J.jpg

qnE9mjF.jpg

Went over all the cutouts for the last time to get them as crisp as possible!

Threw together some scraps for a helmet stand for when I start spray painting!

Chgj7lu.jpg

5jMaJA1.jpg

Next: wait for my black acrylic paint to come in for the interior.

Edited by DarthBiscuit

Black acrylic won't be here until Tuesday!? I guess I can start with priming and sanding...

Paint booth is set up!

hVS9THs.jpg

1st coat of filler primer is applied!

pGDQLCy.jpg

I was going to wet sand to 400 now, but I ran out of free time. There's always tomorrow!

Edited by DarthBiscuit
Exterior now, interior later...
  • Like 2

Wet sanded to 400 and rinsed it off.

K701nw7.jpg

Once it was dry, I applied some Bondo glazing putty to the few pinholes in Jim's well-made bucket! I'm no surgeon with the putty, but I think it'll work out...

CWr4ixJ.jpg

Now I'm waiting the 30 minutes for it to cure, then I'll sand those spots, rinse it off again, and apply primer coat #2 once it's dry!

Looking good, adding a mist coat of black can show imperfections when sanding 

• Like 1

So I sanded the putty with 400 and it just didn't seem to do enough. I could still feel raised spots. So I sanded to 220 and it went great! Took down the putty and left the holes filled in. Washed it off, but now I need to wait for it to dry before applying primer coat #2...

IoQbj75.jpg

• Like 1

Wet sanded to 400. I like that I can distinguish between the two coats of primer since I used different colors (thanks @TheRascalKing).

A8BvmnS.jpg

Filled spots with putty, more liberally than yesterday since I now have one day of experience under my belt haha.

eoTa9F2.jpg

Tomorrow I'll sand the putty with 220. Then I'll probably have to wait until Tuesday for my black paint to show up. I think it'll be best to paint the inside before applying my last coat of primer to the exterior, in case some black runs out.

Sanded the putty to 220. I saw a few more spots so I'll fill those in later today. Pulled the tape off, since I'll have to tape the outside for interior painting.

0g2Vw7V.jpg

Wanting to make some progress today, I decided to work on the lens. Outlined what I wanted to clamped a Dremel with cutoff wheel to a worktable to act as a tablesaw. Worked great!

bWeB31H.jpg

YeTCNyC.jpg

Taped it in to get an idea and it looks great! Tried it on to make sure I cut enough out of the bridge for my nose and it's perfect!

RV2b2WB.jpg

With back light.

bzoHg16.jpg

Added some more putty. I'll sand it to 220 tomorrow and tape off the holes to prep for interior painting on Tuesday (hopefully). Then I'll tape the inside again and prime for the last time...

• Like 1

Sanded down the putty to 220.

Taped the openings from the outside. Looks weird lol.

WtFC9Yg.jpg

Here's the interior before primer.

iImCqyn.jpg

And after.

AqzmB8s.jpg

I think I'll give it until tomorrow before I sand the inside to 400. And then I'll (hopefully) brush paint some black acrylic in there!

• Like 2

My paint finally came in last night!

Naejn63.jpg

Applied the first coat. My paintbrush BARELY held together...it was the widest one in the house. I think I have a foam brush I can use for the 2nd coat tomorrow.

KeMSIMn.jpg

I am VERY HAPPY with a black interior and glad I postponed my last coat of primer so I didn't have to worry about overpaint!

• Like 2

Taped off the bottom and realized spraying will probably go best if I spray from this angle, and then hang it on  the stand!

RNQlD0R.jpg

Sprayed as evenly as I could...

pNggfP4.jpg

I noticed a few runs, so I gave it 30 minutes to dry. I then tried gently sanding with 800. It worked in a few spots, except for this one...

kH2iwvx.jpg

Should I just spray some more primer? Should I sand to 1,000 instead? Will I need to do glazing putty again? It's pretty upsetting cuz I was hoping to paint tomorrow.

Edited by DarthBiscuit

Really depends on the paint and how it dries, personally I'd leave it, totally dry it out, quick sand and see if you need more primer or glazing putty

• Like 1

I sanded that spot and primed it again. Looked decent enough. Taped off the non-white spots!

JxOghOJ.jpg

wE6fbD7.jpg

2UyvweP.jpg

SaVJpVu.jpg

Setup to start my first coat of white!

qeDMDXp.jpg

It went on CRAZY UNEVENLY. I was around one foot away and steadily moved while spraying, overlapping, starting before and ending after. There were strips of primer showing through, runs of white in some spots, just bad.

I guess tomorrow will be sanding down the clumps with 220 grit. Then I'll sand the whole thing down with 1,000 and apply a thin coat. I'll wait for it to dry before trying to go over the missed spots. Hopefully it'll go better that way.

Any better suggestions for spray paint?

Edited by DarthBiscuit