Help! Broken rivet

TK92626

The rivet in my crotch broke, and I have a troop tomorrow. Any suggestion on how to repair or replace it? It's an RS Hero outfit and I've only worn it a few times. This is the rivet that holds the elastic for the crotch strap in place. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

3 hours ago, Frank75139 said:

Glue the elastic end with a small amount of e6000 so it’s temporary. When your done the troop, drill out the rivet and put in a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drilling out the rivet will melt the plastic so I wouldnt suggest that ;)

Mark (AP)

Edited by ABS80

1 hour ago, Frank75139 said:

Not if you do it right. Small drillbit it’ll fall out

But should be specified because someone who never did it assumes you just drill out without consequences, even small drill bit creates enough heat to melt plastic especially if plastic is thin.

Mark (AP)

Edited by ABS80
  • Like 1

But should be specified because someone who never did it assumes you just drill out without consequences, even small drill bit creates enough heat to melt plastic especially if plastic is thin.

Mark (AP)

Ok, I just assumed common sense tells someone that if you use a bit bigger then the rivet, it’ll obviously make the whole bigger, therefore a smaller bit would be adequate. Which would mean if done properly the bit should’t really hit the plastic that much.

its not a question of making the hole bigger,  regardless the size of the bit because of the high heat  created when drilling out the rivet the plastic area around the rivet will just melt.

Mark (AP)

Edited by ABS80

its not a question of making the hole bigger,  regardless the size of the bit because of the high heat  created when drilling out the rivet the plastic area around the rivet will just melt.

Mark (AP)

Small bit, slow and steady. If they don’t feel confident they won’t do it.

• Like 1

Mark's right. The heat created by drilling out the rivet will melt the plastic if not done slowly and leave a hole the size of the rivet head. I prefer to use a large drill bit and drill into the rivet head in stages, meaning drill for a short while then let the rivet cool, then repeat until the head comes off. You don't want to drill right through the rivet - just take the head off and the rivet will come out the other side.

• Like 1

Well, round and round we went with contrasting advice in typical FISD fashion, where the only thing learned was yet again, things can be done multiple ways to achieve the same result if done properly.

Was it ever fixed?

Haven't fixed it yet. Tried to do some heavy duty velcro to hold it for the troop the next day, but it didn't quite make it. Looking online, it looks like I need to order a split rivet. Does anyone know what size I'll need? Also, I'm guessing I'll need to paint the new rivet. Suggestions on paint color and type would be appreciated! While I'm at it, some of the blue paint on the buttons on the front abdomen have chipped a bit, so if anyone has suggestions for that paint color and type, I'd appreciate hearing those as well. Thanks everyone!

13 minutes ago, TK92626 said:

Haven't fixed it yet. Tried to do some heavy duty velcro to hold it for the troop the next day, but it didn't quite make it. Looking online, it looks like I need to order a split rivet. Does anyone know what size I'll need? Also, I'm guessing I'll need to paint the new rivet. Suggestions on paint color and type would be appreciated! While I'm at it, some of the blue paint on the buttons on the front abdomen have chipped a bit, so if anyone has suggestions for that paint color and type, I'd appreciate hearing those as well. Thanks everyone!

Rivet on the cod is not to be painted, it should be brass (screen accurate) or silver and 8mm However a rivet is not needed for approval, it’s a L2 requriment. As for ab button paint, humbrol nr14, french blue is a popular choice.

• Like 1