Bravely Casual's ANH Stunt Build

Bravely Casual

Hello there!  I wanted to get started with forging my ANH armor kit that is the stunt build.  The armor kit, btw, is an ATA kit. A bit nervous about this, but excited at the same time.  I will start by forging the Helmet first.

cgtQUrQ.jpg?1

S1p8bqe.jpg9XdqUFv.jpg

VGwy9KB.jpg

p6UNJ90.jpg

GaSeWMn.jpg

IMBC7YO.jpg

d3KcAS1.jpg

oDloOdE.jpg

Below is the set of tools I use. Which includes the following:
Heavy Duty Razor Knife - Scissors - A Rotary Kit w/ Dremel Drum attachment 120 grit - Screws and white Hovi Mic Tips that came with the armor kit out of the box.
bEP1kzb.jpg
SBsHgHA.jpg

Also got the paint and brushes I needed to touch up on the stripes, frown, and the vocoder.  Though I did forget to get the gloss white paint for the screws that holds the ear plates.  I'll be sure to get those soon. 

a5cceJO.jpg

Humbrol # 85 , Humbrol # 5, Humbrol # 14 , and Humbrol #48
qSyHAMA.jpg

I am a bit hesitant at the part where I need to trim the edges of the helmet though.  I took a look at TK1636's video on some guidance on how to trim it:

Though my gut instinct tells me, based on the helmet I have, I should cut the excess plastic on the top of the face and underneath the face, while leaving the side untrimmed so I have enough plastic for the ear plates to be screwed in?  What are your guys' and gals' thoughts on how I should proceed with the trimming?  Thank you for what ever guidance anyone can provide. 

Edited by Bravely Casual
  • Like 1

Well done on all of your prep! :-)

What make is the helmet (and armour)? That will have an effect on how you cut it as some are molded differently to others.

This is how I built my Troopermaster helmet. This series of videos go through how I planned where to cut based upon accurate ear alignment and faceplate alignment. Faceplate alignment is key to an accurate, ANH stunt helmet. :-)

20 minutes ago, CableGuy said:

Well done on all of your prep! :-)

What make is the helmet (and armour)? That will have an effect on how you cut it as some are molded differently to others.

This is how I built my Troopermaster helmet. This series of videos go through how I planned where to cut based upon accurate ear alignment and faceplate alignment. Faceplate alignment is key to an accurate, ANH stunt helmet. :-)

He has an ATA build according to the OP. And man... With everything going on, I just want to get started on my armor already. I just have to wait a few more days (hopefully) before I start my own thread on here.

Anyways, I hope to see a lot more progress from you in the future, Brave! I feel like you are more prepared than I am at this point.

• Like 1

He has an ATA build according to the OP. And man... With everything going on, I just want to get started on my armor already. I just have to wait a few more days (hopefully) before I start my own thread on here.

Anyways, I hope to see a lot more progress from you in the future, Brave! I feel like you are more prepared than I am at this point.

Hehe. Good spot - I think that’s been edited in. (Or my attention to detail has really dropped off - lol).

4 minutes ago, TheDecisiveRaindrop said:

Thanks Brave! Hope to see your build soon as well!  Lol only thing I forgot to get is the gloss white paint and earth magnets to hold the Face and the Cap in place and for positioning.  Also forgot that I need a mesh for the frown.  Also need to consider how I am going to position the lenses when the time comes. 

2 minutes ago, CableGuy said:

Hehe. Good spot - I think that’s been edited in. (Or my attention to detail has really dropped off - lol). emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

Yeah that was my bad lol.  I forgot to mention what the armor kit was.  I'll do my best to not miss the detail when I am posting stuff from now on lol.  But I believe your videos is something I will watch for reference.  Thanks a bunch!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TheDecisiveRaindrop said:

I got a special putty glue sort of deal that Joseph here on the forums recommends. I'll also need to find myself some gray paint for the teeth when the time comes. Any plans for getting electronics in that bucket?

Oh right! The Sugru putty!  Definitely looks easier to use! lol Thanks for bringing it up! Imma put it on the list.  In the future I will consider getting electronics, though they are a bit pricey at the moment so I'll hold off until I can get my kit approved for Centurion status first and still need to get my DLT-19 Heavy blaster.  Also I did like how CableGuy did his helmet on the inside.  I'll use it as a reference:

809b28d00a4b019b2dbe4256ed1475a5.jpg&key

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheDecisiveRaindrop said:

I bought similar helmet padding  for use in my helmet, they are pretty cheap on amazon. Like 14 bucks or so.

Nice! I should get a set from Amazon then.  I am also considering painting the inside of the helmet black as well.  Similar to how this one is done

• Like 2

Hi guys! Thanks for the support again!  One question:  I plan to spray the interior of the helmet black similar to how T-Jay did his and I was wondering if you guys would recommend this type of spray to use?

https://www.amazon.com/Performix-11203-Multi-Purpose-Coating-Aerosol/dp/B0006SU3QW

1 minute ago, Bravely Casual said:

Hi guys! Thanks for the support again!  One question:  I plan to spray the interior of the helmet black similar to how T-Jay did his and I was wondering if you guys would recommend this type of spray to use?

https://www.amazon.com/Performix-11203-Multi-Purpose-Coating-Aerosol/dp/B0006SU3QW

Yep that would certainty work

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bravely Casual said:

Years ago, I used such a removable type of spray paint, but if I had to do it again now, I would go with standard black spray paint.

