First time armor builder, need help with helmet

I told myself I wasn’t gonna start on the helmet, but then I did. Does this look okay? Or did I miss up somehow, barely cut any material off. Any help would be useful, Even trying to put together and visualize the lid with the back cap on, I’m just stressing about it. Like my question is: how extremely super duper accurate do I have to be about this? Bc I feel like I’m maybe stressing too much about it

BD5869BC-FB37-41B8-804A-FA0B8FE07948.jpeg

Hi Thomas, welcome to FISD.  I would like to recommend you the following Forum Thread, It would be so useful for this challenging part of your 

project. Be sure to post some photos of your build to receive some feedback  before trimming or gluing.

This one would help also.  

Hope this can help. 

Cheers  :salute:

• Like 2

Hi Thomas!  First, let me say congrats on receiving your armor... but don't stress out!  It looks as if you may have a bit more trimming to do, but you did the absolute correct thing in asking first before moving along!  There will be a certain amount of overlap of the back and face plates, as you will need an area to attach the rivets that hold them together.  Since the overlap is not seen from the outside and does not affect approval this is normally covered by the ears.  

My suggestion would be to use blue painter's tape to hold together for the time being until you get the ears trimmed and in place which will cover the seams.  Ideally, the center of the top(round) part of the ears should be positioned directly below the rear angle of the traps above them, as seen in the reference photos below.  Please also note that the ear screws follow that line.

ZzMBTP1.jpg   aqL1Zj9.jpg?2  oYDEzWK.jpg?1  uD2z8pJ.jpg?1

Please keep the photos coming, and ALWAYS feel free to ask any questions.  It's what we are here for!

2 hours ago, Tsedd11 said:

Updated cuts and brow fitment, what ya think?

Hi Thomas, looking good but you may want to compare with the reference photo and @CableGuy post reference. I think you can level up  a bit the face to align as the reference.

This is yours

ER7toh6.png?1

This is reference

tH6kLPV.png?1

Hope this can help.  cheers

Do you mean like this? Just put more space between the eye and the brow?
thanks for all your help too
A5B5C43C-1F1D-4FDF-97DB-280EBE56B26B.jpeg.c0190b4163fdbd5ef0b3ef5269d1ce52.jpeg

Looking good, Trooper.

If you can, get some magnets to hold the helmet in place;

34ee11e1771a985ae5150e02c1c1d00e.jpg

This way, you can experiment with the position and take some photos. Compare these with some screen shots from the movie and see which position is closed with your make of helmet. :-)

Hope that helps. Any questions, just shout. :-)

I realize that helmets are made differently, but if it were me I would angle the face plate out a bit more and raise it a hair, as it appears the eyes are looking down.  The blue line on the left shows that the area where the bottom of the cheek ends currently lines up toward the back of the trap, while on the reference image it lines up more toward the front.  This would also raise the cheek angles.

DnA0I4B.png    mrfhySS.png

In looking at the reference image, note how the tops of the eyes line up with the ridge on the cap, giving the appearance of looking forward.

efVltAJ.png   Jn5KEi0.png

6 minutes ago, Tsedd11 said:

Before I do anything, did you mean raise my brow, like cut more material away? 

Hi Thomas,

I wouldn't trim any more just yet. As above, try experimenting using magnets then compare to the screen used helmets. That will show you the best position for your faceplate. If you need to trim anymore, that will be the time to do it.

If you can, provide clear photos from left, right and front (as shown above, from approx 6 feet away), that'll help us see the current alignment.

Here's some extra information on the alignment;

Personally, I think your alignment is pretty close, however, the additional photos will help to confirm that. :-)

29 minutes ago, Tsedd11 said:

Before I do anything, did you mean raise my brow, like cut more material away? 

Just move the face plate forward and try to match  like the blue lines, for temporary fixing you can use magnets or painter's tape. post some photos for feedback.

Cheers 

FrMzb7l.png

1 minute ago, TKSpartan said:

Just move the face plate forward and try to match  like the blue lines, for temporary fixing you can use magnets or painter's tape. post some photos for feedback.

Cheers 

FrMzb7l.png

This will push the eyes into the brow. Personally, I feel that this would take away from the current appearance. Current alignment looks pretty close. :-)

• Like 1

So all the picture of the fitment I’ve posted here is the helmet just kind of sitting together where it goes. I can push it apart a bit and it seems to give me the look you guys are talking about. My magnets aren’t strong enough to hold the whole thing together, but I hope these pictures help! 

92507E8D-4073-447F-A33B-7C85E82AE350.jpeg

7A54562C-0D88-4F42-9264-2598250DCA19.jpeg

577C1A40-796E-42CB-8B05-C4068C8A10E5.jpeg

28 minutes ago, Tsedd11 said:

Sorry about the bad pics, and the pictures posting horizontal

Don't worry, here they are:

OO145KW.jpg?2tH6kLPV.png?2

3MTcWjI.jpg?2

from my sight , It looks much better.  :jc_doublethumbup: what do you think? @justjoseph63  @CableGuy

Edited by TKSpartan
add info

31 minutes ago, TKSpartan said:

Don't worry, here they are:

OO145KW.jpg?2tH6kLPV.png?2

3MTcWjI.jpg?2

from my sight , It looks much better.  :jc_doublethumbup: what do you think? @justjoseph63  @CableGuy

It does look better.  Try opening the window blinds and taking the pictures facing the opposite direction.  My old-man eyes are struggling.  :P

Be wary of using that particular reference image - the "stop that ship" helmet has a particularly high brow and I believe the faceplate is slightly recessed compared to others.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, wook1138 said:

Be wary of using that particular reference image - the "stop that ship" helmet has a particularly high brow and I believe the faceplate is slightly recessed compared to others.

You're right, thanks for the advice.  :salute:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wook1138 said:

It does look better.  Try opening the window blinds and taking the pictures facing the opposite direction.  My old-man eyes are struggling.  :P

My eyes are clearly as old as yours... ;)

More examples here; https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/48293-anh-helmet-alignment/

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wook1138 said:

1 hour ago, Tsedd11 said:

So all the picture of the fitment I’ve posted here is the helmet just kind of sitting together where it goes. I can push it apart a bit and it seems to give me the look you guys are talking about. My magnets aren’t strong enough to hold the whole thing together, but I hope these pictures help! 

92507E8D-4073-447F-A33B-7C85E82AE350.jpeg

7A54562C-0D88-4F42-9264-2598250DCA19.jpeg

577C1A40-796E-42CB-8B05-C4068C8A10E5.jpeg

Whilst the lighting is a little tricky, overall this still looks pretty good.

Looks good to me. 

A little tip - try turning your flash on.  As many of the reference pics use a flash - using yours will highlight the return edges in the same way the reference pics do.  I found this especially helpful when finishing my helmet.  You might have to back away from the helmet when taking the picture and then digitally zoom in the photo to get the same look.

Keep up the good work!

• Like 1