DarthBiscuit's R1TK Build (Jimmiroquai kit)

Looking good.

For a couple of my builds I added some snaps on the triangle section of the rear harness, keeps the backplate up well.

IZzn8pU.jpg&key=dabaf5ab944437a8bb52a485

Cods on the R1's are pretty big, yours as is looks a little small height wise when you compare to screen images

yT1APV5.jpg&key=6aa8707ff060bd206e3278a7large.rogue-one-movie-screencaps.com-108large.rogue-one-movie-screencaps.com-400

Butt plate looks good. You could reduce the V area if you wanted more movement, notice on the screen reference the V alignment to the rectangle recess area

Uwtl73T.jpg&key=28842fa2e821ed1e7481a2e4large.rogue-one-movie-screencaps.com-358

This image of the cod looks better in this image, remember too that the thighs are a lot lower with R1 compared to OTTK, they have a big black area showing

9sl67Vh.jpg&key=1ed12cd6411fc1874a09f7e7

I have found that a lot of Jim's kits do need quite a lot of trimming especially on thighs, must be some big thighed models around.

Feels great actually putting pieces on ;) 

55 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

For a couple of my builds I added some snaps on the triangle section of the rear harness, keeps the backplate up well.

Snaps make sense too, but I think it'll be difficult to reach back there to snap/unsnap. But maybe velcro on the triangle will work!

Cods on the R1's are pretty big, yours as is looks a little small height wise when you compare to screen images

I think you're right. Thanks for the image!

Butt plate looks good. You could reduce the V area if you wanted more movement, notice on the screen reference the V alignment to the rectangle recess area

I agree, the height looks good, but I can take away from the bottom.

56 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

This image of the cod looks better in this image, remember too that the thighs are a lot lower with R1 compared to OTTK, they have a big black area showing

This pic of my cod piece doesn't have the belt, so not as much is hidden. But I can adjust so it looks like this with the belt on!

56 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I have found that a lot of Jim's kits do need quite a lot of trimming especially on thighs, must be some big thighed models around.

He probably goes big since we can trim down, but it's difficult to add! Oh well, back to the Dremel!

1 hour ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Feels great actually putting pieces on ;)

You got that right! I was literally wearing most of this for 2 hours while working. I loved it! I definitely have to do something about the satin black that's rubbing off the sides onto the barrel... I thought my boots felt narrow at first, but I had no issues the whole time! Bending down is near impossible, and I'm not even wearing the full suit lol!

• Like 1

I test fitted the barrel with the suspenders loosened and found a spot that'll work. So I E6000'd some more snaps down there. The tops ones are pretty stuck in there, so I'll figure out prying them off later.

EqGXWY8.jpg

Based on suggestions from gmrhodes13 and looking at lots of reference pics (also posted by gmrhodes13 haha) I adjusted my trim markings! Taking this much off the top lets it hang 1/2" below the barrel, but the belt extends 1" below the barrel, so there's still 1/2 of overlap (makes sense lol). The bottom pic is how it'll look while worn (theoretically). I'm also going to trim some off the bottom since it overhangs really far, and reference pics look more rounded.

sdP2WgU.jpg

I'm going to take about 1/2" off around the whole butt plate. Looking at reference pics, I think Jim's plate is big enough that I can do without this much.

gw6ieuI.jpg

I didn't get around to trimming today, which is probably good since I'm hoping for more feedback! I'm always so wary when it comes time to cut...

I also wet sanded the exteriors of the bells and biceps to 800 to get rid of satin overspray. Tomorrow I'll spray gloss white on them and hope for the best!

I probably won't trim tomorrow either since that'll kick up too must dust, which is NOT what I want to deal with on gloss white day!

Edited by DarthBiscuit

I sprayed gloss white on the bells and biceps today. Moving them back and forth between my paint booth and these stands worked out alright. It only took a few coats. Maybe I wasn't careful enough, since I got some runs, but I was able to dab them a little with a towel to absorb most of it.

eJtlUDM.jpg

EVERY PIECE has pinholes!? I had wiped them all off with a microfiber cloth, and the humidity isn't THAT bad... I don't know what happened here, but maybe it was too much sanding or not enough filling. I think I'll need to touch these up, probably with putty in 2 days, then sand, and paint again.

4clMgZ1.jpg

The lower rear snaps on the barrel work! The suspender Y is much lower. I put it on and attached the cod and butt with tape, about 1/2" underneath, then put the belt on. These heights look good! I trimmed the lower point and a bit off the top of the cod. I also trimmed the butt's V to make it more narrow, in the top pic. While wearing it, the butt extended really far to the side, so I went back and cut 1/2". The top also curved up on both sides, so I trimmed it more evenly across, instead of cutting it all off like I had planned.

