TLJ / TROS CRL Update Work Flow

So only the helmet clips are different?

We will certainly work towards a new model for the main CRL images to keep it inline and accurate with the changes we are proposing.

12 hours ago, Sly11 said:

So only the helmet clips are different?

Appears so, a few comparisons

Ā 

clips.thumb.png.ede6136c97bdb5f9c06f723461fc933e.png

Ā 

• Like 1

Amendment for the Thermal detonator still needs further refinement.

Ā 

Because both the TFA version and the newer TLJ are both seen in the film, I think at basic level we can make an allowance for either.

Ā 

• The thermal detonator mounting plate sits under the backplate and rests above the belt.
  • The small slot along the top of the detonatorĀ is black
  • The control panel is black.
  • The righthand recessed end cape is black.
  • The lefthand end cap extends from the detonator assembly and is black all around the cylinder as well as the end surface.
  • TFA Thermal Detonator is allowed at basic level.
  • The left-hand end cap extends from the detonator assembly and is all black.
  • There should be no visible seams.

Ā 

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

• TFA Thermal Detonatorversion is not permissible.
  • A small section of black around the base of the left extended end cap shall be present.

OPTIONAL Level three certification (if applicable):

The end cap is part of a tube that extends into the length of the detonator

The small recess along the top of the detonator is cut out showing the black tube inside

The control panel along the back of the detonator is cut out showing the black tube inside

Ā 

Where I like this information for Centurion, currently we are faced with no maker that I am aware of, supplying this as an accurate piece. This basically would prevent many from achieving this level until such time as one is available.

Ā 

Ā 

I've already been studying my TLJ detonator, it's just a case of cutting off the endcap , enlarging the opening on the detonator slightly, finding tube same size asĀ the edcap, make an inner sleeve with some scrap ABS, glue, fill and paint, then insert, of course cutting out the top slot and control panel first. I think this is quite easily achievable so not a big issue if they aren't being supplied by anyone.

Ā 

I will just mentionĀ that we alsoĀ have other things in the CRL which have to be sourced modified for L3 and also in TFA, such as rubber gaskets, separate forearm box, separate TD to mount plate, seam between ab boxes and ab and so on. Also L2 TLJ correct style cod which also needs to be modified/made.

Ā 

57 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I've already been studying my TLJ detonator, it's just a case of cutting off the endcap , enlarging the opening on the detonator slightly, finding tube same size asĀ the edcap, make an inner sleeve with some scrap ABS, glue, fill and paint, then insert, of course cutting out the top slot and control panel first. I think this is quite easily achievable so not a big issue if they aren't being supplied by anyone.

Ā 

I will just mentionĀ that we alsoĀ have other things in the CRL which have to be sourced modified for L3 and also in TFA, such as rubber gaskets, separate forearm box, separate TD to mount plate, seam between ab boxes and ab and so on. Also L2 TLJ correct style cod which also needs to be modified/made.

Ā 

Not all TD's are ABS, KB is resin so might be a little difficult depending on how thick/thin it is.

Cod is easier than most other modifications tbh, and there are 3 different cods seen on screen, so are they all right or wrong?

If no one is making a specific TD then it might be a change that has to wait a while longer.

Ā 

1 hour ago, Sly11 said:

Not all TD's are ABS, KB is resin so might be a little difficult depending on how thick/thin it is.

Cod is easier than most other modifications tbh, and there are 3 different cods seen on screen, so are they all right or wrong?

If no one is making a specific TD then it might be a change that has to wait a while longer.

Ā 

But there are makers that do, just like the separate forearm box in the past, KB doesn't, and there's a few KB builds with modifications to those here on our forumĀ ;)

Ā 

Not all makers are aware of this TD information, many I doubt have seen the images, that's not to say they may modify what they supply if it's a requirement in the CRL I really couldn't say.

Ā 

I guess the question would be, is it the job to make CRL's to what is seen on screen or on what can be provide by ALL suppliers. AlsoĀ if suppliers don't provide reasonably correctĀ pieces is it up to us to reach outĀ and provide information.

Ā 

I will just concentrateĀ researchingĀ  differences and the corresponding reference material andĀ worry about text later, no doubt there could beĀ lots of discussion later on

Ā 

• Like 1

Not sure I can contribute to this discussion.

The 3D print files I and a couple of others are using, does have a separate tube piece.

85a6d33a1b3a20aa9ce58e9e514ae444.jpg

However, it is a TFA one.
That said the designer has changed parts on request before - forearms for example

• Like 1

I think this is a real possibility specially if the modeller can make a TLJ specific version.

The only trouble I see would be that it fits to the shape of the various back plates available with it's width.

