Highlander’s AP ANH Stunt Build

rwmead10

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I guess I am rusty. After months of researching the measurements for the butt plate male snaps, I measured 5/8” and 1 3/8” and centered the holes. If you can see from my picture, I actually measured 1 3/16” which put the holes too close together...something i didn’t notice until after drilling the holes. After drilling the correct hole, you could see light through the extra hole that wasn't covered by the snap. So I got a leather punch, punched an ABS plug and used the snap to keep it in place. The process was infinitely more frustrating than that. Hopefully this passes approvals. 
AI8ZhVm.jpg

Zessy81.jpg
jKGSh2F.jpg

Cxl9xyf.jpg
fN3YULX.jpg

2CCUpQL.jpg

• Like 2

Nice positioning of the snap plates to the ends of the butt plate, many position these too short and the butt plate can flare out.

Nice work, coming along great

• 2 years later...

Moving really delays hobbies.

I finally got my build out and made some progress. Following Mayo’s AP build, I made 4 plates to reinforce the shoulder elastic. These are 2” x 1” and the holes for the snaps are a 5/32” drill bit. Then I used a 13/64” drill bit to make the snap sit a little more flush. My chest and backplate are about 3.5” inches apart at the shoulder. I glued the plates into the elastic and clamped to dry.

IyWotfB.jpg

KRcltzd.jpg

Trim off the return edge on your butt plate (and cod if present) so that it's just flat plastic. You'll crack the butt plate from just crotch-strap pressure otherwise. With no return edge, there's no stress fracture waiting to happen.

That Wolf Tactical belt is great. I've used it and recommended it to locals.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished the garter belt straps. I also created some boot straps to hold them closed, inspired by the company boot snakes. Since my boots are size 13, the tops are too wide for the shin armor to fit over. This helps but I will need to reshape the right shin because it will not fully close.

vTt1Gp6.jpg

Eu03J5k.jpg
hm72ao6.jpg

amkR0oD.jpg
D2Je94A.jpg

Your shins should sit a lot lower. You could perhaps use some heat to open them a little more OR try larger cover strips on the rear which will definitely give you more room

xlZW2Xm.jpg  

Here's a comparison with another AP, note how much room around the knees there is.

ErbaXIJ.jpg

Definitely don't go cutting mobility cuts until you are wearing all of the armor, I've seen a few that trim them then are left with huge gaps on the back as they really weren't needed

• Like 1