UAtzfsu.jpg

Looking good, shame about those pinholes but at least you are tackling it head on and know what's involved to move on ;) 

• Like 1

I used a Dremel cutting disc to open the thighs, inward of the cover strips. Then I used a grinding drum to even them out. They look pretty good!

oWVkrMy.jpg

I clamped the back at this spot, keeps the bottom pretty even, but it's still pretty large. I probably need to take another inch or so off, but I'm not sure of my options. I don't want to cut it off and trim both sides... I think if I trim at this line, then I can close the thigh more while keeping the bottom rim even, and not just getting super close on one side.

nIGo9kf.jpg

I also started spreading putty on the cod and butt, and decided to just overdo it haha! Maybe this time I won't have a billion pinholes...

NzjG4cr.jpg

I'll wet sand the gloss white on the bells and biceps to 400 tomorrow, and the cod/butt to 220.

I would probably wait until a kit up, ab armor, thighs and with shins on as well to check the overall look, if it looks ok you may be able to get away with adding some foam, I did this with a couple of my builds as I was getting into the same problem of loosing the central look going smaller

• Like 1

I would probably wait until a kit up, ab armor, thighs and with shins on as well to check the overall look, if it looks ok you may be able to get away with adding some foam, I did this with a couple of my builds as I was getting into the same problem of loosing the central look going smaller

Yeah you're definitely right. When I held them on I was trying to judge if foam would hold them steady. I think I need to trim around the top first. It's way too long for my thighs. Maybe I'll take off an inch from the top, and then fit it with everything else before trimming more from the back.
  • Like 1

I wet sanded the bells and biceps to 400 today. They were SO BAD! Hopefully they turn out better this time, like how the chest was terrible and just needed touching up. Maybe I'll start doing a 2nd coat of primer and light sanding before spraying gloss...

ubdKBs5.jpg

I trimmed the tops off the thighs! I took 1" off the sides and 1.5" off the front, lowering the peak a bit. I realized I also had to fix the line in the rear cover strip. Turned out alright! I just need to putty the other spots.

RHYYuE2.jpg

Here they are clamped in the the back, looking fairly symmetric! Tomorrow I'll test fit them with other pieces to see if they're good... I still think I'll need to close them up more.

GeFgcPk.jpg

Nice work, spray putting would have saved you a lot of time ;)  Just applied 3 coats to some 3D printed parts and you'd be amazed how much it fills the print lines.

• Like 1

Nice work, spray putting would have saved you a lot of time   Just applied 3 coats to some 3D printed parts and you'd be amazed how much it fills the print lines.

Oh man...do you have Amazon links? When I search it comes up with primers...

28 minutes ago, DarthBiscuit said:

Oh man...do you have Amazon links? When I search it comes up with primers...

I get mine from automotive shop locally not sure what you have in the US

I searched Rustoleum and they have it in Australia, although I've not seen it personally https://www.rustoleum.com.au/product-catalog/consumer-brands/motospray/Body-fillers-putties-and-fibreglass/spray-putty

motospray-spray-putty-gold-400g.ashxmotospray-spray-putty-gold-1lt.ashx

I find using the liquid and using a course spray gun (home handy man type) you get nice thick layers, the spray can not so much.

Doing a search for US and primer/filler comes up, we have that here also but again it's not as thick as the spray putty. UK also appears to have spray putty but no luck searching US so far.

2 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I get mine from automotive shop locally not sure what you have in the US

I searched Rustoleum and they have it in Australia, although I've not seen it personally https://www.rustoleum.com.au/product-catalog/consumer-brands/motospray/Body-fillers-putties-and-fibreglass/spray-putty

motospray-spray-putty-gold-400g.ashxmotospray-spray-putty-gold-1lt.ashx

I find using the liquid and using a course spray gun (home handy man type) you get nice thick layers, the spray can not so much.

Doing a search for US and primer/filler comes up, we have that here also but again it's not as thick as the spray putty. UK also appears to have spray putty but no luck searching US so far.

Thanks for the specifics! Searching now, it looks like it IS an Australian thing :( I'll keep looking to see if I can find something out here that might work better. At the very least, I can try switching my primer to a primer/filler. Thanks!!

• Like 1

I wet sanded the cod and butt to 220.

obRPfic.jpg

And then applied putty to the bells and biceps. Up close, they looked much worse than before. I might have to start doing a 2nd coat of primer, or at least use a filler/primer.

QVe4wa6.jpg

That took so long that I didn't have a chance to fit the thighs with the barrel/belt, shins, and boots. Hopefully tomorrow!

