Calf Help

I used ABS cement on the front, then Industrial Velcro on the backs, and they stay closed. I use the full wide strip down the entire length, its sometimes hard to get them apart actually. Industrial Velcro comes in white and black and is 2x as wide as regular Velcro and in my opinion at least 2 x as strong, especially sideways holding. Also the glue on the strips is much stronger.

One other tip I learned the hard way, when cementing the seam down the front use blue painter's tape to tape off the front face right next to the ridge on the thigh. This way if some on the glue squishes out, or you mislay it over the other one, it doesn't get glue on the front. I started doing that when cementing all my parts.

Using a heat gun or a hair dryer, you can actually form the calf pieces to fit together, closing like a clam shell, with no need for either velcro or glue in the back. I did this on my FX. I just glued the front together, using the ABS cement that came with the kit, giving it at least 48 hours to set. Then, using a regular hair dryer, I heated the calf pieces to the point where I almost couldn´t hold them, feeling the plastic softening somewhat. After that, I just bent them, using my hands, until the pieces were shaped so they would naturally close in the back.

Doing this takes a while; you have to heat the pieces, then bend them, then heat them up again, bend them some more, etc. - but the final result is well worth it, I think. Apart from the screen accurate look, you´ll get a pair of calf pieces that will flex in the back, adjusting to the muscles flexing when you walk, or climb a set of stairs.

It´s hard to explain exactly how you should bend the pieces, but I think you´ll discover it for yourself, once you have the pieces in hand. You gotta sort of bend the one piece with the "upper" lip inwards, hard, and then bend the other piece, with the "lower" lip, to go under under it. When done correctly, the tension between the two pieces should be enough to keep them closed.

To really make sure the calf pieces stay closed, I recommend putting a strip of velcro, not in the joint itself, but on the inside of the pieces, across the joint, somewhere near the top of the calf.

There's been thousands of pics posted on this site .. but I strongly suggest these:

-----

lol

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Alex,

for what it's worth here's a link to a few pics of my Right Calf. Ignore the rivets, bad idea if you want to be accurate.

---------

I don't think the pics in the last link to thread are of an FX, but I could be wrong.

Hope this help a little,

Cheers

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I was right! It was just like the forearms, I don't know why I thought otherwise. After reading my past post in this thread I just felt stupid, also because I didn't see the part where TK6327 explained how they closed. I'm such a dumb a very impolite person

Thanks for all the help guys!