First time armor builder, need help with helmet

Looks good, Thomas... nice work!  Just remember when you eventually paint them not to take the paint beyond the actual teeth.

u05gzDU.jpg

20 minutes ago, Tsedd11 said:

Is that gap okay, bc the ears should cover it, also should I trim the bottom of the helmet before rviteting? 

I could suggest to try placing the ears on before riveting and I wouldn't trim the neck yet before riveting and being sure everything fits.

:salute:

Hey trooper,

Personally, I’d get some magnets and try adjusting the alignment. To my eye, I’d try something like below.

Imagine the little green circle is a pivot point - I’d bring the nose down a little, which will also reduce the gap you have between the faceplate and the back section.

b64f9b87eaeacb64b35085a301fe3297.png

I agree with Mario regarding trying the ears against the helmet. Here’s part of my helmet build video series where I talk about rough trimming the ears to help get the alignment right.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tsedd11 said:

I’m gonna do the ears tomorrow, how does this look? Sorry I feel like I’m being repetitive, just want to get it right 

Never be sorry about asking questions, Thomas, and I applaud you for wanting to "get it right"!  That looks pretty darned good, and the ears will cover those seams on the side.  When doing the ears, remember that they don't have to be perfectly flat against the helmet on all sides (Heaven knows the originals weren't).  When you start trimming just do a small amount at a time until you get them close, and post up pics of your progress.

Placement is key, though.  As seen in the reference images below, the top of the round part should sit at the center of the rear of the trap, and the screws should line up with the angle of it.

aqL1Zj9.jpg?2  oYDEzWK.jpg?1  uD2z8pJ.jpg?1

I’m gonna do the ears tomorrow, how does this look? Sorry I feel like I’m being repetitive, just want to get it right 
A0A61681-D60D-4A99-ADD4-E012ADD9F1D2.jpeg.d27539cb17ebabb60beaaf94dbdf735d.jpeg

What you have is okay. Key thing is that you’re happy with it, that’s the main thing.

As above, personally I’d adjust the angle a little but this is your project. We can give tips and tricks but it’s your baby. :-)

Good job, trooper. :-)

If you’re struggling with images, either try a hosting site like Imgur, or a free app like Tapatalk.

Personally, the later is my choice as photos are uploaded directly from my phone in seconds. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, Tsedd11 said:

Appears that's the link to your full gallery, if you select "direct link" on each of the images and post them seperetatly into your thread you will get more feedback, many don't like going "off site" ;) 

Looking good

lE6QvWF.jpg

It looks like you will need to trim the bottom rear of the cap at some point in order to get the S-trim to sit correctly and cover the seam.  Do this a little at a time until you get close, and post up some more pics if you have any issues!

vxV9orE.jpg?1   CiCPuwT.jpg?2  cqLxw5h.jpg?2

lOVbUkE.jpg?2    gKr9xUT.jpg?2

Alright, gonna start on the ears today. I found this interesting video on youtube that seems to make a lot of sense and seems to work for the guy in the video. was wondering if this is a better option than trial and error with a dremel. thanks :dancing-trooper:

TK trimming stormtrooper ears with a compass

Sorry i couldn't find the BBCODE option you talked about. 

I also am not sure where to trim the ears to to even start for fitting,like how much do I leave? i sketched it out in pencil where I thought to trim first.