Reason 1: Back then, I was not sure if it would work or if I have to undo it.

Reason 2: During usage, the paint peeled off in some spots, which makes you a hard time fixing this.

On 3/22/2020 at 1:23 AM, T-Jay said:

Years ago, I used such a removable type of spray paint, but if I had to do it again now, I would go with standard black spray paint.

Reason 1: Back then, I was not sure if it would work or if I have to undo it.

Reason 2: During usage, the paint peeled off in some spots, which makes you a hard time fixing this.

Ah! Makes sense!  Thanks for your insight T-Jay!  I decided to get matte black enamel spray paint from Tensors and i'll just use that for the interior of the helmet.

• Like 1

So update so far on my progress with my helmet trimming.  I had to mark a couple of things on the face areas before I cut it.  Just wanted some feedback if the line placements are sufficient enough to trim?  I used pandatrooper's post as a guide and reference:

Below are the images I've taken for my helmet with the markings:

Helm - Side 1 - marked
AewRgie.jpg

Face - Front 1 -marked
GUTwWgh.jpg

Face - Front 2- marked
2dlSdUj.jpg

Face - Side 2 - Marked

h0t2FTz.jpg

Now for the Cap, I did some trimming at the bottom part and along the side, though I am a bit hesitant on how far along i should cut.  I was also looking at ANH Stunt Stormtrooper Helmet and noticed some had the rubber brow lined up to the trapezoid. Before I can cut any further, I took pictures and was wondering for any tips or suggestions so far for this cap

Cap - Front 1
hga6jCW.jpg

Cap - Side 1
7u4eZwZ.jpg

Cap - Side 1 - Close up
bF980Vu.jpg

Cap - Side 2

bPHsEoq.jpg

So I have a feeling that either i still need more trimming on the side, or I messed up somewhere so far.  And I am planning to sand the bottom a bit and side. 

10 hours ago, Bravely Casual said:

So I have a feeling that either i still need more trimming on the side, or I messed up somewhere so far.  And I am planning to sand the bottom a bit and side. 

What I would do is to start assembling the helmet to see how things are going , them I could decide where more trimming is needed.

Try placing cap and face together and let's see how it looks.  :salute: 

• Like 1

What I would do is to start assembling the helmet to see how things are going , them I could decide where more trimming is needed.

Try placing cap and face together and let's see how it looks.  :salute: 

Great advise!

Yes, I certainly agree with this. In the below video, you’ll see me using magnets to hold the two parts together. I find that rough trimming the ears and seeing where they need to sit is also handy.
Seeing where the ears should sit will allow you to know where to trim the back & cap and faceplate to get good alignment.

This thread also gives some tips on accurate alignment. :-)

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/48293-anh-helmet-alignment/

As Mario said, try putting the two pieces together and post some pictures from all angles (from about 6 feet back). Straight on from the sides is a key one. A little like these;

6d235da40b280c0897c299ee8477be68.jpg

Hi guys! Thanks for the insights! I'm still waiting for my earth magnets to arrive by next week so I can put the helmet together and give me a brief visual on how I should positioned it.  In the meantime, I just did some brief trimming on the face area, particularly the eyes, frown, and bottom. 

So far here is my progress:

Face - Front -Trim 1
1xYtgYa.jpg

Face - Front -Trim 2
8wA9e4i.jpg

Face - Front -Trim 3

RkUm5sE.jpg

Face - Front -Trim 4

SuXxrp4.jpg

Face - Front -Trim 5

XXsPuVv.jpg

Face - Front Trim - 6
f8EbgkF.jpg

Still a work of progress, though I feel like the eye area is what I am concern the most about, because I have a bad feeling probably messed up that part...  I was using a 120 grit dremmel, though still trying to find something a bit higher.  The frown will still need some more refinement, gonna use the file for that.  As for the bottom area, ill just have to sand it.  Any suggestions or feedback so far with this progress?

2 hours ago, Bravely Casual said:

--SNIP--

Still a work of progress, though I feel like the eye area is what I am concern the most about, because I have a bad feeling probably messed up that part...  I was using a 120 grit dremmel, though still trying to find something a bit higher.  The frown will still need some more refinement, gonna use the file for that.  As for the bottom area, ill just have to sand it.  Any suggestions or feedback so far with this progress?

Don't forget that a rubber trim is added over the entire opening of the helmet so that edge at the bottom won't be visible at all

On 3/28/2020 at 1:23 AM, masterx244 said:

Don't forget that a rubber trim is added over the entire opening of the helmet so that edge at the bottom won't be visible at all

sounds good.  I'm just evening out the edges so the rubber trim will fit properly though.  Just using a 220 grit sandpaper though.

I'm still bummed out that I messed up on the eye area though.  The eye on the left side looks more rounded compared to the other eye, which has more of a sharper looking corner....
Not too sure if that's still viable for having a "rounder" eye look.....

sounds good.  I'm just evening out the edges so the rubber trim will fit properly though.  Just using a 220 grit sandpaper though.

I'm still bummed out that I messed up on the eye area though.  The eye on the left side looks more rounded compared to the other eye, which has more of a sharper looking corner....
Not too sure if that's still viable for having a "rounder" eye look.....

Do you have clear pictures of the eyes?