Sure some sanding grinding and bondo could probably alleviate that and I think it's a better solution as opposed to attempting to modify something and potentially ruining it.

Ā 

Mark, care to share who the designer is? If he is selling these files, I think many would be interested.

Would be great to talk with him and see if we cant encourage him to do a TLJ specific version. We can share some resources with them.

Ā 

Ā 

Glen where are these makers that do make a correct TD, images would be very handy for this thread please.

5 hours ago, funkster said:

Just a question about the armour/blaster parts that are listed as ā€œblackā€

Is it Matt or Satin?

In the CRL(s) it just says ā€œblackā€

Might it be helpful to specify?

This is a tricky one as in some images it certainly looks Matt and in others it does look Satin.

At this stage we are looking to correct the differences we have between the armours of the 2 films and also obvious distinct differences in the weapons and load outs.

We will get to those finer details of colour type if we have some solid evidence it is one or the other.

KB props used to supply ABS detonators and he may very well be able to supply again so an inner tube/end cap could be used.

26779408869_711953ea76_k.jpg

Ā 

850 armorworks used to have an ABS detonator, no idea what they currently supply but no reason they couldn't

1d9323516103d1e90183e0f0b3b2ac48.jpg

Ā 

Jim's I haven't had one in front of me but going off other pieces I have seen should be able to be modified, it is a molded one piece. Separation between detonator and backplate would be a little more challenging.

023ba60930929a56c055a254f1e14f3d.thumb.jpg.7c477dad464eb1573d9bde971556aaaa.jpg

Ā 

Walt's I haven't seen any images of what he supplies as yet.

Ā 

Anovos, ok I know they are no longer supplying but there are a lot of kits out there, which could be converted

IMG_6924.jpg.b806df4af5f5f0d77f223761fa77c03b.jpg

Ā 

Again this comes down to my earlier question, do we make CRL's to fit suppliers or screen accuracy and do we need to update suppliers on CRL needs so they may be able to change how they produce some pieces and supply pieces in future.

Ā 

IĀ  wonder how many suppliers make the different TLJ helmet clips, I haven't researched that.Ā 

5 hours ago, funkster said:

Just a question about the armour/blaster parts that are listed as ā€œblackā€

Is it Matt or Satin?

In the CRL(s) it just says ā€œblackā€

Might it be helpful to specify?

Ā 

To me the blaster appears satin blackĀ in this LFL display anyway, which is what I've been using. I think you will find matt gives a flat, lighter black appearance with no shine but satan does give some shin depending on lighting

stormtrooper-blaster-last-jedi-2-nycc-20

Ā 

1868409374_stormtrooper-blaster-last-jedi-nycc-2017-1024x768(1).thumb.jpg.b6e8f3332abdc10beff86a75b01cf5fe.jpg

Ā 

• Like 2

On 8/8/2021 at 9:43 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

KB props used to supply ABS detonators and he may very well be able to supply again so an inner tube/end cap could be used.

26779408869_711953ea76_k.jpg

Ā 

850 armorworks used to have an ABS detonator, no idea what they currently supply but no reason they couldn't

1d9323516103d1e90183e0f0b3b2ac48.jpg

Ā 

Jim's I haven't had one in front of me but going off other pieces I have seen should be able to be modified, it is a molded one piece. Separation between detonator and backplate would be a little more challenging.

023ba60930929a56c055a254f1e14f3d.thumb.jpg.7c477dad464eb1573d9bde971556aaaa.jpg

Ā 

Walt's I haven't seen any images of what he supplies as yet.

Ā 

Anovos, ok I know they are no longer supplying but there are a lot of kits out there, which could be converted

IMG_6924.jpg.b806df4af5f5f0d77f223761fa77c03b.jpg

Ā 

Again this comes down to my earlier question, do we make CRL's to fit suppliers or screen accuracy and do we need to update suppliers on CRL needs so they may be able to change how they produce some pieces and supply pieces in future.

Ā 

IĀ  wonder how many suppliers make the different TLJ helmet clips, I haven't researched that.Ā 

Excellent.

I can confirm KB has moved to resin cast for sure.

Walt is a new player in this arena but I'm yet to see any close up images of his thermal detonator constructed.

This is it in parts

mopqIMq.jpg

We do have a few that supply either 3D printed or resin printed correct helmet clips, so I think this is something we can also update the suppliers list with so it is clear what type they provide.

I believe both are based on ANOVOS but could be wrong.

Ā 

We also now have someone 3D modeling the correct TD for TLJ and it will be 2 pieces with the inner tube separate along with the correct and accurate cut out provisions.

A good piece of info to obtain would be the amount of protrusion the inner cylinder has out from the end of the main body as it is a spec I haven't seen for TLJ.

