Cutting the THIGH parts from the BOTTOM instead of the TOP?

Cgarduc

Hi!

Almost done with my ANH Stunt TK.  I'm not great at cutting the PVC so I'm pretty worried about the CURVE that goes around the top of the thigh down to the crotch.  I'd really like to NOT touch/cut it!  (I do suk at that...).    Soooooo... my question is: To keep that 'perfect shaped curve on the TOP of the thigh, is it permissible to cut the BOTTOM off instead (for adjusting the overall length of the piece?

Thank you for this  and your time too!  If you have any photos and you've actually done it, please attach 'em!     Thanks again!  - Nick

If you cut the bottoms how are you going to keep the lower ridges? Most trim the tops.

Perhaps some photos could be of help for us to give feedback ;) 

Here's a few links which may be of help for trimming the tops:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/12972-howto-make-a-return-edge-on-armor-using-a-heat-sealing-iron/

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11836-how-to-make-thigh-tops-anh-style/

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/13513-anh-thigh-tops-on-am-armor-craziness/

• Like 1

I would definitely agree with trimming from the top. Follow the shape and contour of the top edge and trim down. The screen used suits had no return edge so you are fine to remove it. Align the two halves at the bottom and leave the ridge intact. Trust me it will work out fine :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Trim top of thighs its the only altenative, just use some painters tape as a guide following original curvature and trim 1" inch off all around should be good,  you cant trim bottom make no sense you would alter the whole ridge design,  you can also trim 1-2"  bottom of shin guards so they sit lower if you need more knee/joint clearance.

Mark (AP)

Edited by ABS80
  • Like 1

Definitely from the top and as per the picture you csn use painters tap to trace out the correct curve and use this as a guide when trimming.

But as with all trimming best to start off small and take off more as you go.04e059c41ebc7ec77b10e09d9955d3c2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TK20187 said:

Definitely from the top and as per the picture you csn use painters tap to trace out the correct curve and use this as a guide when trimming.

But as with all trimming best to start off small and take off more as you go.04e059c41ebc7ec77b10e09d9955d3c2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

This exactly, always trim off only half of what you need and check, then if you still need to trim more, readjust. Easy to remove , impossible to out back and have it look perfect.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TK20187 said:

04e059c41ebc7ec77b10e09d9955d3c2.jpg

If you cut the tops of the thighs following the blue tape, you will lose the original shape. I have seen many people do this and their thighs look bad. The best way is to mark out the tops of thighs by following the tops vertically, so you keep the original shape. This way your thighs will look the same shape they did before you trimmed them, just shorter.

yRWmwGD.jpg

• Like 5

I use a technique where you attache a 2B pencil to an eraser or small piece of wood with an elastic band. You then run the block around the outline of the top of thigh and scribe a line in the exact same shape as the original shape you simply hold the block and pencil at a 90 degree angle  angle so the tip of the pencil contact the surface and away you go.

You can use the same technique to shorten the shins from the bottom.

I'll get a photo up when I have a minute and it will make perfect sense.

PuK8eG6.jpg?1

vUsL9RE.jpg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Sly11 said:

I use a technique where you attache a 2B pencil to an eraser or small piece of wood with an elastic band. You then run the block around the outline of the top of thigh and scribe a line in the exact same shape as the original shape you simply hold the block and pencil at an angle so the tip of the pencil contact the surface and away you go.

You can use the same technique to shorten the shins from the bottom.

I'll get a photo up when I have a minute and it will make perfect sense.

You can do this but you must keep the pencil and wood/eraser/spacer vertical along the top of the thigh or you get the weird shape. 

3 hours ago, troopermaster said:

You can do this but you must keep the pencil and wood/eraser/spacer vertical along the top of the thigh or you get the weird shape. 

Even how you say it can still be confusing Paul.

Maybe 90 degree angle to the surface you are scribing on  is easier. It will make sense once I have the chance to add the image I believe.

Awesome - and I'll copy it to a TIP/HOWTO with your names on it.  Wish I had thought of this when I was starting out - would have made things simpler.

I added two images to my original post.
This is how I have trimmed several kits to emulate the same lines as original shape and it has worked well.
If there is a better way than that is fantastic and I eager to learn more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul is definitely right. If you trim an even amount from the edge of the thigh, this spacing from the inner edge to the cover stripe gets way to narrow and makes the thighs look incorrect.

imagep17.jpg

The white trim lines he indicated in the picture he posted are the ones I would follow too.

These may not be the best photos but you can see the silver lines do not represent the original shape of the thigh tops. The silver lines were drawn keeping the same distance all the way around the top of the thigh, going in from all angles. The black like represents the original shape much better. The black line was drawn keeping the pen vertical from the top edge. I simply used my finger as a spacer and kept my hand parallel from my table, making sure I only took the height off the thigh - not the width.

6Fym2dy.jpgF5OKiZS.jpgYNZgDPV.jpg

• Like 3

On 3/2/2020 at 6:08 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

If you cut the bottoms how are you going to keep the lower ridges? Most trim the tops.

Perhaps some photos could be of help for us to give feedback ;) 

Here's a few links which may be of help for trimming the tops:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/12972-howto-make-a-return-edge-on-armor-using-a-heat-sealing-iron/

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11836-how-to-make-thigh-tops-anh-style/

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/13513-anh-thigh-tops-on-am-armor-craziness/

I need to trim some of the top off of my thigh are also but there's no return Edge on it. Why are some people making return edges on their body armor After they trim the top off?

You really don't need any return edges on the tops of the thighs, Alan.  It's not a requirement at any level of approval.

8 hours ago, Mad Dog 20/20 said:

I need to trim some of the top off of my thigh are also but there's no return Edge on it. Why are some people making return edges on their body armor After they trim the top off?

Can be for looks or size, I have thin legs so the extra return edge material takes up the gap, without them my thighs would flop around.

1 hour ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Can be for looks or size, I have thin legs so the extra return edge material takes up the gap, without them my thighs would flop around.

Maybe that's what I should do to mine also. But mine fit pretty snug at the top of my leg. But it is a little bit too long. So just the inner part of my thigh needs to be trimmed up a little bit. So I may just trim some off and not have a return Edge

• Like 1

• 5 months later...