TerribleBens R1TK adventure

TerribleBen

• 2 weeks later...

Ben,
Everything's coming together nice. Great job! Also, I think you made the right decision to 3d print those parts; the details on those greeblies are really going to pop.

I can't really tell from your pic if those are the belt boxes I designed, but I don't see the drop boxes in there. You probably have them, but I wanted to let you know a few things about the belt boxes anyways. If they are the ones I made, I'm pretty confident the beveled drops I included with the files are accurate. Check out this pic @11b30b4 posted a while back:

B4Szb9l.jpg

The other thing I've been noticing since I originally designed my belt boxes is that the trapezoid piece that sits on top of the medium boxes is wrong. The shape I made emulates what all of the makers have put in their kits, but I kind of disregarded the reference photos. Why I did that is beyond me. Honestly, I think it was because I was trying to clean up the box I had rather than emulate the screen used prop. :6:

This is the same medium size belt box that was used in a few other Anthology costumes, amongst which are the Shoretrooper (Rogue One) AT-ACT Driver (RO), Mudtrooper (Solo), and ICAT Driver (The Mandalorian). Yes, many of these are shared costumes (Shore and AT-ACT/ Muddy and ICAT), but that's the point; there's many shared costumes in the SW universe and this belt box has landed on several.

So, I know you just printed these, but I'm adjusting my file again. Don't get me wrong, the ones you have look great regardless of where they came from and they'll pass your GML review, but I know you've asked questions previously (here and on FB) about the details. This is just another one and I thought I'd reach out to help. 

Also, since you haven't posted any pictures of your belt yet, one thing you need to note about the picture on the left, is that it's actually a pre-production shot. This is kind of funny because the Stormtroopers walking through the water became one of the most iconic Rogue One images. If you look at the belt, you'll notice that it's got a little "lip" hanging down below the front boxes and that the boxes overhang the bottom of the belt; these features didn't actually make it into the movie. I looked at the 850 kit and they appear to have supplied you with two long strips of ABS for the belt, but I'll defer to you on that one. If this is the case, just don't forget to put the tabs on the top and leave it flat on the bottom, but make sure you keep a 1/8"-1/4" gap above and below the boxes (except for the aforementioned medium sized box which will be flush with the top of the belt).

Again, you kit is looking pretty good. I'm excited to see you round the corner and get this finished.

• Like 2

Ben,

I just posted the new box to my drive and updated the 3d depository thread.

Here's a look at the new medium box:
S7TGRNf.jpg

The beveled drop box is still there, but I may make one more change to it tomorrow, the back needs to be hollowed out.
Please reach out if you have any questions

• Like 2

On 9/17/2021 at 2:58 PM, TerribleBen said:

I stopped posting to the Facebook feed. I am staying with this one though.

That's not a bad idea at all. Lol. That particular FB page is good for research, but the FISD forum and FB page are the preferred way to go. This is where the depth of knowledge is, especially since you're looking to get an approved costume. 
I did make two more changes to the boxes yesterday, but they're likely my last tweaks. Lol... until I find something else.

Nvr4ug1.jpg

Zrbt3L2.jpg

• Like 1

Ben,
You can still glue your elastic on the back of the drop boxes without cutting a relief into them; aesthetically, it doesn't make a huge difference. Honestly, I wasn't going to do this until I I started playing with my ICAT belt boxes which are attached similarly. The cool thing about having that hollow back is you can really glob some glue back there and it won't be seen. Needless to say, I had a ICAT drop box "wardrobe malfunction" a few weeks ago during a troop and learned my lesson. Lol.    

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After lots of sanding and filler primer the boxes are ready to mount. I got some 8/32 machine bolts and JB welded them into holes I drilled in the back of each box. The longer bolts are to mount the belt to the abdomen. This is my first mock up-exciting!img%5Dimg%5D

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TerribleBen said:

After lots of sanding and filler primer the boxes are ready to mount. I got some 8/32 machine bolts and JB welded them into holes I drilled in the back of each box. The longer bolts are to mount the belt to the abdomen. This is my first mock up-exciting

This looks great Ben. I've basically finished the front part of my belt and I'm looking for some guidance on the back part and how it attaches to the front part.....or if it attaches at all. Does the back overlap the front on the sides? Is there velcro there or what is the back part of the belt attached to? 

Something else that I'm also wondering about; on just about every photo from R1, it looks like the back part of the belt is kind of hanging down probably because of the thermal detonator. I'm curious if there is a way to fix that. 

Edited by JasonG
mispelling

I am having thoughts about the back also. I think Velcro is the way, yes it overlaps the front on the sides. I also noticed the notch for the back plate!  After I get the front attached I am onto the back belt….we will see. Have fun!

• Like 1

Yeah also was looking into the backplate as well. I've got velcro going around the sides and around the back that will keep it in place. But I'm not sure how the backplate will play into all of this. For some reason the belt seems to be much more tedious than I imagined. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great work on this Ben. I didn't realize how much work needs to go into this armor. The results are great so far and can't wait to see this completed. Keep up the great work and updates. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Exciting times. Nothing worse than waiting for the temperature to warm up so you can paint.

• Like 1

CRL image is incorrect, most paint the rectangle grey, albeit looks black in this image, it's definitely not blue

large.28089814890_4b2f7a7b57_o.jpg.56b12

zNDAc7J.jpg

Approved EIB

mvsD3K9.jpg

• Like 1

Both challenging and FUN!!!! I submitted pics to Garrison Titan today!!!!! ROTJ blaster cuz it is the only one I have finished!  LOL!           Thank you all for the help on this adventure and I hope to troop soon! Now to the weapons locker!img%5D

• Like 5

Good luck, hope you hear something soon, no matter how many costumes you build everyone is nerve racking until you hear good news 

• Like 1