DarthBiscuit's R1TK Build (Jimmiroquai kit)

Today was somewhat disappointing... I had hoped to spray gloss white on the thighs, but my last can felt lighter than I had remembered! I had already ordered more, but they aren't expected to arrive until Thursday :blush: I setup my hanging straps and sprayed the ammo belt, so I could still get something done. This delay may push back my completion a little...

xAAuIAn.jpg

I added putty to the forearms, especially to the cover strips as they were full of holes that I had hoped wouldn't be noticeable. After some drying time, I filed out the cover strips so the putty was still malleable and didn't pop out of the holes like it might when it's completely cured.

cNcut8z.jpg

I also filled some pinholes on the trauma plate. Since I still had some time leftover from not spraying the thighs, I also sprayed satin white inside the trauma plate.

jC0tVhS.jpg

I hate running out of supplies when you are on a roll, luckily enough I have a store close by.

At least you have other work you can continue with, which is something.

• Like 1

I hate running out of supplies when you are on a roll, luckily enough I have a store close by.

At least you have other work you can continue with, which is something.

I could always try heading out to a store, but I've been so good at almost never leaving my house since March lol.

Oh yeah there's plenty more work! I still have the TD and ammo boxes that I haven't even started yet...

32 minutes ago, DarthBiscuit said:

I could always try heading out to a store, but I've been so good at almost never leaving my house since March lol.

Oh yeah there's plenty more work! I still have the TD and ammo boxes that I haven't even started yet...

A bit easier here, we only have 3 cases and they are in hotel quarantine, we haven't had community transfer for months so we have a lot more freedom compared to many other places ;) 

• Like 1

I sprayed some satin white inside the forearms. They should be the last pieces that need satin white inside! The ammo boxes, drop boxes, and TD will have gloss white inside.

J8tPdmp.jpg

I also had a little time to start adding putty to the TD but I wasn't able to finish.

Pfn7wZf.jpg

Speaking of the drop boxes, I noticed the new R1TK CRL specified that the hanging strap is 1" wide, but I think they need to be 2". I commented on the CRL Update thread and would appreciate feedback or clarification. Thanks!

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/50062-rogue-one-tk-crl-update-2020/?do=findComment&comment=701801

1 hour ago, DarthBiscuit said:

Speaking of the drop boxes, I noticed the new R1TK CRL specified that the hanging strap is 1" wide, but I think they need to be 2". I commented on the CRL Update thread and would appreciate feedback or clarification. Thanks!

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/50062-rogue-one-tk-crl-update-2020/?do=findComment&comment=701801

Added a couple of references in that thread ;)

• Like 1

I suspended the thigh armor using the Force (and fishing wire) to spray gloss white. They're going to need some touching up of imperfections, but I'm getting used to it. Remember when I thought I'd just putty, sand, spray white, and be done? Ah, to be young and naive again...

uxyqbAt.jpg

In between coats I wet sanded the forearms and trauma plate to 220. They're each ready for gloss white in a few days. I'll E6000 snaps inside the trauma plate tomorrow.

Zo2sd2w.jpg

A bit of E6000 and my trauma plate has snaps! Hopefully this stays attached well and doesn't interfere with donning and doffing my armor.

m6tRGcm.jpg

2nd attempt at gloss white on the greaves and they look amazing! Too bad they didn't turn out like this on the 1st try, but I'm happy with them now! I've adjusted my build schedule to plan for 2 coats of gloss with putty for the remaining pieces...

eKoUgO3.jpg

And then putty on the ammo boxes! I didn't bother with the rear sides as they'll be riveted to the belt.

SILVKFq.jpg

Obviously the thighs needed touching up, based on how much putty I applied!

hWMq8SB.jpg

I also wet sanded the ammo boxes to 220. They feel so delicate...I hope I don't crush them or bump into anything down the road! Once I get a 3D printer, I might look into printing these myself with a sturdy infill...

qYqlmiF.jpg

On good painting news: my 1st pass on the forearms looks great!! Maybe leaving quite a bit of primer on there helped, maybe sanding with 220 did it, I don't know! I'll check them out tomorrow, but I don't think much will need touching up!

vNX4Grv.jpg

• Like 1

A little wet sanding to 220 and the thighs are ready for another coat of gloss white!

OgmMRm9.jpg

Except, I finished my last can spraying the trauma plate. I ordered more gloss white (again!) a few days ago, but it won't be here until later this week. The thighs, greaves, and forearms used so much of the 2 cans I just got. Hopefully 2 more will be enough!

bgcXeiA.jpg

I also primed the ammo boxes: front, back, and sides of them all except the drop boxes (not the backs).

SIB3W5o.jpg

I started figuring out how I want my forearms and greaves to close, but I noticed the edges and interior had some sanded putty and fiberglass epoxy showing, so I sprayed some satin white inside. Now I have to wait a few more days before I'd be comfortable sticking velcro on there... The shins will clamshell with elastic in the front and velcro down the back.

iB0rEQS.jpg

I trimmed some elastic strips for the forearms that I'll velcro in. They'll stay completely closed and hopefully expand enough to get my hands through.

RPDHkSl.jpg

I noticed some spots around the edges of the thighs too, so I also sprayed satin white. They're ready for a final exterior coat of gloss white when it gets delivered!

nbPtZtZ.jpg

Then, of course, I wet sanded! 220 on the ammo boxes. Just a few spots that need more putty.

ycUsaUq.jpg

And 220 on the TD. I also had to file some of the grooves and ended up poking through! Jim's TD is so finely detailed it's amazing, but some spots are terribly thin. I'll putty those areas and file them again more gently.

