Cricket

Cricket's 3D Print FOTK (TLJ)- ABS, Kid-sized

5 hours ago, LTM said:

Step away from the ledge! :-)

You have time, I know what it is like to want to be done with a step/project. No trooping for the immediate future, but you know if you get it professionally painted you will be worried about touch ups (and there will be scratches). Better to do it yourself and be able to deal with the fix-ups. So take what you have now, and start the strapping while waiting for better painting conditions.  

Okay, I've stepped off the ledge.  Solid advice there, Lou.  Thanks!  ;)   I know there are other things to work on for this kit, but they aren't nearly as much fun as getting that gloss white on the parts.  Ah well, time to get to building snaps and whatnot.

5 hours ago, TheSwede said:

That’s too bad :/ If it weren’t for huge delays  in shipping I would happily paint it for him, hopefully someone nearby has the ability to help with indoor painting:)

Hey, thanks for that, Daniel!  Much appreciated.  I'll just have to be more patient!

47 minutes ago, ticopowell said:

Get some halogen lights, Harbor freight sells some that come with 2 lights on a tripod, if that isn't enough light to paint with i'm not sure what is... :)

https://www.harborfreight.com/detachable-dual-head-halogen-shop-light-62565.html

I can totally use that kind of thing, and I don't own any.  Well... now I do. This was a great suggestion for sure!  Halogens get too hot for my liking, so I picked up something similar over on Amazon with LED lights instead.   They should be here before the weekend (yay!).  Soon I'll be outside painting at night, with nothing but the fireflies to keep me company.  :D 

I spent the rest of my afternoon shifting gears and wiping down all my armor parts again, especially cleaning that back plate.  It had all sorts of smudges from the ABS and aluminum dust work yesterday.  And I realized that I still needed to mount the thigh bracket on the thigh before painting anyhow, so now I'm actually glad that I didn't pull the trigger yet on painting (ha, see what I did there?).

I drilled the holes all the way through the layered bracket first.
50059468521_fbacbb429a_b.jpg

One last test fit over the area where it will be attached.  Everything lines up, so it's a GO for glue!

50059468506_050f01c9a8_b.jpg

Glued into place with e6000 and secured with tape as the glue cures.
50059710967_068ea31a55_b.jpg

I will be further securing the bracket to the thigh with M3 and M4 hex button screws after painting (so there will be no issues with the holster staying put).  

And now it's time to get my plans for strapping this kit in order.  :)  

• Like 4

Yay! Ledge averted.

When blazing the lights and having your neighbors wondering if you are doing "burning man" in your yard, use some bug lights. You are going to be attracting a few new buddies that would love to "join" the armor.  Use your box fan as well to direct them around the painting area(think of the wind deflectors above automatic doors. Put the fan so that it is blowing over the lights away from the armor, this will send the bugs downstream. I also recommend that your husband video tape because this is going to be a sight :laugh1:

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, LTM said:

Yay! Ledge averted.

When blazing the lights and having your neighbors wondering if you are doing "burning man" in your yard, use some bug lights. You are going to be attracting a few new buddies that would love to "join" the armor.  Use your box fan as well to direct them around the painting area(think of the wind deflectors above automatic doors. Put the fan so that it is blowing over the lights away from the armor, this will send the bugs downstream. I also recommend that your husband video tape because this is going to be a sight :laugh1:

Well Lou beat me to it, exactly what I was typing up regarding the bug lights. :laugh1:

Edited by Scimitar
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, LTM said:

Yay! Ledge averted.

:laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1:

I'm cracking up reading this build. It's entertaining on so many levels :laugh1:, oh and you're doing a fantastic job also :jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 3

Hey, wondering if these boots would work for the FOTK kit.  I was able to find these in white, size 4.5, which is a little big for Cameron, but much closer to his size than anything else I've seen.  They have a zipper on the inside.  The rubber trim on the sole could be painted black. 
50061577078_b6b95d9587_o.jpg

50061580053_d64ea451ff_o.jpg

I know it's missing the swoop seams, but this is for Galactic Academy, and they won't care that those little details aren't there.  Thoughts?  Thanks, troopers!

EDIT: After looking at these and comparing them to the CRL, I've gone ahead and snagged them.  Should be a nice upgrade over the slip on shoes Cameron currently has.  :) 

Now, if anyone sees an Anovos FOTK lid for sale, please let me know!!!  Cameron is giving me grief about the seam on his current helmet (an adult Rubies Deluxe conversion).  I am considering getting him an upgraded helmet as a surprise for his birthday in November.  :) 

Edited by Cricket
  • Like 1

Ok, this is now in the works (nothing more for you to do on the helmet request). We got you Christine!

Edited by LTM
text
  • Like 2

I got a piece attached!!!!  Yay!!!

All right, it's not a lot, but it's progress.  I had no idea as to how to attach the cod to the ab, then I referred back to Tony's FOTK build thread, and voila- there was everything I needed to get me going.  This 3D print isn't the same as the Anovos armor, so I had to wrap my mind around what mods I needed to make.  First, I realized that I needed to make some cuts at the belt line to accommodate the cod snaps.  I still haven't lost my fear of cutting this armor yet.  But it went a lot faster than expected.
50065587033_740c4d7afa_b.jpg

Next, I installed the male snaps into the cod piece and verified that they would fit into the holes I just made in the ab.  All good!  I also drilled holes for rivets to attach the webbing inside.
50066141481_7b42a599d2_c.jpg

Installed the female snaps and webbing together.  This was my first attempt on this part.  I remade it later with a bit of ABS sandwiched in the snap for easier removal.
50066141126_2f594ab625_c.jpg

Here is everything all assembled together, rivets and snaps with ABS.  I was pleasantly surprised with how well this all attaches together.  It looks like it'll allow for some great mobility- much more comfortable than the OTTK suit.
50065587413_2c7c65d9e1_b.jpg

All apart so you can see how things look...

50066143006_430a311639_b.jpg

And inside view, looking down at the bottom of the ab.
50065586153_040ef1700b_b.jpg

This is yet another reason why I'm really glad I haven't done the final paint yet!  

I have my sights set on rigging up Cameron's suspenders next.  I had started work on them earlier, then got distracted with putting the cod together today. 

• Like 3