TerribleBens R1TK adventure

TerribleBen

Hey everyone, found some time to work my armor. Got the chest and back trimmed out, now on to the pesky shoulder straps. I am definitely looking at all the posts to see how to do this if you have any faves or recommendations please feel free to let me know!img%5D

• Like 2

Here is the mock up of my chest and back plate. I think 2 inches is too far under the shoulder bridge and I think the width of the tabs under the mounting slots needs to be the same....All thoughts and opinions on this are welcome! Thanks to all for the help....img%5Dimg%5Dimg%5D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finished the shoulder straps and will mount bells soon. Almost ready to wear the full kit minus belt for first time! Will be able to adjust fit and post some preliminary pics! Then paint!img%5D

• Like 2

I'm also building a ROTK from 850 Armor Works, so I'm watching with keen interest :). What did you use to trim the hand plate slots? I was going to try a dremel bit and not go too deep. Will try it on scrap first.

Edited by Moredhel

• 3 weeks later...

Looking great! I love how the helmet is coming out. If I ever get a chance I want to try this with a BS helmet if I can buy one still. 

My cover strips are resin cast. I used a belt sander to flatten the backs so I could glue them to the abs parts. I also used needle files to clean out the groves in the front. Lots of time spent there. I'm starting on the details for the ab front and back plate now. These are also cast. I will post pics as I go.  Then on to the belt and thermo detonator! Hope your having fun and good luck!

On 6/13/2021 at 4:47 PM, TerribleBen said:

My cover strips are resin cast. I used a belt sander to flatten the backs so I could glue them to the abs parts. I also used needle files to clean out the groves in the front. Lots of time spent there. I'm starting on the details for the ab front and back plate now. These are also cast. I will post pics as I go.  Then on to the belt and thermo detonator! Hope your having fun and good luck!

My bad, you're right. I was thinking 3D printing because I'm pretty sure the molds he uses for the resin are 3D printed - you can see the ridges of the layers. I'm doing a lot of filing too. Especially on the higher step above the angled base, it seems like the surfaces aren't all aligned very well, have imperfections, etc. It's probably the weakest area of the 850 kit in my opinion, but I don't know what others do.

It probably took me over an hour to sand and file this forearm trim piece. Untrimmed one to the left, nearly finished piece on the right.

R1jxPL0.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Got some time and started on the details for my kit! The 850 kit has some casting flaws I need to fix......My brother Mike has a printer and made me the parts for an awesome looking T Det  thanks Mike!img%5Dimg%5Dimg%5D

• Like 1