2rILpcS.jpg

• Like 1

I had to go a little thick with putty in spots to fill the holes. Hopefully I can gently file it down tomorrow...

PF8GoTV.jpg

And just a little bit for putty filling on the ammo boxes.

a6EUNNA.jpg

I'm really looking forward to adding velcro and elastic straps to the greaves and forearms tomorrow!! I'll have to wait 1 more day before I stick stuff on the thighs though...

• Like 1

I finally got to strap my forearms and greaves!! :D

Each forearm has elastic straps velcro'd on. This is working pretty well at keeping the sides together while also giving a little stretch to don. I can slide them on, then put my gloves on, and slide them down a little to cover the wrists. The forearms rotate a little with my wrist, so I'll probably stick some foam padding near the elbow to hold them in place (but I'll wait to do a proper fitting first). I figure a small patch of velcro on my sleeves could help, but they might just rotate too. Any suggestions to stop the forearms from rotating?

yoVojBy.jpg

I used the same method on my shins, but just have a strip of hard velcro and 2 patches of soft on the calves.

Dc5XYZh.jpg

This lets me open the greaves clamshell without cracking (so far), so I can slip in my leg and press together those 2 velcro'd spots.

nb6F0Um.jpg

I ran out of time and couldn't fully don my armor :( but my gloss white arrived so I can finish the thighs (hopefully) tomorrow! Then a few days and I'll fit them with the greaves and everything else.

• Like 1

Foam on the inside can definitely help to stop rotation on the forearms and biceps.

Good news on the paint arrival 

• Like 2

I shook up a new can of gloss white and started spraying the thighs, but sadly, it came out all clumpy and discolored at first. I finished spraying and they mostly look alright, but the front of the first thigh is going to need some sanding and another coat :(

IFWg683.jpg

I also lightly filed some putty, but one hole collapsed in again. I put more putty, and tried to squish some inside to support the back. Hopefully this will work out...I don't know how else to fix it short of buying more resin and filling the inside...

sesL8OP.jpg

A little bit of putty in the trauma plate's pinholes.

Q73rswU.jpg

Wet sanded the ammo boxes to 220. They ready for gloss white tomorrow.

hLPvn4T.jpg

I had some extra time, so I thought I'd practice riveting. I drilled 3/16" holes into 2 pieces I trimmed from the belt. The rivets I'm using are only 1/4" long, about the thickness of 2 sheets of fiberglass, so they just aren't longer enough to grip outside the 2nd sheet. I found some 3/16"x1/2" rivets online that might work, but I'm waiting for confirmation on their grip range.

KRB4Otg.jpg

If I don't use rivets (and I'm not going to do t-nuts since I'd have to cut into them) what are my other options to attach the ammo boxes and TD? Will E6000 be sufficient? Velcro will be too thick so they won't sit flush, same if I got adhesive magnetic sheets.

This is why I went off Rustoleum paints, the consistency has never been good, you can go a few cans and no issues then you use another can and disaster, I'm not sure if it's shelf life, mix or not enough shaking but was just too inconsistent to keep using. 

For difficult pin holes that keep popping up I use something sharp and open the hole a little more, then add some bondo (automotive filler) sand and usually that fixes the problem

E6000 is pretty strong and if left for long enough should work fine, keeps cover strips on OT armor so I don't think you will have any issues. Normal drying time can vary, I like to go 24 to 48 hours before putting any pressure on. You can also clean off any excess by rubbing it off.

The magnetic sheets I've seen here are not very strong so I don't think they will work for you.

There is also double sided tape but you would need to go for a thin industrial type, not sure how easy that would be to find. 

• Like 1

E6000 is pretty strong and if left for long enough should work fine, keeps cover strips on OT armor so I don't think you will have any issues. Normal drying time can vary, I like to go 24 to 48 hours before putting any pressure on. You can also clean off any excess by rubbing it off.

Maybe I'll consider E6000 as my backup, since it'll be just as permanent as rivets (unless the paint rips off).
  • Like 1

I spray painted the ammo boxes white today, satin on the drop box backs, and gloss everywhere else. After a few coats on the back, I waited 30 minutes and flipped them over. They were still a little sticky. This setup didn't work too well, I should've figured out how to make a bunch of toothpick stands. They have quite a few imperfections that I'll have to touch up, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles...

PK4kkyw.jpg

I also wet sanded the putty off the trauma plate with 220. I'll spray gloss white tomorrow and it should be good!

JXBHizB.jpg

Some gentle filing, and the putty still fell into the TD. My buddy had some Bondo fiberglass filler so I mixed some and spread it. After 15 minutes of curing I sanded with 220 and it seems to be holding up! I'm sure it'll take a little putty to blend it smooth, but at least there's no hole!

LOMBEJl.jpg

I think I've talked myself into using E6000 to attached the ammo boxes and TD to the belt, unless anyone is opposed. E6000 will allow me to move them around until they're perfect and I can clamp them at both ends. Drilling holes for rivets or screws/nuts won't allow shifting if they don't line up perfectly in the first shot. Velcro and magnetic sheets won't be thin enough to lay flush, and could possibly bump/fall off. I have a few days before I'm worried about it, so I'm fully open to input!

• Like 1