A Couple questions before I get started on Helmet

Hi guys.  Just want to thank everyone again for the support.  I decided to go with the ANH Hero build for my ATA armor, and going to start on my helmet construction first.  There were a couple of things I wanted to ask before I get started:

1. On the Supply list that is mentioned on this link:

I noticed that the recommended grit type for the drum is 180.  Though at my local hardware store, such as Home depot, most the options I have seen is either 120 or 200+.  Is 180 the ideal grit type to work with or should is it possible to work with 120 or the other?

2.  Do you guys recommend using the painting templates to fill in the tube stripes on the helmet or is it recommend to just do my best and hand paint the stripes in?

3.  On the link above, it mentions to get a good quality of assorted brushes, specifically filbert types.  Do you guys have an example brand of such brushes I can purchase in terms of quality?

4.  I was reading the guidelines for the Costume Reference List and the centurion requirements are highlighted in Red while level 2 is highlighted in blue. Just to be sure, to meet Centurion requirements, I have to both fulfill both Level 2 and Level 3 at the same time or just the items highlighted in Red only?

Thank you guys for any insight or answers you can provide me on this. 

For Centurion it’s “in addition” to the other requirements. Also during submission it’s submit for basic. Get approval. Submit for EIB. Get approved. Submit for Cent. Get approved

As for the other 3, I’d personally go for the lower grit so that you aren’t removing too much material at a time. Your hobby store should be able to tell you what brush will work best with an enamel paint, probably a synthetic bristle would work best. I found having a good liner brush works well for most of the required painting on the TK as it not too much. I used a technique that I came up with for painting my stripes as I never have good luck with templates.

Here’s a link to my thread if you want to check it out. http://bit.ly/jimsstormtrooperbuild

Jim
TK50899

Unless he made new molds you can' t make hero helmet with ATA kit without major rework which would involve sanding, resculpt, putty and full repaint, unless you have correct hero ears, hero smooth back/cap,  correct 6 hole frown and grey bubble lenses,  his helmet as lineage from stunt helmet but I assume you knew that, if you wanted a hero you should have gone the TM route.

Mark (AP)

Edited by ABS80
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, ABS80 said:

Unless he made new molds you can' t make hero helmet with ATA kit without major rework which would involve sanding, resculpt, putty and full repaint, unless you have correct hero ears, hero smooth back/cap,  correct 6 hole frown and grey bubble lenses,  his helmet as lineage from stunt helmet but I assume you knew that, if you wanted a hero you should have gone the TM route.

Mark (AP)

Its a good thing I haven't started yet.  I took a big look at the ear pieces and the back cap, it is definitely a 'Stunt' version.  Thanks for the heads up on that.  It was very subtle difference for me to have notice so gonna focus on the Stunt requirements for centurion.

5 hours ago, MoSc0ut said:

For Centurion it’s “in addition” to the other requirements. Also during submission it’s submit for basic. Get approval. Submit for EIB. Get approved. Submit for Cent. Get approved

As for the other 3, I’d personally go for the lower grit so that you aren’t removing too much material at a time. Your hobby store should be able to tell you what brush will work best with an enamel paint, probably a synthetic bristle would work best. I found having a good liner brush works well for most of the required painting on the TK as it not too much. I used a technique that I came up with for painting my stripes as I never have good luck with templates.

Here’s a link to my thread if you want to check it out. http://bit.ly/jimsstormtrooperbuild

Jim
TK50899

Quick question for doing submission.  Supposedly I did the helmet in one go for Centurion.  I have to get two separate approvals in other words to pass the centurion status?

And sounds good.  Fortunately there is a hobby store in my area when I get off work that is close by and I could inquire about brushes and such.

Thanks again for your guys' assistance btw!

7 hours ago, Bravely Casual said:

Quick question for doing submission.  Supposedly I did the helmet in one go for Centurion.  I have to get two separate approvals in other words to pass the centurion status?

And sounds good.  Fortunately there is a hobby store in my area when I get off work that is close by and I could inquire about brushes and such.

Thanks again for your guys' assistance btw!

Hi Jon

So yes, to get Centurion, you can certainly build your kit to that level from the outset, but you then need Basic 501st approval, which you submit through you garrison GML for approval.

Once approved you then read the Expert infantry section to make sure everything is according to the CRL for level2 or higher of course. You submit that application here in the appropriate section. 

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/19-request-expert-infantryman-status/

Once you are approved at Expert infantry, you then submit for level 3 Centurion.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/72-request-centurion-status/

You will get and award badge on your side bar for both those levels.

• Like 3

Welcome, Jon!  Here are a few links that may help:

What are EI and Centurion?-  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/35371-eib-and-centurion-what-do-these-terms-mean/

ANH Stunt CRL-    https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_anh_stunt

ANH Hero CRL-    https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_anh_hero

CRL breakdown with screen used images-  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/48335-quick-crl-reference-guide-for-your-ot-build-pics-notes-tips/

Always feel free to ask as many questions as you like, no matter how small.  We are here to help every step of the way!!  

hey.  i like paint templates.  if you have a really steady hand and mix paint perfectly, maybe you won't need them.

if you use them be careful about the placement, curves the right way, pencil thickness from the cheek.  then put one on slowly and press it down as flat as you can.  do the other.  then paint white paint in the template and let it dry.  paint a second coat of white.  let it dry.  the white pain fills all the gaps and imperfect spots.  the blue will sit perfect now.

paint: mix it. a lot. an awful lot. when you feel done, keep mixing. i uses a thin wooden stir stick from coffee shops.  go nuts slowly mixing it.  like for five minutes.  then paint.  if the blue goes on less than perfectly blue, this is the first coat. let it dry.  repeat.

same for any template really and the black edges around traps.

brushes: the bigger the brush the bigger the mess. use a decent size round pointed one.

L2 and L3

Build it to the red standards.  red meets or exceeds blue in most cases since it (L3) is highest echelon. 

After basic approval at your garrison, make your EIB thread here with all the pics hosted somewhere else and just linked here.  Once that award is in hand, repeat for Centurion.

easy peasy.

Edited by sylverbard
  • Like 1