• Like 1

So I test fitted the lower half today... If the thighs are only held up by a strap connected on the outside top, then what's to stop them from hanging crooked? They wouldn't stay straight up, but I don't think I can attach any other straps, right?
hwftDzx.jpghkUpbIM.jpg

There's a lot of extra space. I don't think foam will fill up enough to keep it from bouncing around. So I think I need to trim more off the back...any suggestions how, while keeping it even?

1X8xeNR.jpg

I primed the cod and butt! Those went well.

ie54CQI.jpg

And SANDING... Wet sanded these to 800...what a pain in the wrist! They definitely needed putty though. Hopefully tomorrow's gloss white goes on smooth!

I2jldlg.jpg

I find adding foam helps keep thighs straight.

Here is reference of the side strapping, appears to be two straps in the this image, could even be a V

large.rogue-one-stormtrooper-reference-c

large.rogue-one-stormtrooper-reference-cCapture10.JPG

Here's Jeff, appears he only has the one side

tSqXIq9.jpg

I find adding foam helps keep thighs straight.

Here is reference of the side strapping, appears to be two straps in the this image, could even be a V
large.rogue-one-stormtrooper-reference-ce-2016_28372552685_o.jpg.370ff49db4d0978dd4f3321bc2a4a689.jpg
large.rogue-one-stormtrooper-reference-ce-2016_28089825530_o.jpg.e6032efe23164ce0348937aa187c7c29.jpgCapture10.JPG.01cd92ccdda70ee561912af5e240b219.JPG

Here's Jeff, appears he only has the one side
tSqXIq9.jpg&key=f764dc690d77c71b85351ac53f75dafe460a6641a68ac570858180affcc58f5b

So you don't think THAT much extra space is too much?

I only see one strap in the first pic...maybe my eyes aren't that good...

1 hour ago, DarthBiscuit said:

So you don't think THAT much extra space is too much?

I only see one strap in the first pic...maybe my eyes aren't that good...

I think it is a little too much but try to even out the gap between the front and back, just push in some foam or scrunched newspaper to get a better idea of how they are sitting.

There appears to be quite a lot of room in the back of this image

large.rogue-one-stormtrooper-reference-c

Straps

large.rogue-one-stormtrooper-reference-ce-2016_28372552685_o.jpg.370ff49db4d0978dd4f3321bc2a4a689.thumb.png.920fcd65f69ef2e2466aae1d1919258c.png

large.rogue-one-stormtrooper-reference-ce-2016_28372552685_o.jpg.370ff49db4d0978dd4f3321bc2a4a689.jpg

• Like 1

I see them now, thanks!! I was looking through the Gallery but it won't download the images for me to expand and adjust, they download as 0 KB...

Yes, maybe hanging them straight and centered will even out the gap around my legs, and then I can run foam around...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DarthBiscuit said:

I see them now, thanks!! I was looking through the Gallery but it won't download the images for me to expand and adjust, they download as 0 KB...

Yes, maybe hanging them straight and centered will even out the gap around my legs, and then I can run foam around...

FYI you can only save images from the gallery once you open that section and use the thumb of the image DON'T increase the image, just right click the thumb and "save image as" then it should download. For some reason you can't save when they are enlarged :icon_eek:.

FYI you can only save images from the gallery once you open that section and use the thumb of the image DON'T increase the image, just right click the thumb and "save image as" then it should download. For some reason you can't save when they are enlarged :icon_eek:.

Yeah that's what I did, but they're just 0 KB. Tried my phone and computer, Safari and Firefox...They're just empty files. I'll check the Help Forum and see if that's been a problem for anyone else.

And what do you think about the height and curvature of the thighs? One of the best pics in the Gallery was from the Visual Dictionary. I think mine are still a bit tall, the peak seems to be too pointed, and the inside is too flat. I'm thinking of trimming down to the red line. Thoughts?

daDKm5r.jpg

29 minutes ago, DarthBiscuit said:

And what do you think about the height and curvature of the thighs? One of the best pics in the Gallery was from the Visual Dictionary. I think mine are still a bit tall, the peak seems to be too pointed, and the inside is too flat. I'm thinking of trimming down to the red line. Thoughts?

I would suggest using screen references as display and visual dictionary aren't always correct. Thighs range in height/gaps, I'd probably wait until you have your drop boxes on too to see the whole look.

Trooper on right has very little gap

Donnie-Yen.jpg

Quite a large gap on these two

large.rogue-one-movie-screencaps.com-110

Another large gap

large.rogue-one-movie-screencaps.com-108