On 8/8/2021 at 10:51 PM, Sly11 said:

A good piece of info to obtain would be the amount of protrusion the inner cylinder has out from the end of the main body as it is a spec I haven't seen.

Allow for the anlge of the end of the detonator to end cap onĀ the image, it's @ 1/8 of the length of the detonator, no idea what an inch/cm measurement would be until someone could get their hands on one.

68c0a0480b0ab3cfdaa9d4b94b557f98.jpg.2c1e9ee188f44112428a3a0a38287838.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

KB's TD

20200902-021028.jpg

• Like 1

A comparison of the TD's

Ā 

large.673AE330-E531-4293-AB8A-4C28B914EFB9_zpskyzr39gt.jpg.ac4941d3f45660ab3f377475e7687ffb.jpg.7adb383a4ee161484e572d555b2ceaeb.jpg

Ā 

.Would also need to add the info about the black slot on top of the TD for basic, could be painted, decal or cut out with black pipe behind.

• Like 1

For reference as this keeps coming up, although there may be some TFA style cods seen in TLJ the majority are TLJ and a different design to TFA, no inner curves on the sidesĀ and a more defined angle on the top sides as can be seen below with the reflections on the sides.

Ā 

cod.png.21c1b426f9b2dddbe047b99399132843.png

Ā 

Even Anovos changed their armor for the updated TLJ style, although they got the top of the forearms wrong, they did change helmet and cod.

cod2.thumb.png.9f1e345e016c626f7c0393be87b3dc87.png

Ā 

So question is will we be allowing TFA pieces in TLJ, I guess it's not too much of an issue for basic approvalĀ (except helmet of course) but there hasĀ to be some "normality/consistency" to CRL's and higher levels. TLJ specifically changedĀ some pieces for that particular movie, but I would say due to needing more costumes they used some pieces left over from TFA.

Ā 

Personally I would think the "consistent" appearance should be used, example we don't allow "Mr No Stipes" in ANH version so should we allow other variations on appearance seen in the movies if they are not the consistent majority?

Ā 

As example, TFA detonator

7eae17c8eaa333234f44c18620d2cd59.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Agreed.

Basic allowable for cod and maybe TD and fore arms. We will discuss further.

Above that we shoot for one look and add to EI and Centurion.

I dont recall if they still used any TFA parts in TroS will need to go take a look because if we intend to have TLJ/Tros as the same CRL then this may well change those basic allowances.

Hi,

Ā 

Regarding the TD for TFA and TLJ ,Ā  I think we could add for L2 and L3 that the TD is a separate assembling from the Back plate.

Ā 

Why so? I have seen some armor kits that has the TD mounting plate as part of the back plate.Ā  Thoughts ?

Ā 

Plate as part of the back plateĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Pipe

Ā 

6Nhjhbm.jpgĀ Ā Ā  Ā 2u2AM7O.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Legion webmaster just put a new post up about possible disruption on 13th September, in case any CRL changes/uploads are planned around that time.

Ā 

https://www.501st.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=68&p=1384437#top

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TKSpartan said:

Hi,

Ā 

Regarding the TD for TFA and TLJ ,Ā  I think we could add for L2 and L3 that the TD is a separate assembling from the Back plate.

Ā 

Why so? I have seen some armor kits that has the TD mounting plate as part of the back plate.Ā  Thoughts ?

Ā 

Plate as part of the back plateĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Pipe

Ā 

6Nhjhbm.jpgĀ Ā Ā  Ā 2u2AM7O.jpg

Which make is that Mario, can't say I've seen that before. I think the issue there is we know the mount plate is separate and should be for basic so this maker may want to adjust as all the others supply separate. Looks like a soft pull also.Ā 

5 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Which make is that Mario, can't say I've seen that before. I think the issue there is we know the mount plate is separate and should be for basic so this maker may want to adjust as all the others supply separate. Looks like a soft pull also.Ā 

850 Armorworks is the maker.Ā 

Ā 

https://850armorworks.com/First-Order-Stormtrooper-ABS-Armor-costume-kit-p145033020

Ā 

1 minute ago, TKSpartan said:

You can see that there are several detailsĀ 

I didn't notice that in the image I posted further up, I wonder why they do it that way. Personally I think that's something that they should change, whether they would or not would be the question. We'll see what Andrew has to say but we've always known it's a separate piece since TFA so it's strange they wouldn't make it separate, I suppose it saves one piece of plastic.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I didn't notice that in the image I posted further up, I wonder why they do it that way. Personally I think that's something that they should change, whether they would or not would be the question. We'll see what Andrew has to say but we've always known it's a separate piece since TFA so it's strange they wouldn't make it separate, I suppose it saves one piece of plastic.

Ā 

We have this build here , and the issue is there.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1